Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/nba/watch-y...city-143239.php

On the list of Stories We’d Rather Not Report But Have To Anyway, we point out that Utah Jazz point guard — and University of Illinois legend — Deron Williams was arrested (along with another, more anonymous, rookie) over the weekend for giving false information to police. Apparently, there was a bar fight in Park City — honestly, it’s like “The Warriors” in Park City these days — and when police asked for indentification, Williams told them his name was “Torrey Ellis.” (We don’t know what it means either; a cursory Google search brings up little. We wish Deron would have said “Nick Smith” or “Will Tuttle.”)

Honestly, we can’t imagine this would be much of a story — cops said they weren’t going to charge either player had they not lied about their names — if it didn’t take place in Utah, where people freak out every time a (black) player coughs. The Salt Lake Tribune actually has a story this morning where they talk to various local psychologists to try to determine why, heavens, players might have possibly lied to police officers. Jazz fans are so great. Please trade Ron Artest here.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Dec 15, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)

During March of my Senior year of high school, 2002, i went to go copy some ncaa brackets at the library because we had a sub in my history class. Well i got caught by a hall monitor without a pass. I told her that my teacher said i could go to the office or something, and asked if i could bring a note back. She said sure, just fill out this detention slip first, then if you bring back a note i'll rip this up. So when i went to fill out the detention slip, i had to think of a fake name and number immediately. The first one that came to my head - Kevin McDougal.

Hooray for me watching the XFL.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow. The Buick Invitiational had an awesome ending. At least 10 guys had a shot at this all day, because the course was just beating everyone up.

Tiger, Olazabal, and a rookie Green have a 2 hole playoff after finishing the 72 at -10. Green falls out on the first playoff, and Olazabal chokes a putt to halve the second hole.

Tiger is victorious in his first tournament as a 30 year old.

• 2 weeks later...

NIU signed a 5 year deal with CSTV, allowing them to basically design the schools athletics website. The new site design is up, and when it's all said and done, there will be detailed player bios for every player on every team, gamecast, more photos and detailed stories, and a Huskie shop where you can get all kinds of gear. Pretty cool to see, AD Jim Phillips at it again.

http://www.niuhuskies.com

• 2 weeks later...