Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

Just like any other young kid who rapidly becomes famous...

I get the feeling that Phelps probably never touched a drop of alcohol pre-olympics. As soon as his events were over (with a week of the Olympics left) he partied it up in a foreign country... He pretty much said this in interviews after his events were done.

I'm not trying to make excuses, just relating.

I was a highly competitive swimmer when I was younger, and as soon as I lost that motivating factor to take the "straight-and-narrow", I went a little crazy... I'm not the only one, a number of friends who were equally involved had the same trouble.

It takes an immense amount of time to be an elite swimmer. As a rule swimmers are some of the most disciplined people on earth. But when that outlet is gone, if they are unable to replace that time with anything constructive, they have problems.

It's alot like child stars.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like any other young kid who rapidly becomes famous...

I get the feeling that Phelps probably never touched a drop of alcohol pre-olympics.  As soon as his events were over (with a week of the Olympics left) he partied it up in a foreign country... He pretty much said this in interviews after his events were done.

I'm not trying to make excuses, just relating.

I was a highly competitive swimmer when I was younger, and as soon as I lost that motivating factor to take the "straight-and-narrow", I went a little crazy... I'm not the only one, a number of friends who were equally involved had the same trouble.

It takes an immense amount of time to be an elite swimmer.  As a rule swimmers are some of the most disciplined people on earth.  But when that outlet is gone, if they are unable to replace that time with anything constructive, they have problems.

It's alot like child stars.

I could see that to be true. No way any athlete would touch any alcohol before the olympics unless they really are dumb as hell. If he is partying it up in other counrties, cool; drinking with his buddies, cool; just don't get in the car. That's where he make a mistake.

• 2 weeks later...
86-83 Orlando. 

Huge props to Indiana though....to hang with one of the best teams in the East early on this year, with only SIX guys..That's some heart.

If there's one benefit for these suspensions, it'll be the chance for Fred Jones and David Harrison to get regular consistent playing time.

Bobcats almost blew it, were winning by a lot more heading into the 4th. I don't know what to think of Boston right now, they've got the pieces to be better, but guys like Mark Blount aren't really performing to what they're capable of.

Bobcats almost blew it, were winning by a lot more heading into the 4th. I don't know what to think of Boston right now, they've got the pieces to be better, but guys like Mark Blount aren't really performing to what they're capable of.

That's the big contract, I think.

The team needs time to jell, everyone has to get used to Payton's habits. They could really be at least 5-4 or 6-3, not to sound lame but they've blown a lot of fourth quarter leads.

Also, Walter McCarty should never be allowed on an NBA court. He is godawful. I really like what I've seen of the young guys, Jefferson is a beast. Perkins is coming along, Allen is a solid slasher/defender. Banks isn't making the stupid turnovers, I suspect having Gary around has helped his development.

I think by late December/Early January they should be hitting their stride.