Buerhle quote

YASNY

This is what Buerhle had to say after hearing about the Colon deal:

"Go ahead and stick him in as the No. 1," Buehrle said. "I've always said I don't care about being the ace. I'm just one of five starters. I couldn't care less if I don't start the opener. I'll do whatever it takes to help us win. I see him as our No. 1 guy, and if I get thrown in at No. 2, 3 or 4, I really don't care."

Can you believe this guy? After the Sox sticking him for $15K last year, he still has such a great attitude. I hope signing Mark is the priority before signing Colon. Get back to the negotiating table KW!

Guest hotsoxchick1

hmmm not sure how to take that one.... I DONT CARE... that could be the underlying meaning here..........ill save judgement on this one for now........

hmmm not sure how to take that one.... I DONT CARE... that could be the underlying meaning here..........ill save judgement on this one for now........

you would have to hear his tone of voice to see if he was being sarcastic or not but the words themselves , if taken correctly , seems like the kind of guy buehrle is...humble but confident..

if i was GM i gaurentee id have buehrle inked to a 5 year deal...he is one pitcher worth a long term contract...

This is good. Buerhle just wants to play ball. I think everyone looks into many of his quotes too much. You guys really think Buerhle is the only pitcher out there or player arbitration eligible that has turned down multi year deals?

Some guys just want to do things different. Wood has turned down multi year deals and he hasn't said he wants to go elsewhere.

Lets just enjoy however long he's with us. He's a great pitcher and I love watching him throw. I just want the season to start cause its going to be a fun time.

Some guys just want to do things different.  Wood has turned down multi year deals and he hasn't said he wants to go elsewhere.  

but buehrle has said he wants to go elsewhere..to st louis

kw needs to mend this fence and get buehrle signed long term

Well, if they don't want to discuss a deal for the time being, I don't see a flaw in that. If you keep trying to milk it (The Sox) then you could really harm things.

Sometimes its best to break things off and go year by year, then talk to him in another year and see if his thoughts are different. If you keep trying to jam something down his throat, you could really tick him off.

I also know that plenty of players have said they want to play here or there, it doesn't mean its going to happen. Has he ever said he's not happy in a Sox uni?

I haven't heard it, he also said that(Whole St Louis Thing) just once.

Guest hotsoxchick1

you would have to hear his tone of voice to see if he was being sarcastic or not but the words themselves , if taken correctly , seems like the kind of guy buehrle is...humble but confident..

if i was GM i gaurentee id have buehrle inked to a 5 year deal...he is one pitcher worth a long term contract...

thats what i was thinking .. i would have had to hear it come out of his mouth to know what he meant by it.... but for now ill take it as he wasnt being sarcastic..............i just didnt want to sound too stuck up about it ya know.......im sure mark meant it in a humble way.. he is a very nice guy.. but then again kw may have pissed him off alot and who knows what could be going through is head these days.....right??? thats why ill just save judgememt on this one.............

Actually, I have to say that after seeing your post, I went back and reread what was said. I do have to consider your point of view a possibility in this case, HSC. Though I still disagree with you on KW. :)

This is good.  Buerhle just wants to play ball.  I think everyone looks into many of his quotes too much.

Buehrle's a professional. There was no sarcasm from him when he said this, trust me. He may not care for KW and may, ultimately, want to go and pitch for his favorite boyhood team, the St. Louis Cardinals, but MB will never, EVER, consciously or unconsciously cause a clubhouse distraction simply because JM may (or may not) move him down to the #2. Trust me when I say this..... Buehrle knows what Colon brings to the table and he will (probably already does) realize what a one-two punch himself and Colon have the possibilities of becoming. I think some people just can't give a smidgen of credit where credit is due. Does this one move make us the WS favorites? No. But it does make us a better team than we were last Thursday. Even those that can't give KW any credit have to, in the back of their minds, acknowledge that..... whether they voice it or not.

Sometimes its best to break things off and go year by year, then talk to him in another year and see if his thoughts are different.  If you keep trying to jam something down his throat, you could really tick him off.

And you never know, if the Sox have a great year this year. Which is looking more likely after yesterday....Mark may want to stick around, assuming for the moment he doesn't already (which I doubt).

And you never know, if the Sox have a great year this year.  Which is looking more likely after yesterday....Mark may want to stick around, assuming for the moment he doesn't already (which I doubt).

To add to that, Buehrle might have thought KW had no intentions on building a REAL winner here when he made those comments about wanting to play for St. Loser. This trade displays that KW DOES want to produce a winner here, and maybe Buehrle will sign a new contract with us because of that.

That quote actually does kind of scare me. A pitcher has to be confident....and he isn't. He says "I don't care." That should throw up a flag, even if when he said 'I don't care' it didn't mean he didn't care about where he was in the staff. We should be worried about this.

Regarding this situation though....I am hopeful about two things, regarding Buehrle. Someone else brought up the point that he may have rejected it because he gets to be here longer because he didn't sign the contract...however, that's probably not likely. But I think that Buehrle thought that KW was a complete idiot....many still do. But if the Sox are winners this year, I don't see why we wouldn't try to lock up both Colon and Buehrle to longer contracts....maybe 3 years for Colon and 3-5 years for Buehrle....Colon at $10 mill a year or so and Buehrle at around $4-$5 mill a year....We'd have guarenteed about $55 mill or so to two guys in the rotation...but those two are pretty damn good pitchers. I'd say they're worth it.

Buehrle only hinted at going to St. Louis once in his life...he said to Walt Jocketty something like "Maybe I'll be playing down here someday" or something like that.....who says it's not around the end of his career, like when he's 37 or so, or something like that....from what I've heard, both Mark Mulder and Dan Plesac were Sox fans as kids. It doesn't mean that they will pitch for their favorite team.

Buehrle's giggling quietly inside because he knows he's gonna get 8 million out of arbitration .

I have heard mark say that before. it's nothing new. He really dont care about he whole "ace" thing. During tailgates, i've drank with Mark's bro. He tells me when mark throws a 4 hitter he comes home and mark will still think he sucks. lol

Mark might not care if he's the ace, but i think it would be a slap in the face to have Colon pitch opening day.

I must agree with HSC - we did not hear tone of voice and HSC raises very valid points, never take it at face value... and there are reasons here not to take it as it seems