Someone help me out here.

Bighurt52235

There are talks of us acquiring Carl Everett in a trade.  If they wanted him this much, wouldn't a deal have been worked out? Also, couldn't we have given him 2 years for 7 million? Damn, that kinda pisses me off.

we would have had to pay him 7 million next year if we wanted him......because we would have had to offer him arbitration and he would have accepted it and then we'd have to give him tons of cash

In response to both of those posts, we wouldn't have had to offer him arbitration to sign him, we could have just worked out a deal.

Also, yes, he was signed by the Expos, but in a couple of threads it is mentioned us acquiring him in a trade. I would love to have him back, but I don't understand why, if they want him this much, did they just not sign him as a free agent.

we would have had to pay him 7 million next year if we wanted him......because we would have had to offer him arbitration and he would have accepted it and then we'd have to give him tons of cash

It makes no sense. They could have signed him before December 7th, the arbitration deadline. They could have offered him arbitration under the condition he would refuse it, in order to buy time to negotiate. The way this scenerio plays out, the Sox are giving prospects away for nothing. I think the guy, Otis, on the other board is full of it, and is taking a lot of people for a ride.

Could be that Everett unsuccessfully gambled that the Sox would offer him arbitration.

But this is probably just a silly rumor.

KW made it clear from the start, even telling Everett he would not be offered arbitration. The guy on the other board really has everyone going. Supposedly, Boston is going to pay $5 million of Ramirez contract. Even after losing Nomar, they added Foulke and Schilling, I doubt they could afford Magglio. Magglio has to stay. My wife and I named our puppy after him, and are bringing him to Dog Day next season.

Could be that Everett unsuccessfully gambled that the Sox would offer him arbitration.

But this is probably just a silly rumor.

Or that his agent felt like he would get more from someone else. Or that he wanted a two year deal and the Sox would only offer him one. Lots of possibilities.