Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 15, 2005 -> 10:37 PM)
Reggie Miller had 3 free throws to tie the game against the Magic......... he made only 2. What happened to the Clutch Master? 85-84 Magic with 5 secs left.

Wow, I can't believe they even came back to make those matter. I checked the score periodically tonight. But about Reggie, he got old. :D

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...n18.html?sub=AR

Major League Baseball has sent a message to prospective buyers of the Washington Nationals giving them until Jan. 31 to submit their applications along with a partially refundable $100,000 deposit, two sources confirmed yesterday.

About a half-dozen bidders have so far placed the $100,000 deposits, according to MLB. Some bidders have been told that they may start to review the Nationals' financial data by the end of January, although no specific dates appear to have been set.

I think if we take up collection starting tonight, we might be able to put together a competitive offer. Of course, this should be tempered with the knowledge that the Nats have Christian guzman, Vinny CAstilla, and Esteban Loaiza all under contract in 2005. The good news is you can fire Jim Bowden.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-o...ov=ap&type=lgns

Tony Suanders attempting comeback... Oh Snap... Ouch, yeah that Tony Saunders.

BALTIMORE (AP) -- Tony Saunders has tried to purge the memory of the night when his throwing arm nearly snapped in half as he unleashed a fastball. As if that wouldn't be hard enough, it happened again.

The left-hander retired after the second fracture, which happened 15 months later during a minor league rehab stint. Now, some four years after he walked away from the game, Saunders is once again attempting to return to the major leagues.

Saunders agreed Wednesday to a minor league contract with the Baltimore Orioles and will begin his comeback at spring training next month. His fastball has yet to reach 90 mph, but he's throwing without pain -- or fear of breaking his arm for a third time.

Eagles to sign construction worker for Super Bowl?

Jeff Thomason watched the NFC Championship Game Sunday as a retired player, 2 years removed from the fray.

Yesterday, sitting at the desk in Chesterfield, N.J., where he works as an assistant project manager for Toll Brothers construction, Thomason fielded a series of phone calls. By late afternoon, he'd agreed to return to the Eagles. Assuming he passes a physical today, Thomason will begin practicing tomorrow for the Feb. 6 Super Bowl in his old role as a reserve tight end and special-teams player.

"It's pretty incredible," Thomason, 35, said last night. "I'm just thrilled to be part of this whole thing."

The first call Thomason got yesterday was from his old friend Chad Lewis, whom Thomason had watched score two touchdowns in the Eagles' 27-10 victory over the Atlanta Falcons. Lewis had shocking news: Lewis had suffered a Lisfranc tear in his left foot on the second TD catch, sidelining him for Super Bowl XXXIX. Then Lewis delivered an even bigger surprise.

"He said, 'I'm going to try to get you in here to take my spot,' " said Thomason, whose 10-year NFL career included two Super Bowls with the Green Bay Packers, and the 2000-2002 seasons with the Eagles. "Chad's an amazing person, to be thinking of someone else at a time like that."

Thomason wasn't re-signed when the Eagles drafted L.J. Smith in the second round in 2003.

Signing a player who hasn't taken the field in 2 years might seem like a stretch, but with less than 2 weeks to prepare, it's very important that the new tight end understand the Eagles' systems, and be able to help out on special teams, where Smith probably will see a reduced role, now that he's the starting tight end.

Marat Safin beats World #1 Roger Federer in 5 amazing sets. 5-7,6-4,5-7,7-6,9-7. One of the most unbelieveable games I have ever seen. He'll play the winner of the Hewitt vs. Roddick Semi Final in 2 nights.

I was going through some Q&A's of the Sport Guy on ESPN.com...

Q: Not that there is anything wrong with this, but have you ever noticed that most NBA team names sound like gay bars? Bulls, Bucks, Rockets, Cavaliers, Nuggets, Mavericks, Jazz, Hawks, Blazers, Warriors, Heat, Bobcats, Pistons, Spurs, Timberwolves, and Grizzlies all sound like they are catered to the leather and mustache set. I also think Magic, Wizards, Kings, 76ers, and Pacers sound like male performance enhancement pills. Rockets could also fit into that category as well.

--Scott G., Chicago, IL

SG: The NBA ... it's FANNNNNNN-tastic! I love this game!

:lolhitting

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Feb 4, 2005 -> 07:42 PM)
Pop Quiz. What's the most points scored in a half of NBA basketball. Orlando and Boston are tied at 67 at the end of the 1st half, I'd say that'd be up there, maybe in the top 10.

Most points scored in 1 half of an NBA game by ONE team is 107 on Nov. 10th by the Phoenix Suns. Best I could do. Oh ya Final Score

Phoenix Suns - 173

Denver Nuggets- 143