Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does anyone think he would be a 90%/ 2.5 GAA guy in front of a decent defense?

I think anyone can in this age. Look at the Devils, Corey freaking Schwab has given up only two goals in the three games he's played. They had another guy, Clemensen, make his NHL debut and get a shutout. If Kolzig was on the Devils or the Wild, he'd easily have 90% and 2.5.

Byron Scott is fired from the Nets afta he took them to back to back NBA finals series.

And Tracy McGrady has hit 34 points in the 1st half against Cleveland with King James hittin 8 of 9 three pointers. Magic lead 62-59 at halftime.

Ohio State coach joins Bears

January 27, 2004, 3:31 PM CST

Tim Spencer, running backs coach at Ohio State for the last 10 years, was named to the same post with the Bears on Tuesday.

Spencer, a running back at Ohio State from 1979-1982, was the second player taken in the 1983 USFL draft where he played a year each for Chicago (1983), Arizona (1984) and Memphis (1985) before signing with the San Diego Chargers (1985-90), where he was a four-year starter at fullback.

He returned to Ohio State in 1990 after retiring as a player to complete his degree requirements and was named to John Cooper's coaching staff before the 1994 season.

He coached Buckeye stars Maurice Clarett and Eddie George. Spencer and new Bears head coach Lovie Smith were on the Ohio State staff together in 1995.

Spencer was the Buckeyes' starting fullback as a sophomore, moved to tailback his final two years and led the team in rushing both of those seasons.

He finished his career with 3,553 yards rushing, third on the school's career list behind Heisman Trophy winners Archie Griffin (5,589) and George (3,768).

Well they are both playing behind weak defenses, except for Leetch and Gonchar.  I dunno, I'd trust Kolzig more, he's taken a team to the finals.  Plus Dunham just got a concussion the other day, who knows how that will affect him.

Not to take anything away from your post but, Leetch and Gonchar are horrible defensive defenceman, you realize, they are part of the big liability for both teams. The Rangers are very short on defensive defencemen, Leetch and Poti are both essentially defensive leaning wingers out there and their team defence is brutally slow. Too much cash spent of offensive defencemen. Jussi Markanen just refuses to be a good #1 goalie, always awesome backup numbers but blow when put into the top spot. The Rangers suck and Sather is so out of touch with hockey it's not even funny, his current team would be a decent team if the NHL were in mid 80's style, but in todays NHL, not even close to matching what has shown to be a succesful looking hockey team.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Jameer Nelson has led St. Joseph's to a number three ranking. If they have a good run in the tourny, Nelson will win the Player of the Year Award. Even if they go undefeated, I would not be surprise if they ended up with a two seed in the tourny (although this year seems a down year all around, so I wouldn't be surprised with the getting a one seed).

I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but Jameer Nelson has led St. Joseph's to a number three ranking. If they have a good run in the tourny, Nelson will win the Player of the Year Award. Even if they go undefeated, I would not be surprise if they ended up with a two seed in the tourny (although this year seems a down year all around, so I wouldn't be surprised with the getting a one seed).

If St Joe either goes undefeated or loses say one game. They have got to be a #1 seed IMO.

Hawks are winning 4-0 on the road at TOR with about 4 minutes left in the period :o

It is now a final. The Hawks with 13 wins beat the Eastern Confrence leading Maple Leafs who had 13 losses all year :o The Leafs outshot the Hawks 21-2 and still lost 4-1. Craig Anderson stood on his head.

It is now a final.  The Hawks with 13 wins beat the Eastern Confrence leading Maple Leafs who had 13 losses all year :o The Leafs outshot the Hawks 21-2 and still lost 4-1.  Craig Anderson stood on his head.

Um, if they scored four goals, how did they have two shots?

It is now a final.  The Hawks with 13 wins beat the Eastern Confrence leading Maple Leafs who had 13 losses all year :o The Leafs outshot the Hawks 21-2 and still lost 4-1.  Craig Anderson stood on his head.

