Damned Players Union

As always, baseball politics conflicted with what is best for the game, and because of it a deal that Gammons was calling the deal of the century is looking less and less likely.

What about the fans in Boston who were going to gain the games most prolific hitter, and gain an all-star right fielder? In an offseason full of Red Sox-Yankees hatred, a move that would have sent shockwaves through the bronx has been halted. What fan wouldn't like to see Alex Rodriguez and Magglio Ordonez battling Gary Scheffield and Jason Giambi in the AL East?

Of course lets not forget about ourselves. In a day that looked very promising for the White Sox Nation, baseball politics have prevented us from making enormous strides within the AL Central.

For what purpose are fans across the country, going to go to sleep disappointed? Obviously the players union always looks for the players to get the maximum amount of money, but in an era where contracts are declining, why does it matter that A-Rod's figure dips a little bit? No contract will ever compete with A-Rods anytime soon, so what is the players union trying to uphold?

Today summarized the last 10 years of baseball. When there is something to really get excited about, the politics of baseball always seem to infringe upon the fans enjoyment of the sport.

I totally agree with you. This was gonna work out eventually for at least 5 teams (us, boston, texas, seattle, and LA) that's a lot of money being thrown around and a lot of excitement for many teams. I think there's going to be some backlash, and I would bet that it happens eventually. If Selig wants to erase '94 and the All Star debacle...he HAS to Act.

f***in' take it to Bush. He'll get the supreme f***ing court to rule REAL quick...he and Tom hicks are pals, right?

f***in' take it to Bush. He'll get the supreme f***ing court to rule REAL quick...he and Tom hicks are pals, right?

I can see it now....

Pete Jennings comes on ABC and says " we have just learned that the president is set to make some sort of announcement within the next few minutes, we will take you to the president when his speech begins" we think it may be an announcement on what we will do with Saddam

with the entire world watching

"i formally over rule the MLB Players union on Alex Rodriguez"

President walks off stage

Pete Jennings comes back on

"well we didnt expect that, we will now return to your regular broadcasting"