Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Courtesty of IUHoosiers.com:

Steijn Joins 2004-05 Hoosiers

Bloomington, Ind. – Lucas Steijn, a 6-10, 230-pound center from Muiderberg, Netherlands, has enrolled at Indiana University and will be eligible to compete for the Hoosiers in 2004-05, IU coach Mike Davis announced today. Steijn will have four years of eligibility remaining.

“(Associate Head) Coach (Kerry) Rupp deserves a lot of the credit for bringing Lucas to Indiana,” Davis said. “We had a scholarship available and to get a player with Lucas’ talent and potential is just great news for our program.”

Davis believes that Steijn could be a dominant low post presence for the Hoosiers.

“He is a legitimate shot blocker,” Davis said. “He has solid fundamentals and works hard, which is what you want. We are anxious to start working with him.”

Steijn, who turned 18 years old in August, arrives in Bloomington after helping Notre Dame Academy in Middleburg, Va., to the 2004 Virginia Division II state title. Steijn averaged 12 points and eight rebounds per game on a team that posted a 19-8 record and included three other NCAA Division I signees - Alan Metcalfe (Vanderbilt), Jason Killeen (Winthrop) and Joe Posey (James Madison).

Steijn spent this past summer playing with the AAU D.C. Blue Devils, and he is excited to begin his collegiate career with the Hoosiers.

“This is a great opportunity. The campus is beautiful, and I have heard a lot about the tradition of Indiana basketball,” Steijn said. “I went to a camp in Brussels, Belgium a few years ago, and one of the coaches there had some contacts on the Utah staff. That is how I got to know Coach Rupp (who spent four years as an assistant and interim head coach for the Utes). He called me and said that they had an opening immediately and that they wanted me to come.”

Rupp feels that Steijn is an ideal fit for the Hoosiers.

“One of the things that stands out most about Lucas is how well he understands the game,” Rupp said. “Combine that with his work ethic and attitude, and he is a nice addition for us.”

Steijn brings some impressive credentials with him. He spent three years playing for the Dutch National Team, where he averaged 16 points and 10 rebounds per game. Steijn also played one season with the Demon Astronauts in Amsterdam , where he averaged 16 points and 10 rebounds per game, two years for the B.C. Shooters in Bunschoten, Netherlands and three years for the B.C. Quick Runners in Huitzen, Netherlands.

Wow.

Haha, my friend and I were wandering Assembly Hall today. We walk by the Men's Basketball Office, and out walks Dane Fife, from the 2002 Final Four team. That was so awesome; he greeted us and we got to talk to him for a couple minutes about the basketball team and stuff. That definitely made my day!

IU! :headbang

Recruiting hope springs well into summer

By Gregg Doyel

SportsLine.com Senior Writer

Michigan State, Indiana and Virginia Tech were the big winners of this summer's annual basketball bazaar.

The Spartans, Hoosiers and Hokies dipped into the increasingly accessible international talent pool, adding size at a time of year when most news about roster turnover is bad.

This is a bazaar that promises to get more bizarre each year. Last season, Arizona stunned the rest of the country in December by adding Serbian power forward Ivan Radenovic, who earned an honorable mention spot on the Pac-10 All-Freshman team. One year later Marquette and DePaul are dueling for another midseason addition, Israeli point guard Niv Berkowitz.

Until Berkowitz makes his choice, Indiana is the latest international winner with its September coup of Lucas Steijn, a 6-foot-10 center from the Netherlands. Steijn, a three-year Dutch national team member, spent the past school year at Notre Dame Academy in Middleburg, Va. He was prepared to return there, too, until Indiana offered a scholarship.

In doing so, Indiana caught the rest of the country asleep at the switch, says recruiting analyst Bob Gibbons.

"Notre Dame (Academy) had him classified last year as a junior, and I had him as a rising senior this year," Gibbons said. "What shocked me, and where Mike Davis did his homework, is that the kid had enough credits accumulated from the Netherlands to be (NCAA) eligible this season. Most other colleges were looking at recruiting him in the class of '05. We all thought he was a senior this year."

Steijn will fill the scholarship originally earmarked for Josh Smith, who entered the NBA Draft, and then 7-1 Robert Rothbart of Sacramento, who decided last month to turn pro in Europe. Steijn's time at Indiana got off to a bad start when he was cited last week for underage drinking, but he will bolster the Hoosiers' inexperienced rotation of big men.

"He'll help," Gibbons said. "He's big and he's physical, which is what they look for in Big Ten big guys. In my opinion, Indiana is better off with Steijn (than Rothbart). Without question, for what they really need -- a physical inside presence -- they're better off."

Who knew the Netherlands was such a hoops hotbed? Indiana wasn't the only program from an elite U.S. basketball conference to have its S.O.S. answered by the Dutch.

Virginia Tech coach Seth Greenberg also needed size after his only center, junior Philip McCandies, transferred to College of Charleston. Greenberg's international manhunt ended with the July signing of Steijn's Dutch national teammate, Robert Krabbendam.

Krabbendam has no U.S. reputation but is highly regarded in Europe, where he was one of 48 players invited to the Adidas Superstar camp in Berlin in July.

"We expect him to contribute right away," said Greenberg, noting that Krabbendam is "a legitimate 6-11½ with terrific skills and a feel for the game."

Michigan State coach Tom Izzo also went international to get bigger, signing Nigerian center Idong Ibok in May. Ibok is raw but enormous at 6-10, 260 pounds, and he's even bigger than that: He has the wingspan typical of a player standing 7-5.

