The Critic

How many players are on the books for 2005?

I think only 4 or 5, right?

Konerko, Thomas, Lee, Buerhle....anyone else?

Could JR and KW be conceding this season to try to make a push in 2005?

That's the LAST thing I want them to do - no, I take that back - the LAST thing I want them to do is what they probably WILL do - go with "The Kids" again in 2005, when they expect all these young'uns to be ready ( Borchard, Reed, etc etc etc ).

If the Sox ever decide to become a major-market team, the next offseason COULD be very interesting....

On a related note, what would you think of setting Maggs out there as a rent-a-player? trade him in July with a "wink-wink" agreement to come back in FA.

( I personally wouldn't expect ANY player to do anything with the Sox organization unless it was written, signed and notarized, but hey....the off-season is the time for crazy thoughts... )

Well, could be. And Thomas isn't necessarily on the books for 2005. It'll be nice to get some of the garbage off the payroll, and Maggs 14 mill will be off whether he is here in 2004 or not. So will Koch's 6.375, and JosE6's 5 mill. It will indeed be a time to get some decent talent in here, IF JR will allow KW to.

Well, could be. And Thomas isn't necessarily on the books for 2005. It'll be nice to get some of the garbage off the payroll, and Maggs 14 mill will be off whether he is here in 2004 or not. So will Koch's 6.375, and JosE6's 5 mill. It will indeed be a time to get some decent talent in here, IF JR will allow KW to.

Yeah, I just counted Frank on the books because I think he's unlikely to leave anymore.

Unless he has a ridiculous monster season ( and I can't see him doing more than he did last year as far as HR and RBI ), nobody's going after him.

How many players are on the books for 2005?

I think only 4 or 5, right?

Konerko, Thomas, Lee, Buerhle....anyone else?

Could JR and KW be conceding this season to try to make a push in 2005?

That's the LAST thing I want them to do - no, I take that back - the LAST thing I want them to do is what they probably WILL do - go with "The Kids" again in 2005, when they expect all these young'uns to be ready ( Borchard, Reed, etc etc etc ).

If the Sox ever decide to become a major-market team, the next offseason COULD be very interesting....

On a related note, what would you think of setting Maggs out there as a rent-a-player? trade him in July with a "wink-wink" agreement to come back in FA.

( I personally wouldn't expect ANY player to do anything with the Sox organization unless it was written, signed and notarized, but hey....the off-season is the time for crazy thoughts... )

I dont trust KW to do that at all. He needs to lock up Maggs now. The fans love him and he'll stay of we pay him what he's worth. He's been carrying this team on his back for 3 seasons straight now I think its time we rewarded him for that.

Sorry I had the same idea...but here are the contracts for '05

Wunsch-800,000

Ordonez-FA

Lee-8.0 mil

Buehrle-5.5 mil

Garland-FA

Koch-FA

Loaiza-FA

Alomar-1.0 mil

Konerko-8.75 mil

Thomas-Dual option $8.0M player/$11.0M team

Valentin-FA

So the projected lineup may as well be

Buehrle

Garland

Cotts

Diaz

Pacheo

Marte, Wright, Rauch, Adkins, Ginter, Majewski, Munoz

1b-Konerko

2b-Harris

ss-Uribe

3b-Crede

LF-Lee

CF-Reed

RF-Borchard

DH-Thomas

C-Olivo, Alomar/Burke

Man, we are gonna be a young beastly unit in '05....

I dont trust KW to do that at all.  He needs to lock up Maggs now.  The fans love him and he'll stay of we pay him what he's worth.  He's been carrying this team on his back for 3 seasons straight now I think its time we rewarded him for that.

Maggs turned down 4 years for 48 million. He thinks he can get at least 5 years at $15 mil. There is no way we are going to resign him.

If I were Kenny, (and thank God I'm not), my 2005 plan would be to walk into Jerry Reinsdorf's office, and resign.

And my exact response would be, "I'm sorry Jerry, but I'm tired of being the fall guy for this franchise. You have done nothing to help me, and you have never actually stood up for me ever in 4 years. However, you have strapped me, and restricted me unrealistically with your bulls*** payroll limits. Thank you for the opportunity to work for this organization, but I have to leave within my own good faith. I don't want to be your spokesperson any longer, and I don't want to have to spout bulls*** to the media and fans. That's YOUR job now, sir. If you weren't such a greedy miserly person, we could have turned this team upside down and really made this a special place. However, you choose not to, which is your fault, not mine. Have a nice life, Mr. Reinsdorf. I cannot work under these false pretenses any longer. "

And after that conversation, I would contact every media outlet in the U.S. and discuss all of Jerry Reinsdorf's business practices involving the White Sox and the payroll, and I would spill every negative and condemning thing I knew to anyone who would listen. Before the day was over, Reinsdorf would be walking in front of 100 TV cameras with his overcoat covering his face, and he would be saying, "No comment, talk to my attorneys" until his lips got dry. And then the truth would come out, and hopefully that would involve Reinsdorf going to prison for a while. The thought of a one-eyed tattooed thug named Turk screwing Reinsdorf the way he screwed all of us is so damn awesome.

If I were Kenny, (and thank God I'm not), my 2005 plan would be to walk into Jerry Reinsdorf's office, and resign.

And my exact response would be, "I'm sorry Jerry, but I'm tired of being the fall guy for this franchise.  You have done nothing to help me, and you have never actually stood up for me ever in  4 years.  However, you have strapped me, and restricted me unrealistically with your bulls*** payroll limits.  Thank you for the opportunity to work for this organization, but I have to leave within my own good faith. I don't want to be your spokesperson any longer, and I don't want to have to spout bulls*** to the media and fans.  That's YOUR job now, sir.  If you weren't such a greedy miserly person, we could have turned this team upside down and really made this a special place.  However, you choose not to, which is your fault, not mine.  Have a nice life, Mr. Reinsdorf.  I cannot work under these false pretenses any longer. "

And after that conversation, I would contact every media outlet in the U.S. and discuss all of Jerry Reinsdorf's business practices involving the White Sox and the payroll, and I would spill every negative and condemning thing I knew to anyone who would listen.  Before the day was over, Reinsdorf would be walking in front of 100 TV cameras with his overcoat covering his face, and he would be saying, "No comment, talk to my attorneys" until his lips got dry. And then the truth would come out, and hopefully that would involve Reinsdorf going to prison for a while.  The thought of a one-eyed tattooed thug named Turk screwing Reinsdorf the way he screwed all of us is so damn awesome.

I'm sure you'd also get a glowing recommendation from your former employer when you applied for your next job. :lol: