Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

That is awesome Greasy. Too bad Miller ins't still on the Bulls. Did he have a son on the team, or did just go to see his old school?

On a similar note, I know Ron Kittles son. He is actually very small and skinny, I guess he hasn't hit his growth spurt yet. A good ball player, especially considering his size.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that is really weird. Our priest is really cool and I think he is on the team. He is actually a huge Sox fan as well.  :lol: I can probably just get directions from him. I will PM you later to let you know if I'm going.

BTW- What time is the game? Because he does a 7:00 mass on Thursdays.

Well you ended up missing the best game of the year, by far. It was an extra inning affair, that had St T's score 3 runs in the 7th to tie it, leaving the go ahead run at 3rd. We scored two in the 8th, and St T's had scored one. They managed to get runners at the corners with two outs, then the hitter popped one just up above the head of the catcher, who stuck his mitt up, knocked the ball down, and pinned it up against his chest for a Liberty Bible winner. It was pretty exciting.

Just in case anyone was on Southsider watch, the Shortstop extrodiaire is hitting .681 on the season with an OPS of about 1.600 out of the lead off hole. I am still waiting for the call to replace Jose.

Well you ended up missing the best game of the year, by far.  It was an extra inning affair, that had St T's score 3 runs in the 7th to tie it, leaving the go ahead run at 3rd.  We scored two in the 8th, and St T's had scored one.  They managed to get runners at the corners with two outs, then the hitter popped one just up above the head of the catcher, who stuck his mitt up, knocked the ball down, and pinned it up against his chest for a Liberty Bible winner.  It was pretty exciting. 

Just in case anyone was on Southsider watch, the Shortstop extrodiaire is hitting .681 on the season with an OPS of about 1.600 out of the lead off hole.  I am still waiting for the call to replace Jose.

Oh wow it sounds like I missed a good one. I didn't have a ride or I would've been there, I didn't forget about it. Now all I have to do is wait until I can drive, just 3 more months, just 3 more months...

• 2 weeks later...
I guess Sportscenter just debuted as HDTV for the first time tonight, and they celebrated by unveiling this s***ty new set.  Wow, it's hard to watch...... :headshake

Yeah, I almost had to shield my eyes when I first saw it.

On another note, I had my first game for one of my summer leagues tonight. It's a 16-19 year old league and I'm only 15 right now. I turn 16 in a little over a month. I did okay considering I saw 80 MPH fastballs compared to about 60 MPH which was about average for freshman ball, and the game ended in an 8-8 tie due to darkness. It was a back and forth game all night and two costly errors by our team caused the tie.

Scott Elarton: 0-6; 9.71 ERA; BAA: 3.16

I remember when he was supposed to be the second coming down in Houston. Now he makes Brian Anderson look like Sandy Koufax. If Elarton didn't throw as hard as he does he would not get this many chances.

• 4 weeks later...

Two former pale hose go head to head, and Miggy homers off of Foulke in the ninth. :headbang :headbang :headbang

They're still losing though.

Edit: Edgar hits one after him to make it back-to-back and tie it.

Robin Ventura pitched the 9th for the Dodgers, because they ran out of pitchers in the game against Anaheim.  Ventura pitched the full inning, and only faced 4 batters to get the job done.

Todd Zeile pitched tonight for the Mets. He didn't fare as well as Robin though.

I really like Mike Patrick as a broadcaster; he's great for football and basketball on the network. However, it's great that Summerall is in the booth for the time being; it'd be cool if he can stick around after Patrick comes back.

'Voice of NFL' will temp for Mike Patrick

The long-time "voice of the NFL" is moving to ESPN, at least temporarily.

The network announced Monday that it has tagged play-by-play man Pat Summerall to join analysts Joe Theisman and Paul Maguire and sideline reporter Suzy Kolber for four preseason telecasts, beginning with Atlanta at Baltimore on Aug. 12 at 8 p.m. ET.

Summerall, who underwent liver transplant surgery in April, will be sitting in for ESPN Sunday night regular Mike Patrick, who is scheduled for heart bypass surgery this week. Patrick is expected to take over his play-by-play duties for ESPN's first regular-season Sunday night broadcast on Sept. 12.

