Maggs should stay

Ozzietheairedale

Shouldn't we be getting happy if the Dodgers get someone good as opposed to the Os, since the Dodgers are NL (who we do not play and the cubs will play)?

I know the KW-Evans thingy and the Dodgers wanting pitchjing for PK thingy, but let it go.....dodger hatred is not where it is at

About 1....Eric Gagne.

So mebelieves they have a massive case of STFU headin' their way.

Konerko may ge back to 850 OPS/100 RBI ways next year, who's to say.

While Perez is a 4.50+ EREA pitcher in AL, away from Dodger Stadium, at best.

Now that Maggs and Nomar and Valentin and Koch are seemingly getting dumped for prospects, Sox can wait on Konerko, auditiion him in ST and April (he likes Aprils) and then get more for him from other teams.

Meanwhile Dodgers are going to be back 5-6 games of the Ginats by that point.

Exactly what this team does NOT need now is to get rid of a guy who wants to be here and replace him with a locker room cancer who doesnt like the city... How much money would we be saving anyway??

In the Nomar trade, I believe the number is very small....not sure which way it is though. We may be taking on the amount, we may be saving it, I'm not sure.

That's besides the point. This is a baseball move, plain and simple. We get a top tier SS(which we cannot say about Maggs...I would not say that he is a top tier OFer....maybe a top tier RFer, but you have to consider the likes of Vlad, Sheff, Ichiro, Abreu, Green(when healthy), Walker, Giles, Berkman, and even Huff. That's not saying that all those guys are better then Maggs as a player, but rather what their value is. I'd say that if Tampa Bay were smart, Huff would be damn near untouchable. He's making less then $1 mill and is putting up some pretty good numbers(I believe something like .315 35 110 with a .920 OPS this past season while making about $500,000....Maggs barely did that making $9 mill this past season). So, IMO, Nomar for Maggs is a fair trade, and we then get Williamson, who instantly helps solidify a bullpen that was not that good last year.

And winning cures everything, and this team could win. Notice I said could, and not will. Regardless, if they don't win this year, we enter Cleveland Indians mode and start a firesale. You look at who we all could trade(Nomar, Williamson, Wunsch, Marte, Lee, and Loaiza all could be dealt in a firesale if it we are not in a position to win at the trading deadline), and it is incredible what we could get.

Shouldn't we be getting happy if the Dodgers get someone good as opposed to the Os, since the Dodgers are NL (who we do not play and the cubs will play)?

I know the KW-Evans thingy and the Dodgers wanting pitchjing for PK thingy, but let it go.....dodger hatred is not where it is at

Who hates the Dodgers? I sure as hell don't.

And Brando, I do agree that Konerko could be back to those stats and Perez could put up that 4.50 ERA....but we save a ton of money. IMO, it's worth the risk. Konerko could slip to an in-betweeness of last year and 02, and put up like .270 20 80 numbers, and that isn't worth $8 mill, and Perez could be back to something similar but not quite his 02 form and could win 15 games.

It's a risk I'm willing to take.

I've been reading these posts all day today and listening to the radio. 

I think I'm one of the only people to say "Let's keep Maggs".  Nomar's average away from Fenway is around 250 and he hasn't been the same since injuring his wrist.  This sounds like another KW deal like Todd Ritchie, David Wells, Bartolo Colon, Carl Everett, Roberto Alomar.  We end up giving something way for ultimately nothing.

The only way this works for me is if we immediately trade Nomar for some  young locked up pitching. :)

I'm with you. Nomar is lousy outside of Fenway and what's more he wants to go to a West Coast team. If he's shipped to LA I don't like what I'm hearing we're going to get. We'll have to see how it shakes down but as of now I'm not real thrilled.

And winning cures everything, and this team could win. Notice I said could, and not will. Regardless, if they don't win this year, we enter Cleveland Indians mode and start a firesale. You look at who we all could trade(Nomar, Williamson, Wunsch, Marte, Lee, and Loaiza all could be dealt in a firesale if it we are not in a position to win at the trading deadline), and it is incredible what we could get.

EXACTLY. And if we ARE in first place in late July, we could use extra money (JR I am looking in your direction) to get a Hudson/Guerrero-type player from a team falling out of contention specifically for the playoffs at a PRORATED cost/prospects.

And Brando, I do agree that Konerko could be back to those stats and Perez could put up that 4.50 ERA....but we save a ton of money. IMO, it's worth the risk. Konerko could slip to an in-betweeness of last year and 02, and put up like .270 20 80 numbers, and that isn't worth $8 mill, and Perez could be back to something similar but not quite his 02 form and could win 15 games

How much is Perez getting in Arbitration? 4-5 Mill? Then they probably get a Danny Wright-type prospect from us.....Again, I'd do it because we save a few millions but I am SICK of Dodger arrogance. They talk about Mota as if he is Mariano Rivera....jerkoffs.

EXACTLY.  And if we ARE in first place in late July, we could use extra money (JR I am looking in your direction) to get a Hudson/Guerrero-type player from a team falling out of contention specifically for the playoffs at a PRORATED cost/prospects.

How much is Perez getting in Arbitration?  4-5 Mill?  Then they probably get a Danny Wright-type prospect from us.....Again, I'd do it because we save a few millions but I am SICK of Dodger arrogance. They talk about Mota as if he is Mariano Rivera....jerkoffs.

Exactly. I know you've been preaching about how trading at the deadline is the best way of dealing, because you don't pay as much. If you traded for Kevin Brown(as a hypothetical), you are paying around $5 mill, rather then $15 mill, which is much more affordable.....and most players do not make $15 mill.

However, I did not know that he made $3.4 mill this past season...I thought it was a little less. However, I could see him getting $4-$4.5 mill, and if that's the case we still save money, and it's good money. We don't save the $5 mill I initially thought, but more around $3.5-$4....that's still a decent amount of money.

However if they don't do Perez for Konerko, all I gotta say is f*** LA :fyou and trade him to Baltimore for maybe Marty Cordova and BJ Ryan...the two make will make around $4.5 mill next year, so Baltimore doesn't have to pay for his entire contract, and we get a decent OFer who may start in RF for us and a good lefty out of the pen and get rid of a slow, GIDP machine who can be a pretty good hitter. Maybe something like that could be worked out.

I just don't see Nomar staying more than one season....That's why I hate this deal.

I don't see Maggs staying more then 1 year either, and atleast we could get a compensation draft pick with Nomar, which we would not get with Maggs(because if KW hypothetically offered Maggs arbitration, I would have slapped him)