Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those twins prospects are made of glass or something..

Mauer f***s up his knee.

Kubel, ditto.

Restovich -- Collarbone.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/509/5112767.html

Twins outfielder Michael Restovich suffered a broken right collarbone over the weekend after slipping and falling on ice while visiting relatives in St. Louis. Restovich, a Rochester native who spent most of the season at Class AAA Rochester, is expected to need four to six weeks to recover. He's expected to be healthy in time for spring training.

Laughing. My. f***ing. Ass. Off.

On the Hot Seat on SportsCenter they had Amare.

The guy asks, "Who is the best 6 foot 10 inch athlete in Arizona?"

"Amare Stoudemire."

"What about Randy Johsnon?"

"He's pretty good too...gotta strong right arm."

"Amare...he's left handed."

"Oh."

:lolhitting Nice job, Amare.

Laughing.  My.  f***ing.  Ass.  Off.

On the Hot Seat on SportsCenter they had Amare.

The guy asks, "Who is the best 6 foot 10 inch athlete in Arizona?"

"Amare Stoudemire."

"What about Randy Johsnon?"

"He's pretty good too...gotta strong right arm."

"Amare...he's left handed."

"Oh."

:lolhitting  Nice job, Amare.

:lolhitting :lolhitting :lolhitting

Dunno if anyone's watching Packers-Eagles, but GB is getting the piss beat out of them.  And Brett Favre looks like Jonathan Quinn.  35-0 close to half, the game's become an utter joke.

The packers closed in and made in 35-3 before half. ;)

2 gm back.

Not worried baout division, worrying about wild card, but its always good to c the vikings and packers lose.

we're 5-7

just be thankful it's still possible to be worried about anything about the bears :headbang

we're 5-7

just be thankful it's still possible to be worried about anything about the bears :headbang

Yeah, there are my last prayer since the bulls suck again and there is no hockey until the greatest time of they year-baseball season. Oh, I miss it already. I always take it for granted during the season.

Favre breaks his streak of consecutive games with a TD

Yes he did. And I have to give him kudos for making that choice. He put the goals of the team above personal records. As much as he is hated by Bear fans, you have to give the guy his due. He's a champion and one the greatest QB's ever.

I wish I could go to this. Lawrence North (Greg Oden's school) and Snider are squaring off at the Coliseum on Saturday night. This article below talking about high school b-ball at the Coliseum mentions South Side a few times; that's my former high school.. :headbang

Here's another article about the game No. 1 Wildcats come calling for Panthers

Just like the old days

Coliseum again plays host to faceoff of powerhouses

By Greg Jones

High school sports editor

The highly anticipated basketball game Saturday between Class 4A No. 1 Lawrence North and No. 9 Snider isn’t the first colossal high school game to be played at Memorial Coliseum. It might not even turn out to be the best.

But it is a long time coming.

The Coliseum hasn’t played host to a game of this magnitude since the IHSAA stopped having postseason games there in 1997. And it might be the first regular-season game to draw the expected crowd of more than 4,000 in almost two decades.

“High school basketball at the Coliseum ismeaningful to a lot of fans around the city,” former Concordia and North Side coach By Hey said.

The last such game was in 1985, when No. 1 Marion beat No. 2 Northrop 64-63. Marion had a couple of sophomores, in Lyndon Jones and Jay Edwards, who would lead the Giants to three straight state championships and would be co-Mr. Basketball in 1987.

Snider boys basketball coach Ray Sims was an assistant coach at Marion from 1977 to 1988 and was at the Coliseum for the Marion-Northrop matchup.

“I remember that game,” Sims said. “Tony Jones played for Northrop, and they were coached by A.C. Eldridge. He was my mentor before I got my first head coaching job. We communicated a lot, and I still call him. I look up to him.”

Eldridge, who teaches at Miami Middle School, also remembers the game.

“There was a lot of excitement because the game was sold out,” Eldridge said of the game that drew 8,940 fans. “And it hadn’t happened with two high school basketball teams in a long time. There was a great deal of apprehension for our players, but we felt we were a good match for them.

“It was like a tournament atmosphere. A lot of people got to see the game. The only thing that went wrong was we got beat by one point.”

The game was expected to draw more fans than Northrop’s gym could hold, Eldridge said, and instead of moving it to Marion’s 7,500-seat gym, it was brought to the Coliseum. A rematch was played two years later, but drew only 6,000 fans and is believed to be the last regular season non-tournament high school basketball game at the Coliseum before Saturday.

“We had an opportunity to move other games to the Coliseum, but it didn’t happen,” Eldridge said. “But some teams didn’t want to give up home-court advantage. I can understand that, but in our case, if we were going to play deep into the tournament, it was helping us to create another home-court advantage at the Coliseum.

“I am pretty sure (the ’87 game) was the last regular season game there. It costs a lot to rent the Coliseum.”

