Commentary: A Big Piece Added, but Not the Last

Chisoxfn

Great commentary. With all the hoopla and high fives, this puts things in the proper perspective. The Sox have strengthened themselves greatly, and did so without giving up:

A. A member of the starting rotation

B. Any starting position players

C. Either of there top 2 relief pitchers (Koch & Marte)

D. No top level prospects

Think about that for a minute. Kenny Williams just acquired a 20 game winner without significantly weakening the team in ANY area. Amazing, truly amazing! Kudos to KW!!!

However, we do have division opponent that is a very solid and fundamentally sound baseball team. You have to give the Twins their respect. They've earned it.

Besides what was mentioned in the article, I feel there is one area the really needs to be addressed. We need some LH thunder in the lineup. The Sox hit right handed pitchers pretty well overall last season... but, they did not hit the GOOD right handers well. And. folks, those good ones have a tendency to be around in October. We've got to get at least one LH thumper, or that will come back to haunt us.

Just curious, if KW thought to offer Josh Paul for Mike Barrett in that deal. That would have been a nice pick up and help the Expos clear some more salary. All in all, it's been a pretty good day to be a Sox fan, and those are seemingly few and far between. Still, that starting rotation suddenly looks DAMN good!

Oh, I agree.... I totally love this deal, and its arguably the best trade I can remember the Sox making (Matt Karcher for Jon Garland? SURE! :) ), however, I think too many people automatically assume that now we're going to win 120 games and steamroll like we did in 2000, and I don't think we're capable of doing so just yet. There are still a couple pieces of the puzzle that need to be added before we can really call ourselves legitimate World Series contenders.

But hey, nothing is guaranteed in baseball... Who knows? We sneak into the play-offs, with a 1-2 punch like we have now, anything can happen. All who, a year ago today, thought the Anaheim Angels would be defending the crown in 2003 please raise your hand.

I rest my case.

I'm raising my HAND!!!!!!

I picked them to make the playoffs and when the series picks came out I picked them to win it all, I just had the number of games out!!!

I was one of the few though. I didn't pick them to win it all at the beginning of the season, but I did say they would make the playoffs. :D

Still, the Sox do have holes and I'm loving this idea of bringing the Pudgster in.

By the way, great article Matt. It did a nice job putting things in perspective.

I picked them to make the playoffs and when the series picks came out I picked them to win it all, I just had the number of games out!!!

I was one of the few though.  I didn't pick them to win it all at the beginning of the season, but I did say they would make the playoffs. :D

Still, the Sox do have holes and I'm loving this idea of bringing the Pudgster in. 

By the way, great article Matt.  It did a nice job putting things in perspective.

i wonder what mr showtime has to say. i may have missed his comments yesterday, since he been right the last several yrs.

I was one of the few though.  I didn't pick them to win it all at the beginning of the season, but I did say they would make the playoffs.   :D

By the way, great article Matt.  It did a nice job putting things in perspective.

i wonder what mr showtime has to say. i may have missed his comments yesterday, since he been right the last several yrs.

Ya...its easy for a pessimist to be right when he talks about the Sox. I do know he's excited for this trade. Somewhere on the board he started a thread with his take.

And optimistics like me, were usually wrong ;) but NOT this year!!! :headbang

Everyone always comes to the answer man! Boo-Yah!

Anyway, I haven't made any season predictions. I'll will do so a few days before the pitchers and catchers report.

I am 2-for-2 for those of you who haven't seen me in action.

For some reason, Soxnet.net isn't working for me.

So...

Let's just say I disagree.  :D

Ya...that server is being upgraded and improved as well.

Some people may be able to acess it while others can't. The upgrading/maintenance should be done later tonight.

I didn't see the Angels winning it, but I did call them my sleeper team before the season.

Suprisingly enough, my sleeper team of the year before were teh D-backs, no lie.

I just wish the Sox can be my sleeper pick one year.

I was one of the few though.  I didn't pick them to win it all at the beginning of the season, but I did say they would make the playoffs. :D

Gord Ash picked the to win the division, I posted it on the other site and people me included laughed at it, Oakland Seattle and Texas in their wake was more impressive to me than the WS. :huh: