Top Winter Prospects. From BA

LDF

some sox prospects were mention but not in detail.

Winter League Top 10 Prospects

Compiled by Josh Boyd

January 16, 2003

In this edition of Prospect Pulse, we wrap up the regular season for the four Caribbean winter leagues by taking a look at the best prospects in each league. The lists are based on discussions with scouts, managers and coaches who worked the leagues this winter, and include only players who have not exceeded the major league rookie standards of 130 at-bats and 50 innings.

Dominican League

1. Jose Reyes, ss, Gigantes (Mets)

2. Johan Santana, rhp, Estrellas (Angels)

3. Wilson Betemit, ss, Escogido (Braves)

4. Franklyn German, rhp, Escogido (Tigers)

5. Arnie Munoz, lhp, Aguilas (White Sox)

6. Rafael Soriano, rhp, Escogido (Mariners)

7. Alfredo Gonzalez, rhp, Azucareros (Dodgers)

8. Francis Beltran, rhp, Estrellas (Cubs)

9. Alexis Gomez, of, Aguilas (Royals)

10. Duaner Sanchez, rhp, Gigantes (Pirates)

The Dominican League boasted the strongest group of prospects. Upper-level prospects on the cusp of the big leagues–including infielders Jose Reyes and Wilson Betemit, and power-armed relievers Franklyn German, Francis Beltran and Duaner Sanchez–will find their winter ball experience invaluable in spring training.

While the Mets signed veteran Rey Sanchez as insurance for Reyes, their 19-year-old prodigy continued to impress in all phases of the game. In addition to exhibiting outstanding shortstop actions, tremendous body control and a plus arm, he led the league in stolen bases (17) and triples (five) and was among the league leaders in extra-base hits (18).

"He was the most impressive of the young position players," one scout said of Reyes, who hit .270. "And there were not too many impressive young position players down here." The scout said Reyes just needs to sharpen his stroke from the right side to complete his package. "His lefthanded at-bats were much better," he said. "He can drive the ball lefthanded over the left fielder’s head.

After a disappointing 2002 Triple-A campaign, Betemit came to the Dominican with something to prove, and scouts still like what they see. He has moved to third in deference to Rafael Furcal, but Betemit still shows the tools to play short. "He’s getting comfortable with the size of his body," a scout said. "He reminds me of Chipper (Jones) coming up defensively. (Betemit) is a very good offensive player from both sides. He’s more patient in the zone than a lot of young hitters."

On the mound, German showcased his usual 96 mph cheddar and devastating splitter combo, but scouts were concerned about his waistline, estimating his weight near 300 pounds. Beltran, Sanchez, Rafael Soriano, Felix Diaz and Jorge Sosa were among the young guns who regularly lit up radar guns with mid-90s readings, but none was more impressive than Angels righthander Johan Santana, who spent 2002 in the low Class A Midwest League.

"He stood out because of his age," said Estrellas manager Dave Jauss, whom the Angels entrusted with Santana’s young arm. "You don’t ever find a 19-year-old pitcher down there pitching into December who was at that low of a level."

Santana, who had four days off after each outing and finished with 20 strikeouts in 19 innings, topped out at 97 mph and pitched at 94-95 with a good slider. "He doesn’t throw it for strikes consistently yet, but he gets a lot of swings on it and he mixed in a very good changeup," Jauss said.

Azucareros righthander Alfredo Gonzalez may have opened some eyes in the Dodgers organization. After spending the year in the bullpen between three levels–Class A Vero Beach, Double-A Jacksonville and Triple-A Las Vegas–Gonzalez moved into the rotation during the winter and showed an improved slider to go with his 93 mph fastball and plus-plus changeup. "His change is like a split, and he’ll double up on it and throw it any time," an NL scout said.

On the mound, German showcased his usual 96 mph cheddar and devastating splitter combo, but scouts were concerned about his waistline, estimating his weight near 300 pounds. Beltran, Sanchez, Rafael Soriano, Felix Diaz and Jorge Sosa were among the young guns who regularly lit up radar guns with mid-90s readings, but none was more impressive than Angels righthander Johan Santana, who spent 2002 in the low Class A Midwest League.

Hey Felix the Cat getting some good words spoken about him. I can't believe we got him for Lofton!

You know what bugs me, but there's nothing I can do about it?

The Angels have a pitcher named Johan Santana, and the Twins have a pitcher named Johan Santana....when I saw the name 'Johan Santana' I got the s*** scared out of me...and then realized he was a prospect for the Angels.

Regardless....Santana for the Twins is a hell of a pitcher...they should trade one of their big name starters(except for Mays) for some good prospects and use Santana in the rotation....that's what I'd do anyways.

Guest hotsoxchick1

from the sounds of it both santanas are heck of pitchers... maybe kw can work a bit of magic and get them both here for a small price.. hell if the twins santana is that good then why let them use him up .....right ??? lol