Memorial Coliseum general manager Randy Brown said the cost will be the standard rent of $2,500 for the Lawrence North-Snider game. With the curtains drawn, Brown said the gym will seat about 9,000 fans.

“We work hard to encourage high school basketball here,” Brown said. “We are a community facility. We have had ACAC and SAC tournament games here recently, but none have drawn what this game might. This is the biggest (high school) game in a while.”

The 52-year-old Fort Wayne facility has a long history of high school basketball, dating back to the city series doubleheaders between North Side and Central. Hey, who won 550 games at Concordia and North Side, said the crowds were “prolific” after the Coliseum opened in 1952. North Side and Central would play two games annually at the place.

“Putting a floor down over the ice was a problem at first,” Hey said of sharing space with the Komets hockey franchise. “They have figured it out now. But also the Coliseum could manage the crowds and handle that better than at the schools.

“Our gym couldn’t hold the crowd, and the rent was cheap. When they built the Coliseum, that was an extra 1,000 or so fans we could get into see the game.”

The decade also saw the Coliseum playing host to games between Central and Oscar Robertson’s Crispus Attucks teams.

During the 1960s, Hey said, half of North Side’s home schedule was played at the Coliseum. He said the crowds would be big for Central, South Side and later against Snider.

“I never coached at North Side against South Side at their place,” said Hey, who added that South Side would move its “home” games against the Redskins to the Coliseum.

Eldridge, a 1961 South Side graduate, said the games against Central and North Side always seemed to draw a full house.

Hey, who retired from coaching in 1988, added that the early days of the SAC Tournament were at the Coliseum in the mid-’70s, but the interest was waning and the advent of girls basketball and ensuing two tournaments eventually made it too expensive to keep holding the tournament there.

The SAC Tournament was at the Coliseum from 1975 to 1986, returned to the Coliseum last season for one day and will have three days of girls and boys basketball Dec. 28-30.

High school basketball hasn’t been lost altogether over the years at the Coliseum with the ACAC tournament there annually.

Postseason games have been more prevalent recently than the regular season. Brown said that the semistate games of the 1990s had sellout crowds.

But the playoffs haven’t even been on the Coliseum floor since 1998, the first season of class basketball.

“It is sad,” Sims said. “I don’t know if it is class basketball or what. People talk that Indiana high school basketball is dead. It’s not, but it is on life support. They are taking away the luster for the kids in Fort Wayne of playing at the Coliseum. Maybe we can make some effort to host more games now at the Coliseum.”

Current Homestead coach Chris Johnson would agree with Sims on the state of Indiana high school basketball. Johnson was the Bishop Dwenger coach when the Saints lost in the 1997 regional and 1996 semistate at the Coliseum.

“It is not near the same feeling walking into the regional with us (Dwenger), DeKalb, South Side and New Haven, compared to when we won a sectional and went to a regional here (2002 with Homestead),” Johnson said. “It is nowhere near the same.”

Former South Side standout Cam Stephens said he would like to see at least sectional games back at the Coliseum “just for the atmosphere.” Stephens was on the 1997 team that lost to DeKalb in the regional semifinals against Mr. Basketball Luke Recker and company. After playing collegiately at Purdue and Charlotte and professionally overseas, Stephens is back at South Side as an assistant coach.

“It is the closest thing to college basketball you will get at the high school level,” Stephens said of playing in the Coliseum. “It is a great atmosphere for the kids. It is Indiana basketball at its finest. The kids knowing that some of the pros have played there and just getting in on the history of that makes the kids want to play hard.

“I can’t describe it really. I am getting goosebumps talking about it again. The kids will really enjoy it. I wish Snider all the luck.”

Damn, they'll raise the roof there for sure.

One of my favorite memories of broadcasting HS hoops, was doing Manchester HS in the Semi State finals against the eventual state champion, SB Clay. That was an incredible weekend, only surpassed by the final 4 the next weekend.

Edited by southsider2k4

Damn, they'll raise the roof there for sure. 

One of my favorite memories of broadcasting HS hoops, was doing Manchester HS in the Semi State finals against the eventual state champion, SB Clay.  That was an incredible weekend, only surpassed by the final 4 the next weekend.

Anyone watch the Lawrence North-Poplar Bluff game last night?

I was impressed with Tyler Hansbrough, but I am not sure he is at the top 10 level. Oden is young. He played timid in the first half, but then again, his team played at a pace that didn't favor him too.

There were good players on both teams. I was also impressed with Cloutier from LN. He is headed to Western Michigan, I believe.

46 for MANning.....2 away

Manning also owns the record now for most consecutive games w/ 2+ TDs with 13 games, passing Unitas.

The guy's a legend. There is no doubt he is the best quarterback I've ever seen, and he probably is the best all time-even the best player of all time.

The guy's a legend.  There is no doubt he is the best quarterback I've ever seen, and he probably is the best all time-even the best player of all time.

Houston pretty much shut him down today. He got the two TDs in the first quarter and that is it. Put off the ceremonies for another week.