Seattle Mariner Updates

DonkeyKongerko

Quoth Rotoworld:

According to the Seattle Times, the Mariners are close to acquiring Omar Vizquel from Cleveland, probably for Carlos Guillen. The Indians would save $4.5 million in the deal and might also get a prospect or two. Vizquel could turn down the trade, but it's believed he's willing to go back to the town where he started his career.

Looks like Valentin is not the best SS on the market.

The Mariners have offered Freddy Garcia a one-year contract with a cut in pay from the $6.875 million he made last season. Seattle isn't going to go to arbitration with Garcia, and it appears that the team is having a tough time trading him because everyone expects him to be non-tendered. Interestingly, Garcia's agent revealed yesterday that the right-hander spent last season pitching with two burst eardrums. "Is that why he was hot in one month and struggled in another? I don't know," agent Peter Greenberg said. "But I've got to believe it didn't help."

I'm not sure how much they offered him but does Freddy think he can get a better offer elsewhere?

The Mets and Mariners were still discussing a Roger Cedeno-for-Jeff Cirillo swap yesterday. The Mets don't want Cirillo and the Mariners have no interest in Cedeno, but for some reason, it still looks like a deal could happen.

I can say it is my honest opinion that Billy Koch is worth more than either of these guys.