"Our first priority is seeing that Mike has a full and smooth recovery," ESPN executive vice president Mark Shapiro said. "In the meantime, who better to come off the bench than a legendary voice like Pat Summerall."

Summerall could not be reached for comment following ESPN's announcement, but said last week that he was feeling no ill effects from his transplant surgery.

"I feel better than I have in the last five years," Summerall told the Dallas Morning News. "People tell me my voice again sounds as strong as it did a decade ago."

A broadcaster for 40 years, Summerall was the lead play-by-play man for CBS and Fox for 27. The 74-year-old was ejected from the starting team at Fox in 2001 and retired after the '02 campaign, calling Cowboys games in the interim.

He teamed with John Madden to call Fox's lead game from 1994-01, and they were the No. 1 team on CBS for 13 seasons before that. Summerall worked a record 16 Super Bowls during his network career, though he was an analyst for the first five.

ESPN spokesman Rob Tobias told the Morning News that the network will decide after Summerall's temp assignment whether they will continue to work with him.

• 4 weeks later...

Vikes released Brock Lesnar.

Finland beat the Czech Republic in the first game of the World Cup of Hockey 4-0(mmmmmiiiiiiikkkkkkaaaa).

Tomorrow night at 7pm est it's USA vs Canada.

22-0 Indians over New York top 9.

Loaiza 2.2 IP 8 H 6 ER (2 3-run homers).

Edit: it's a final, 22-0.

Largest previous shutout loss for the Yanks was 15-0 to the White Sox, in 1907 and 1950.

IU selected their new AD on Wednesday....

http://www.indystar.com/articles/4/175373-5854-204.html

IU drafts Army's athletic director

Rick Greenspan has extensive experience in athletic fundraising and facility development.

By Terry Hutchens

[email protected]

September 2, 2004

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Army athletic director Rick Greenspan will be named the next athletic director at Indiana University today, two university sources confirmed Wednesday.

Greenspan, in his sixth year as the Army AD, was in Bloomington on Wednesday night and dined with IU president Adam Herbert at the president's on-campus residence, sources said. Greenspan could not be reached for comment. A receptionist in his office said Wednesday morning he was gone for the day.

Ken Beckley, IU's Alumni Association president and chairman of the athletic director search committee, said he expects an announcement within 48 hours.

"I haven't spoken to the president today, but when I spoke with him Tuesday he indicated that he was very close to making a decision," Beckley said. "I do anticipate that there will be an announcement before the end of the day on Friday."

Sources also said Greenspan was on campus for his initial interview two weeks ago and was one of five finalists.

Greenspan is viewed as an administrator with extensive experience in athletic fundraising and facility development, two areas that would suit him well for the IU job. IU's athletic department has operated in the red by more than $1 million for the past three years.

According to information contained in Greenspan's bio on the Army athletic department's Web site, he has increased athletic fund raising at the military academy by reorganizing the solicitation process and schedule, and introduced a prioritized seating area for Michie Stadium, the university's football stadium. During his stint at Army, the university's athletic fund-raising efforts have nearly doubled.

Much like the situation he would inherit at Indiana, Greenspan has directed a struggling football program at Army. The Black Knights finished 0-13 last season and have lost 24 of their past 25 games.

Greenspan brought in longtime coach Bobby Ross (Maryland and Georgia Tech in college, San Diego and Detroit in the NFL) to be Army's new football coach prior to this season.

Before taking the job at Army, Greenspan spent seven years as the athletic director at Illinois State. Prior to that, he spent one year as senior associate athletic director at Miami (Fla.). He also spent eight years on the staff at California-Berkeley, three years at Wisconsin-Milwaukee and one year at New Hampshire.

Greenspan would become IU's 18th athletic director and the third since Clarence Doninger retired in June 2000.

Michael McNeely held the position for 16 months before resigning in November 2002. Terry Clapacs has held the position the past 21 months.

In May, Herbert announced that Clapacs would return to his primary role as vice president for administration. For the 21-month period, Clapacs served in that capacity and as athletic director.