ESPN Player Page for Ponson says he is a sock

maggsmaggs

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White Sox move

Though it had not been made official by Sunday evening, it appeared that the Chicago White Sox had signed starter Sidney Ponson to a three-year, $18 million deal.

Ponson was 14-6 with a 3.77 ERA for the Orioles last season before being dealt to San Francisco Giants, where he was 3-6 with a 3.71 ERA.

Well, from whitesox.com:

Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf met with Barry Praver, the agent for Sidney Ponson, prior to the general manager meetings Monday morning. The big right-hander has long been a favorite of the White Sox brass and was often mentioned as a possible acquisition prior to last season’s trade deadline.

Ponson, 27, finished 17-12 with a 3.75 earned run average over 216 innings with the Orioles and Giants in 2003. He reportedly would command a three-year deal worth around $18 million, much like the contract Kelvim Escobar signed with the Angels in November.

Praver expects Ponson to sign with some team this week. The White Sox are one from that group in pursuit.

Well color me stumped if it's true.

Consider the following:

--Pettite getting almost 11 per.

--Bartolo signs a 4 year deal worth app 13 Mill a year.

--Millwood's agent's on record to be seeking 12-14 Mill per (he'll get 10-12).

--K. Escobar, a no-name CAREER 4.60 ERA pitcher got multi-year deal at 6.25 per

--24yo Mark Burhle in the FIRST year of arbitration eligibility got 3/18

--Ponson already rejected a 3/21 offer from a team which he has all the reasons in the world to give a discount to (right, Steff?), especially now that they are set on buying half the FA pool and become competitive...

So why would he come here for only 3/18 again? Especially considering other teams are (probably) offering more and don't have Sox' payroll issues and "player-friendly" reputation.........Chicago is the best city in America, true, but is it that beautiful for him to give up millions upon millions of dollars?

Please explain this to me.

who said Ponson was offered more money than 3yr $18 mil?

who said Ponson is actually worth more than that?

3yr $18 mil is what Ponson is looking for and that is really what he's worth. Will he get more? perhaps, I'm sure some team could very well go out and offer $7-8 mil a season, but I don't see it going anywhere higher than that.

who said Ponson was offered more money than 3yr $18 mil?

who said Ponson is actually worth more than that?

3yr $18 mil is what Ponson is looking for and that is really what he's worth.  Will he get more? perhaps, I'm sure some team could very well go out and offer $7-8 mil a season, but I don't see it going anywhere higher than that.

If we get him at that price, which I think is very resonable, then major props to KW. :cheers