Wilson Alvarez

DBAHO

There goes another starter,

The Dodgers signed a free agent Thursday, but not the answer to their offensive problems.

Wilson Alvarez's return to the club was made official. He signed a one-year contract with a $1.5 million base and incentives worth another $1 million based on innings and games started.

Alvarez, who revived his career with the Dodgers in 2003 after five injured years in Tampa Bay, is a likely member of the starting rotation, especially if the Dodgers wind up trading a pitcher for a hitter.

That remains a probability, even though the preferred acquisition of Nomar Garciaparra appears to be dying, if not dead. Garciaparra was rumored headed to the Dodgers for Odalis Perez if Boston had been able to acquire Alex Rodriguez from Texas for Manny Ramirez, a trade that appeared to collapse Thursday.

So, who's next for the Dodgers? Chicago White Sox slugger Magglio Ordonez?

Probably not. Although Ordonez would be an ideal solution for the cleanup spot, the king's ransom that the White Sox are demanding in return is far from ideal for the Dodgers. Chicago reportedly wants Guillermo Mota. And one of the best prospects in the organization, Edwin Jackson or Greg Miller. And Perez. And probably a few other items. With Ordonez eligible for free agency after the 2004 season, that trade doesn't make sense for the Dodgers either long- or short-term.

Without addressing Garciaparra directly, general manager Dan Evans said he's proceeding on many other tracks.

"The last 10 days we've talked to many clubs and agents about many players, so there is life without that occurring," he said. "You never take the approach where you have all your eggs in one basket. We have not been sitting back waiting for one deal."

Evans hasn't made things any easier on himself by refusing to trade either of the organization's two best prospects -- pitchers Edwin Jackson and Greg Miller -- who also are considered by many scouts as the two best pitching prospects on any club.

With a projected payroll similar to last year's $116 million, the Dodgers would be in the running for Vladimir Guerrero only if he would accept a contract not longer than five years, which is not likely. Catchers Ivan Rodriguez and Javy Lopez are not headed to Los Angeles. The pool of free agent hitters is pretty well picked over, but among those available that might interest the Dodgers is Rafael Palmeiro

They had preliminary talks with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays for Aubrey Huff, but Tampa Bay also wants at least one of the top prospects. They might wind up with another club's problem contracts, for example Houston's Richard Hidalgo.

If the Dodgers take the trade route instead of free agency to fill their offensive holes and Perez is the bait, Alvarez surely will be in the starting rotation after the way he finished the season, going 6-2 with a 2.37 ERA while the team was 9-3 in his 12 starts. Alvarez said this week that he had other offers, but preferred to return to the Dodgers once Evans assured him the team is committed to winning.

"I'm happy he felt good about coming back," said Evans, who worked with the White Sox when Alvarez was the ace of that staff. "It's a tribute to Wilson that he was able to come back from his injuries and get his career back on track."

I would have liked to have Wilson Alvarez back on our team. I always remember his no-hitter and the win over Toronto in the '93 playoffs. He was a dominant leftie in his healthy prime and I saw him eturning to a form last year that would have made him a good pick for the 5th starter in our rotation along with long relief duty. His price isn't out of the ball park either, but the LA team offered him arbitration I believe so they wanted to hang onto him.

Wilson Alvarez had all kinds of talent and could really be dominating at times. His problem was that he was lazy. In fact, the one guy that reminds me of Alvarez, as far as demeanor goes, is Bartolo Colon. And I never made that connection before this moment.

Because we are broke and completely poor.

Didn't you see Reinsdorf open his wallet on TV and show nothing in his billfold? The lumps in his pockets were a distraction, however, and upon further observation, it was wads of cash wrapped with rubber bands.

LOL :bang !!

Now we couldn't WE do something like this?

I'm pretty sure the Dodgers offered him arbitration therefore we would hav to giv up picks to get him. I'm all for havin 6 picks I think in the first 2 rounds and rebuildin the farm system with pitchin and some infield prospects with speed and mayb a catcher.

I saw Alvarez pitch against the Rockies last season -- he really looked good.

His velocity isn't there anymore (Not that he ever really had any) but his curve ball is pretty nasty. Its a big slow curve and as long as his arm doesn't fall off, its a good enough of a pitch for him to be pretty good, even if he only has an 85-86 MPH fastball.

I don't think he will duplicate last years numbers and as a matter of fact I don't think a lot of the Dodger pitchers will do what they did last year.

On a sidenote, Cali and I saw his Dodger debut against the Sox in LA. I just remember going s*** that guy looks familiar and we were like damn. :lol:

His velocity isn't there anymore (Not that he ever really had any) but his curve ball is pretty nasty.  Its a big slow curve and as long as his arm doesn't fall off, its a good enough of a pitch for him to be pretty good, even if he only has an 85-86 MPH fastball.

I don't think he will duplicate last years numbers and as a matter of fact I don't think a lot of the Dodger pitchers will do what they did last year.

On a sidenote, Cali and I saw his Dodger debut against the Sox in LA.  I just remember going s*** that guy looks familiar and we were like damn. :lol:

Willie used to have some awesome gas. Up around 97-98 with movement.

Willie used to have some awesome gas. Up around 97-98 with movement.

What???!!!

Really?

And Jason, they say Barcelo was freaky, I thought him and Rauch were gonna do big things in the pen in 2001....Their shoulders were all kids of screwed up when they showed up to ST.

What???!!!

Really? 

And Jason, they say Barcelo was freaky, I thought him and Rauch were gonna do big things in the pen in 2001....Their shoulders were all kids of screwed up when they showed up to ST.

If Barcelo panned out...wowzers is all we'd be saying. But you could say that about some other guys that flamed out.

It sucks the arm injuries, but every system goes through a rash of them at certain points in time. Lately it has been the Cubs.

By Willie I think he meant Billie, but I could be wrong. Oh wait...reread, he meant Wilson Alvarez..I never in the least bit ever thought he through that hard, but I wasn't near as knowledgable about baseball then.

Lol, not with the Sox.

I should correct myself, Barcelo when healthy was pretty damn amazing.

Definitely with the Sox. His first 3 years. Willie used to live a couple of blocks from me during the season. He threw hard. On ESPN classic they have shown his no hitter in I believe 1991, and the Sox division clincher in 1993. He used to blow guys away. Hawk would just say "Gas"