Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cubs announcer just said Tony Clark is the tallest player in major league history at 6'7. RJ? Rauch? You'd think he wouldn't forget about RJ because the game is in Arizona of all places.

I hope he meant "tallest first baseman in major league history." That sounds more like it.

http://www.indystar.com/articles/0/235227-8740-036.html

Earlier Thursday, in an interview on ESPN2's "Cold Pizza" show, Oden raised hopes of Indiana University fans by acknowledging he could be interested in playing for the Hoosiers. But coach Jack Keefer said not to make too much of the comment, and noted that Oden met with coaches from Ohio State later in the day. Oden is talking regularly to various college coaches.

:ph34r:

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 21, 2005 -> 12:39 AM)
LeBron = #1 fantasy pick in drafts next season. And I got him about #5 bi-atches.  :P

Dude, I got Amare Stoudamire in the 3rd round and Dwyane Wade in the 4th round. :D

Yep, that ain't happening next year.

BTW, congrats on the Soxtalk League championship. :cheers

QUOTE(qwerty @ Apr 22, 2005 -> 07:43 PM)
No he won't. It will still be garnett.

I agree. I'd also take Tim Duncan and perhaps Shawn Marion ahead of him.

Marion is the guy who is probably a Top 20 player in this league, but if we're talking fantasy basketball, he contributes in all 9 categories. He's beyond valuable.

Amare Stoudamire still has too many games where he gets into foul trouble & doesn't contribute much. Dwyane Wade would get me 7+ turnovers per game some nights. 24 matchups on the fantasy season, and I won the turnover battle once, IIRC.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti...399/1004/SPORTS

Hoosiers make Oden's final 4

By Jeff Rabjohns

Lawrence North 7-foot junior center Greg Oden said Monday he has narrowed his list of colleges to four, including Indiana University.

The top-ranked player in the Class of 2006, Oden said if he attends college he will choose among Indiana, Ohio State, Wake Forest and Michigan State.

Oden and classmate Mike Conley, a 6-1 point guard ranked in the top 20 nationally, took their first official visits this past weekend to Wake Forest in Winston-Salem, N.C.

"It was fun. We had a good time," said Oden, who is widely projected as the top pick in the 2006 NBA draft if he declares.

Oden said he wouldn't classify any of his final four schools as the leader.

Conley said Wake Forest and Ohio State are his leaders, with Illinois, North Carolina and Arkansas on the second tier.

The Illini have been chasing Conley from the beginning of the recruiting process. North Carolina joined the process late, and Arkansas involves family ties. Conley's father, Mike, was a track star there, and Conley was a ball boy for former Razorbacks coach Nolan Richardson.

Conley said he and Oden plan to take an official visit to Ohio State in late May.

This was the third time the pair had been to Wake Forest.

"We learned a lot, going to class, living like a student more or less, seeing what the city is like," Conley said.

Oden and Conley said the rumors in recruiting circles that the two are a package deal are false.

"It's nothing we've discussed," Conley said. "(Oden) still likes IU and other schools I'm not interested in.

"We like some of the same schools, and maybe that's why people think that. We're not a package deal, but it would be fun to play with each other after high school."

Bears NFL Europe roundup

NFL Europe Review: Week 5

Jason Klabacha - Scout.com

May 2, 2005 at 5:52pm ET

The Bears are looking for a third quarterback to emerge off their roster. Kurt Kittner didn't improve his chances over the weekend.

This weekend marked the halfway point of the season and Kittner's for start for the Admirals. It came in a 27-16 loss to the Berlin Thunder. He completed 21-of-40 passes for 281 yards, one touchdown and three interceptions.

For the season he has two touchdowns to five picks.

Derrick Ballard started his fifth consecutive game at weak-side linebacker for Amsterdam. He made one tackle, broke-up a pass and had a special teams stop.

For the second straight week, Cliff Washburn started at left tackle for the Frankfurt Galaxy, who defeated the Rhein Fire 23-20.

Nicholas Setta connected on field goal attempts of 21 and 42 yards, but a 43-yard try sailed wide left. On the season he's 6-of-9 with a long of 48 yards.

A.J. Ricker continues to be a mainstay at center for Rhein, while Bryan Anderson continues to see playing time in a reserve role.

The Hamburg Sea Devils started dropped their first two decisions of the season, but are now riding a three-game winning streak following a 23-6 victory over Cologne.

"When you start off 0-2, the only thing you can hope for is to be 3-2 at the halfway point of the season, and that's not easy," said head coach Jack Bicknell. "I'm very happy with this team, the way they practice, the way they prepare and the way they want to win. We dug ourselves a hole in the beginning, and we're not out of it yet, but we're showing some good progress at the halfway mark."

RB Zack Abron rushed for a game-high 65 yards on nine carries, including a 24-yard touchdown. He's among the league leaders in points, rushing yardage and yards from the line of scrimmage.

QB Ryan Dinwiddie struggled against the Centurions defense. He completed just 3-of-9 passes for 33 yards.

Greg White had his best game of the year for Cologne. As the starting right end, he produced two sacks and three tackles on the day. White is tied for the league lead with three sacks.

Jamin Elliott had three receptions for 35 yards and also averaged 20.5 yards on two kickoff returns.

Jay williams blog.

http://www.nba.com/blog/blog11.html

I met with my orthopedic doctor on Thursday, and I got cleared for my knee. This is a huge for me. I'm so much further along than people ever, ever thought I'd be. Even though I'm doing drills, running, shooting, I haven't done the full-blown running because Tim and I still think I have a little weakness in my left leg which is what we're working on every day.

Teams hear I'm working out with Tim Grover and they're interested in me which is an awesome feeling. Next year, I will be playing. Count on it. It pumped me up for the Toronto Raptors to call and see how I am. I received some other calls from some other teams. It means a lot to me. I think teams are realizing that my comeback is not just talk. It's not me working out from a remote location overseas and saying, "Hey, I'm doing great. I'm going to come back and play again. You'll see." Now, I have a world-renowned trainer who believes in me and who says I'm going to play again as well. Now, people are saying, "Wow, this kid is going to play again." No teams have come to visit me or watch me work out. I'm going to try to get my leg a lot stronger in the summer and by the end of the summer we're going to hold a workout for teams to see me play. I want to make sure that when I step in front of these guys and get evaluated, I want to make sure I'm in the best possible position to succeed.

I'm extremely happy the Bulls are doing well. My rookie year I got into this whole blown-up thing. After a game was over, I made a couple comments where I stated that they needed to get some different players in here. The fans of Chicago deserve a lot more because it's a hard-working city and they deserve a hard-working team. They deserve a coach everybody believes in. I said all this stuff and I got ripped for it. The media blasted me for everything I said. Now I look back on the situation and the reason why I'm happy for them is they've got all these guys who are good, quality guys from good backgrounds. They have a coach, Scott Skiles, who they believe in and who isn't really the nicest guy, which I love, because you need to have a coach who doesn't care and is going to fight for you as much as you fight for him. He's going to be by your side. Even though they don't have an All-Star-caliber guy on that team, I think they represent Chicago to the best of its ability right now. They're a hardworking team who's going to give you everything they have. Their success thus far has been a joy to watch. Should there be a Game 5 in Chicago on Wednesday, I'll be there at the United Center rooting for those guys.