Nice Sick policy

southsider2k5

The other side of the coin is the company I used to work for, Citadel Broadcasting.

They just fired a morning guy for having cancer. He revealed it to them after he was recovering and seems to be on the mend. Cancer seems to be gone. But he's fired anyway. Anything to save on insurance I guess

I take it that they had some kind of other excuse to fire him? Otherwise they have a big fat lawsuit headed their way...

I take it that they had some kind of other excuse to fire him?  Otherwise they have a big fat lawsuit headed their way...

Depends on the laws. Florida is a right to work state and they can fire you for anything. Illinois however is much different. An employer needs written documentation and a mandatory "probation" before they can terminate (unless it's for such things as stealing, intoxicated on the job, divulging sensitive company info, etc, etc..). And sometimes even being terminated for those things can still net you unemployment.

I am wondering if this is because the police are probably self insured for short term disability and long term diability doesn't kick in until after the 365 days are used up.

Many companies have a three tier progarm with this benefit:

Tier One Company Paid Sick Days

Tier Two Short Term disability

Tier Four Long Term disability

Put another way, one company I worked for dropped their short term disability insurance after the determined they were paying $$$$$ and by self insuring and paying people as if they were working, it would cost $$$. So basically I would be charged on my budget for every one of my employee's illnesses until long term disability kicked in after 6 months.

Then when their long term disability rates went up, they negotiated a policy that wouldn't kick in until the employee missed 1 year. Since there was no short term disability insurance, each employee was given, in effect, 365 company paid sick days, before long term disability started footing the bill.