Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

Just saving this for the fall.... :P

Question: With the New England Patriots standing in the way of the Indianapolis Colts' trip to the Super Bowl for two straight years, do you think the Colts have a shot at beating them this year? I also want your thoughts on if you think Tom Brady is better than Peyton Manning. (Jonathan from Indianapolis)

Answer: The Patriots have owned the Colts lately, winning the last six meetings. The playoff games the past two seasons have been somewhat lopsided -- 24-14 in the AFC title game after the 2003 season and 20-3 in the Divisional round after the '04 season. But people tend to forget how closely contested the regular-season games were in 2003-04. Give New England credit for playing well each time, but the Colts were hardly manhandled. They simply made too many mistakes each time. In 2003, the Patriots won 38-34 in the RCA Dome by stopping Edgerrin James from the 1-yard line in the final seconds. In the 2004 season opener in Foxboro, the Patriots won 27-24 as Peyton Manning had a pass intercepted at the goal line, James lost a fumble at the goal line and Mike Vanderjagt missed a 48-yard field goal with 19 seconds remaining that would have tied the game. As for the Brady/Manning debate, that's a tough call. Brady has the hardware (three Super Bowl rings). Manning counters with two straight NFL MVP awards. It's a team game, so everyone naturally points to Brady's accomplishments. All I'll say is Brady has had the benefit of playing for a team with a much better defense than Manning. Also, I've always believed Peyton Manning could be the quarterback of the New England Patriots and do the things Tom Brady has done with the same supporting cast. I don't believe Tom Brady could be the quarterback of the Indianapolis Colts and do the things Peyton Manning has done with the same supporting cast.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get Insider, but this is on the little teaser on the College BBall page....

http://insider.espn.go.com/proxy/proxy.dll...%3fid%3d2084307

Indiana latest looking to catch Rush

Indiana may move up a few notches in the Big Ten if Brandon Rush commits to the Hoosiers.

Think about a lineup of Rush, Auburn senior transfer forward Marco Killingsworth, Big Ten freshman of the year forward D.J. White, big wing Robert Vaden and a point guard of Marshall Strickland, Earl Calloway or Lewis Monroe. That would probably be the most talented starting five outside of Michigan State in the league.

*slurp*

Someone's gotta help me with this quote. :lol:

Chicago's ESPN radio 1000's Silvy and Carmen show have a hysterical sound-bite they use whenever they caught up in discussing something nerdy.

It sounds like it's from an older movie and I'd love to find out which one.

It simply goes:

"Youuuuuuu are a huge nerd."

Edited by AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
I luvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv da Chort. :wub:

BTW, It's Trimuph the insult comic dog talking to a storm trooper who was waiting in line to see the latest star wars flick...

It went something like this:

Triumph: Unknown question

StormTrooper: Unknown answer, but he speaks in sticcato like sentences.

Triumph: Do strormtroopers all talk like robots? -- [Triumphs Robot Voice] You Are A Huge Nerd.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 18, 2005 -> 05:09 PM)
BTW, It's Trimuph the insult comic dog talking to a storm trooper who was waiting in line to see the latest star wars flick...

It went something like this:

Triumph: Unknown question

StormTrooper: Unknown answer, but he speaks in sticcato like sentences.

Triumph: Do strormtroopers all talk like robots? -- [Triumphs Robot Voice] You Are A Huge Nerd.

Great skit.

Triumph: So, these buttons help you breath, huh?

Triumph: Um, so which one of these buttons calls your mother to pick you up. :lolhitting :lolhitting

Nextel Cup Standings

After: GFS Marketplace 400

Rank Driver Behind

1. -- Tony Stewart Leader

2. -- Jimmie Johnson -126

3. -- Greg Biffle -252

4. -- Rusty Wallace -289

5. -- Mark Martin -369

6. +1 Jeremy Mayfield -399

7. -1 Kurt Busch -420

8. -- Ryan Newman -495

9. +1 Carl Edwards -510

10. -1 Jamie McMurray -566

• 2 weeks later...

Teyo Johnson was relaeased by the Raiders, he could be a great fit for the Bears. We desperatly need a TE, Desmond Clark most likely will not make it through the entire season and right now John Gilmoure is the backup. Teyo was a 2nd round pick 2 years ago and was a damn good TE/WR at Stanford.

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Sep 4, 2005 -> 11:49 AM)
David Terrell was cut by the Patriots.

I hope he ends up in the CFL. The guy is a headcase and a below average WR, he was so damn happy to be out of Chicago yet the people in Chicago were 1000X happier to see him gone.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
For those of you that follow the NFL in-depth, what does it look like the role will be for Matt Jones.  He was drafted by the Steelers, right?  How has he done?  Will he fit in right away?

He was drafted by the Jaguars late in the first round. It appears he'll be the 3 WR option behind Jimmy Smith and Reggie Williams and ahead of Ernest Wilford. Like Antwan Randel El you'll probably see the occational trick play with him throwing down field. He should get a decent amount of receptions out of the slot and his versatility and ultra-athletism could have him slipping into a more major role later in the year.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 5, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
For those of you that follow the NFL in-depth, what does it look like the role will be for Matt Jones.  He was drafted by the Steelers, right?  How has he done?  Will he fit in right away?

He's gonna start as their 3rd WR. He was one of the top WR in the AFC on the preseason. And he is on the Jaguars.

He also made a ridiculous highlight reel grab recently. Just has awesome athleticism and will probably find more of a role on JAX as the year progresses.

Edited by WHarris1

Surprised he didn't fit in with the Pats. You had to figure Belly could make it work, plus he was reunited with his college QB in Brady.

This may just be DT's last chance, mainly because he doesn't have the right attitude of a 4th or 5th receiver. If he was a harder worker who didn't have all that baggage, he'd probably already have stuck somewhere. Hell he'd probably still be in Chitown.

Ben Graham starts his 1st regular season game punting for the New York Jets today. He used to play for my favorite Aussie Footy Team, and he can flat out boom it with his leg, I'm talking over 60+ yards here if he gets onto em. He'll be the oldest rookie in HISTORY in the league.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw this guy play in high school. I know he went to a JUCO in Texas, last year. I had no idea he got taken on by the Buckeyes. Kind of cool.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/8898872

1. Sylvester Mayes, Ohio State: After two years of junior college, the 6-foot Mayes will be a junior this season for the Buckeyes. Growing up in South Bend and then Fort Wayne, Ind., Mayes seemed destined to fall through life's cracks. He didn't have much in the way of familial support, and was shuttled between group homes and foster homes. Basketball rescued him, and this season Mayes could be one of the best newcomers in the Big Ten.