Grilli? Our Diamond in the rough of 04?

Loaiza21

I remember this guy being touted as a top Marlins SP prospect. They said when he's healthy he's got some great stuff. Maybe he can break spring training as the #5 starter and give us some quality starts, ya never know. I still want a #3 starter to bump Schoeneweis out of the rotation.

I remember this guy being touted as a top Marlins SP prospect. They said when he's healthy he's got some great stuff. Maybe he can break spring training as the #5 starter and give us some quality starts, ya never know. I still want a #3 starter to bump Schoeneweis out of the rotation.

If were relying on this kid to be our savior.... were f***ed.

Grilli has been a big tease for a long time.

got $1.8 million to sign from the Giants.

was the plum the Giants dangled to get Livan Hernandez.

can't throw strikes and can't stay healthy.

I think we've got a better shot getting positive results outta James Baldwin.

Sox already have a guy like that ......J.Rauch

Yeah, it's like Jon Rauch is in the witness protection program or something.

We hear nary a peep about him.

Maybe we have learned our lesson about hyping young pitching prospects. Schueler was a great one for doing that.

I for one hope Rauch will at least get a chance in the rotation next year. He's completely healthy now and he can't be any worse than Schoenweiss was last year or the year before when he was starting for the Halos. Give Jonny a chance!!! As for this Grilli guy, who knows? All you can do is give him a chance in Spring Training and hope he earns a spot in the bullpen or rotation. He may even be a possible closer option, from what I've heard about his stuff and history. A guy with great stuff and injury history may do better pitching an inning every day or two than six or seven innings every five days.

I for one hope Rauch will at least get a chance in the rotation next year. He's completely healthy now and he can't be any worse than Schoenweiss was last year or the year before when he was starting for the Halos. Give Jonny a chance!!! As for this Grilli guy, who knows? All you can do is give him a chance in Spring Training and hope he earns a spot in the bullpen or rotation. He may even be a possible closer option, from what I've heard about his stuff and history. A guy with great stuff and injury history may do better pitching an inning every day or two than six or seven innings every five days.

BigRed who used to post on ESPN a lot?

Welcome in buddy!! :cheers

Good to see an old poster, how have ya been?

Don't know if anyone posted this or not, but this is BA's analysis of the Grilli pick.

Jason Grilli, rhp

A first-round pick (drafted fourth overall out of Seton Hall) by the Giants in 1997, Grilli enjoyed a quick rise to the majors, making his debut for the Marlins in 2000. Despite injuries that have limited him over the last two seasons, the White Sox drafted him as reports that his stuff is back. Grilli went 6-2, 3.38 in Triple-A Albuquerque after rehabbing in Class A Jupiter.

Rauch was surprisingly effective during the second half of last year, though his K/9 rate continues to bleed. There is no reason that he shouldn't be given every shot to make the rotation in the spring.

And quite frankly, worst case, the Sox need to put him in the pen, protect his ERA and K/9, and then try to deal him at midseason. There's a word for prospects that are 25 or 26 and always seem to be one step away.

They're called "former" prospects.

Don't know if anyone posted this or not, but this is BA's analysis of the Grilli pick.

Think if the Sox had someone in AAA putting up those kind of numbers as a starter and had good stuff, I think we'd be talking about him.

I like this move cause it means Munoz can get a little more time as can Rauch (I don't believe he's back yet, although the 2nd half of the season was a nice start. Grilli has great stuff and I think could turn into a pretty damn good sleeper pick.

It comes down to taking the word of the Sox scouts who believe Grilli is finally healthy and ready to contribute.

The thing is, depth is so important. You need to have 15 or so pitchers who are major league ready. At some point, it's up to these guys to step up and make a statement. Rauch is a good case in point. Down in Tucson last spring, we went to a game he was starting at Hi Corbett vs. the Rockies. He was all over the place, control was bad, and he got knocked around. Worse, you could see him hanging his head. Clearly, he was lacking confidence, and admitted as such in the papers the next day.

It is definitely time for some of these young guys to step up, especially those who have been in pro ball for a few years now and can't seem to harness their control and/or repeat their delivery. Guys like Rauch, Ginter come to mind. A guy like Wyatt Allen too.

Fact is, though, some guys will never break through. That's why it's important to pick up guys like Grilli. No one will count on him as 100% making the team, but it does provide competition. All of which is good. And it's a very low risk move.

Uribe and Grilli...hmmmm...when do playoff tickets go on sale?

:cheers

Something will happen, they'll add some players before the season starts.

All of these sarcastic "where do I get my playoff tickets" posts are a waste of bandwith. We get it already, you're frustrated ... so are the rest of us, we feel your pain.

Knowing Reinsdorf's reluctance to part with $25K, I'd be somewhat surprised if Grilli wasn't on the 25 man all year long.

Unless he's DL'd again.  Speaking of which, does anybody know the rules about DLing Rule 5 draftees?

As long as they are on the major league DL, you can sit them there. Of course it has to be a valid injury. Or at least thats how I think it works. And of course they'd have to stay on your 40 man roster.

Knowing Reinsdorf's reluctance to part with $25K, I'd be somewhat surprised if Grilli wasn't on the 25 man all year long.

Unless he's DL'd again.  Speaking of which, does anybody know the rules about DLing Rule 5 draftees?

It isn't like the NBA where a player can be "injured" for no reason. The players union would cry bloody murder. But as long as he is on the Sox DL, it could be all year and it would fulfill the roster requirements.

Another alternative is to work out a trade so that the Sox can send him to AAA.

Eric Hinske was a prime example. He was taken in the Rule 5 draft by Oakland from the Cubs. Oakland wanted to keep him, but not at the Major League level, so they traded Scott Chiasson to the Cubs.

There are other examples, but that is one from off the top of my mind.