Izzo says Ibok has "exceptional athleticism ... with good footwork," the kind of player not normally available so late in his senior year of high school.

But that's why the international recruiting scene has become something of a waiver wire for college basketball. No longer can a coach shrug his shoulders at the end of the spring signing period and say, "We are who we are."

In recent months, prominent U.S. college basketball programs have signed players from the Netherlands, Nigeria, Morocco, Cameroon, Suriname, Australia and St. Lucia. In most cases the foreign players were already in the United States, having moved here for the 2003-04 high school year.

For two reasons, such a late entrance into American basketball society can lead to a player's availability in May, June or beyond. One, it often takes a year for an international player to develop a reputation. Two, it almost always takes a year for an international player to meet the NCAA's academic requirements.

Factor in the late-April abolishment of the five-eight scholarship rule, which freed up scores of scholarships nationally, and the climate was right for an international influx.

But buyer beware. Last season three international players abandoned NCAA Tournament-bound teams: Danish guard Christian Drejer left Florida for Spain; Latvian forward Maris Laksa left Providence for Slovenia; and French center Nouha Diakite left Louisville for France. Only Drejer started, but in-season roster turnover is unsettling.

International underclassmen also have more professional options than Americans, which is why German forward Jan Jagla left Penn State after last season, and Slovenian Erazem Lorbek left Michigan State the year before. Neither was a projected NBA Draft pick, but because of their international visas both had lucrative offers in Europe.

Most coaches will tell you the risk is worth it, which is why international signings continue after such defections. Georgia Tech reached the NCAA title game last season with Australian center Luke Schenscher, an August 2001 signee. Gonzaga reached the Top 10 with Martinique forward Ronny Turiaf, another summer 2001 signee. Both will be seniors this season.

In search of the next Schenscher or Turiaf, a program will risk getting the next Laksa or Drejer. That's what's so daring -- and so dangerous -- about a summer fling.

Oh-ver-rated.

You said it. :ph34r:

I found this little blip from ESPN; I have to post it now just in case my sig goes down the hole after today....:

Football State?

With apologies to the home turf of John Wooden, Larry Bird and Oscar Robertson, it should be noted that the state of Indiana is on a roll, too. Indiana (23), arguably the most apathetic football school in a BCS league, is somehow 2-0 after smacking Oregon in Eugene. Purdue (24), has outscored two opponents 110-7. Even that modest little fixer-upper program in the northwest corner of the state, Notre Dame (25), has something to brag about after beating No. 7 Michigan. This is some solace for a state that suffered the ultimate indignity last March -- just one bid to the NCAA Tournament, from Valparaiso.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.indystar.com/articles/9/185580-1089-094.html

Shooter chooses Indiana

Shaw has ability to make jumpers from long range and can play shooting guard, small forward positions. 

By Pat McKee

October 11, 2004

A recruiting trip to see one player has turned into an oral commitment from another for the Indiana University men's basketball team.

Joey Shaw, a 6-6, 173-pound shooting guard from Deer Valley High School in Glendale, Ariz., became the first player in the Class of 2005 to commit to coach Mike Davis' Hoosiers after visiting the Bloomington campus over the weekend.

Rated as the No. 31 shooting guard and the nation's No. 112 overall player by rivals.com, Shaw informed Davis of his decision in a phone call Sunday night. He picked IU after previous official visits to Texas, Arizona State, Oregon State and Nevada.

"I really liked the coaches, the players and the whole situation," Shaw said Monday from his home. "Everyone was easy to talk to and if I'm going somewhere for four years, I want to go somewhere where I'm comfortable. I felt comfortable."

Shaw, 17, who averaged 19.8 points and 4.8 assists as a junior at Chandler High School in Chandler, Ariz., was spotted by the Hoosiers about three weeks ago during an open gym when IU assistant coach Kerry Hupp went to watch junior Christian Polk. A lanky player who may still be growing, Shaw is said to have sound fundamentals and has shown the ability to play the shooting guard and small forward positions.

"They said I have a chance to play a lot as a freshman if I come in over the summer and develop my strength and quickness," Shaw said.

Over the summer, Shaw played for the Arizona Magic traveling team with Polk and a third Deer Valley player, 6-8 senior Lawrence Hill, who has committed to Stanford. Magic coach Earl Flaggs said Indiana is getting a player with tremendous potential.

"Joey is a two-guard with a great outside shot," Flaggs said. "With that frame and his ability to shoot the ball from deep, we feel the upside for him is phenomenal."

Shaw said his final decision was between Indiana and Texas.

"I took all my visits, and I felt I knew what to look for in a school," he said. "In the end, I felt this will be a good experience, although I will have to get used to the cold."

Good find........ us out-of-staters seem to get the updates slowly. I just stumbled upon this thread tonight and caught that article. I try and go to the Indy Star web site about once every week or two. Haven't been lately.

I don't get caught up too much in player rankings. Many players that have had success at IU weren't highly regarded. Other, higher ranked players, have flopped. The fact Texas was recruiting this kid as well tells me he can play. We'll see over the next few years to what level.

Now I hope I remember to come back and check this thread from time to time.

yeah your right about the rankings to an extent.

KU is recruiting this kid who is unranked and torn up the recruiting world. His name is Marynas Pocious and he is called the Lithuanian Larry Bird, whatever the f*** that means..

At this point he is down to Duke and the Jayhawks, and he will be attending Late Night in the Phog this friday, and that always helps us.

THe freak-a-leek part of this kid, he only has 9 fingers.

I guess when you have the top 2 recruiting classes for 2005, these schools can take a risk.