Espn report - jayson stark

LDF

there seems to be some confusion on my part and a statement that kw said. according to kw, if i remember correctly, was after mont and colon since the winter meeting. however according to stark that never happen b/c he was after another pitcher. so was kw lying?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stark_jayso...on/1494267.html

ncorbl told me his buddy in the sox office told him that the guy KW really wanted was russ ortiz...when that fell through he then turned his sites elsewhere...so it wouldnt surprise at all if KW was lying...it sure wouldnt be the first time

Actually KW said he was after Colon since the end of last season NOT since the Winter Meetings.

Because he had already spoken to Minaya - prior to the Winter Meetings he didn't need to talk to him at the meetings (though Minaya said they did speak in the hallway a few times). KW had already told him that if he gets a decent offer for Colon, please make sure KW has a chance to beat it - and this is not being said in retrospect - this is all stuff that came out during the meetings.

Colon was the number one guy he wanted.

Now during the meetings, KW found out Russ Ortiz was available. That's when he switched his attention - and truthfully - he should have. Ortiz was the second best pitcher out there and he might be able to get him cheaper than Colon (remember at this time the Colon price was deemed pretty damn high).

Unfortunately, the Braves came in at the last minute and gave them a good young cheap starting pitcher (Damian Moss and a good prospect). That was too expensive (like us giving up Garland and whoever). I'm glad he didn't try to beat that offer frankly.

He ended up getting Colon for LESS than what the Braves got Ortiz for.

Pretty damn smooth if you ask me.