Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/187563-9860-204.html

Arlington guard gives oral commitment to IU

Vaughn, who might head to prep school for year, knows many of his future teammates.

By Terry Hutchens

October 19, 2004

Indiana University basketball coach Mike Davis continues to recruit well in the state of Indiana.

A year ago, Davis received commitments from North Central's A.J. Ratliff, former Pike standout Robert Vaden and Fort Wayne Elmhurst's James Hardy. Monday, Arlington senior Deonta Vaughn orally committed to the Hoosiers.

Vaughn, a 5-11, 175-pound guard, averaged 18 points last season and led the team with four steals per game.

To be determined is when Vaughn will join the Hoosiers. Though he would be eligible to be part of the freshman class of 2005, Vaughn might spend a year at prep school.

If Vaughn goes to prep school, Davis would have one spot left in the 2005 recruiting class, which would likely be used on a post player.

Last week, the Hoosiers picked up a commitment from 6-6 shooting guard Joey Shaw from Deer Valley High School in Glendale, Ariz.

Vaughn, one of seven IU recruits who attended Midnight Madness last weekend at Assembly Hall, was also recruited by Illinois, Purdue and Ohio State. Purdue was the only one of those three to make an offer.

"I've been lucky enough to play for a great coach in high school, and now I feel very comfortable going to play for another great coach that will take care of me," Vaughn said. "They want me to come in and be a point guard and that's what I've been focusing on the last few months. I feel like I can fit in at either the one (point guard) or the two (shooting guard)."

Larry Nicks, Vaughn's coach at Arlington, said it's rare for a 5-11 guard to attract interest from so many Big Ten schools.

"He's a gamer, he's very athletic and he can create in an offense," Nicks said.

Vaughn shot 52 percent from the field and 45 percent from 3-point range a year ago. He said one reason he liked IU was its emphasis on in-state players.

"I feel like with so many other guys there that I know that it will just make my transition to college that much easier," Vaughn said. "I know those guys and it will be my job to get them the ball and make them better."

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indiana University basketball coach Mike Davis continues to recruit well in the state of Indiana.

I find it funny that they lead with this line, yet Davis missed out on the two biggest prizes in Indiana in Josh McRoberts and the Zeller kid from Washington. Also, no word on the possibility of getting the Odon kid who is possibly considered the best junior in the country this year.

Looks like he can get the guards, but not the big men.

I find it funny that they lead with this line, yet Davis missed out on the two biggest prizes in Indiana in Josh McRoberts and the Zeller kid from Washington.  Also, no word on the possibility of getting the Odon kid who is possibly considered the best junior in the country this year.

Looks like he can get the guards, but not the big men.

We'll see...Oden has said that IF he does go to college, which he won't...right now Indiana would be his first choice.

One for the Aussies DB....

http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/188316-6755-204.html

Australian big man commits to Indiana

6-10 post player adds size to Hoosiers' 2005 recruiting class.

By Terry Hutchens

October 22, 2004

When Indiana basketball coach Mike Davis received oral commitments from guards Joey Shaw and Deonta Vaughn in the past 10 days, many Hoosiers fans were left wondering if the team was going to address a deficiency on the front line.

That question was answered Thursday when IU received a commitment from Ben Allen, a 6-10, 215-pound post player from Melbourne, Australia, for the 2005 recruiting class.

Allen chose the Hoosiers after receiving offers from Utah, New Mexico and Gonzaga. He visited all four schools in September.

Allen, 17, plays for the prestigious Australian Institute for Sports and was a member of the 2004 Australian under-21 national team and 18-and-under national team. He averaged 15.2 points and 4.8 rebounds at the World Championships for Juniors.

Because of a 16-hour time difference, Allen was unavailable for comment Thursday.

Davis is prohibited by NCAA rules from commenting on incoming recruits until they sign during the November signing period.

IU has two openings in the Class of 2005. It's expected that Allen and the 6-6 Shaw will occupy those two spots, and that Vaughn, a 5-11 guard from Arlington, will attend prep school.

When Allen plays for the Hoosiers in 2005, he will be part of a front line that will include D.J. White, Patrick Ewing Jr., Sean Kline, Lucas Steijn and Marco Killingsworth, a senior transfer from Auburn.

Hell yea. Marco Killingsworth I heard is a stud. And with him, Bracey, and Marshall on the same team, that will be awesome.

I'm not so sure the Hoosiers won't be better off after Bracey leaves. If he has any decent kind of year this year, he will bolt to the NBA and it can't be soon enough, if you ask me..

In the past 2 years....

The Bucs fired Tony Dungy...Jon Gruden wins the Super Bowl

The Pistons fired Rick Carlisle....Larry Brown wins the NBA Finals

The Red Sox fired Grady Little.....Francona.........

we fired manuel and jauron.

i guess that argument does not work in chicago.

NIU will be trying to beat Toledo for the first time since Joe Novak became coach on Tuesday, November 9th. A lot of people dont understand how important this game is to NIU fans. Being a sox fan in a cub city, I know what its like for a team not to get a lot of attention, but this is the game of the year for us.

From the NIU newspaper:

http://www.star.niu.edu/articles/?id=1467