They should neva play Passmore again and just hav Anderson and Leighton rotatin until T-Bo comes back. Then the goaile with da betta form stays up to be his back - up. Sully's been playin great lately along with Mark Bell, those 2 forwards hav really carried da load this year.

I get to see future IU basketball/football recruit set a record!!!

WANE February 3, 2004) James Hardy scored 17 points in a 72 to 58 win at Blackhawk Christian on Tuesday. That leaves the Elmhurst senior 17 points away from becoming the all-time leading scorer in Ft. Wayne boys history. He had 11 points at halftime, and the Braves really clamped down on the Indiana recruit all night. Hardy played smart, not forcing shots, and setting up his teammates instead. He said afterwards the record's on his mind, but getting wins is much more important as the playoffs approach. Hardy gets another chance to pass Tom Baack of Concordia on Saturday, when the Trojans host South Side.

Saturday - South Side at Elmhurst

6 p.m.: After scoring 17 points in a 72-58 victory over Blackhawk Christian on Tuesday, Elmhurst senior James Hardy now is 17 points from breaking former Concordia Lutheran great Tom Baack's city all-time boys scoring record of 1,623 points. Hardy scored 30 points in the Trojans' 75-63 win over South Side in the teams' season openers and scored 36 points in a 60-57 loss to South Side in the SAC Holiday Tournament. With those stats, Hardy should be a shoe-in to score more than 17 points on Saturday.

Pfft.  The Fort Wayne scoring record :rolleyes: Call me when he breaks a real record :lol:  ;)

Wow... :o

Hardy only put up 12 against us, so he's 5 shy of the record. He got the shaft in this one unfortunately. He got a technical foul called on him for hanging on the rim for too long, and it wasn't long at all. He dunked the ball, and he couldn't really jump back down w/ all the people under him. He could have either hurt himself or players below him. This ref really seemed out to get him. However, he did get ejected out of the game, because he had a tech in the first half for talking trash to one of our players. His next shot at getting the city record will be against Homestead, because he's required to sit out Elmhurst's next game against Concordia.

I'll post the article on this when I can get to it.

Here's the article...

Hardy hangs himself out to dry

Hardy hangs himself out to dry

Elmhurst star ejected, just 5 points short of city scoring record

By Greg Jones

High school sports editor

Leaning against a wall outside the Elmhurst locker room and congratulating his Trojan teammates on a 61-56 win over South Side on Saturday wasn't supposed to be the postgame celebration that James Hardy had in mind.

Hardy was supposed to be honored during the game for breaking the city's career boys basketball scoring record. But two technicals left Hardy leaving the game earlier and regulated to cheerleader after the game instead of the record-holder.

Hardy, ejected after the second technical was assessed for hanging on the rim in the third quarter, scored 12 points and finished five short of breaking ex-Concordia star Tom Baack's record of 1,623.

"This wasn't as special as I thought it would be," Hardy said. "Everybody came out to see me break the record and me and my teammates get the win, and unfortunately (the record) didn't happen."

The 6-foot-7 forward has to sit out the team's next game under IHSAA rules. The Trojans are - ironically - at Baack's former school, Concordia, on Wednesday. Hardy's next chance at the record will be Feb. 18 at home against Homestead.

"I let my team down," Hardy said. "I wanted to be out there, and I wanted to beat these guys with my teammates. And I knew it was my night."

It didn't look as though it would be close to Hardy's night, having only scored four points in the first half on 2-of-10 shooting. But Hardy opened the third quarter, making his first three shots - two three-pointers and a rebound dunk of an Allen Tatum miss to help Elmhurst (10-6, 5-3) turn a 29-22 deficit into a 37-29 lead.

But the referee determined that Hardy held onto the rim after his two-handed slam just a little too long. After a few minutes, Hardy was disqualified after previously getting a technical in the second quarter for trash-talking with a South Side player.

Hardy left the court amid a chorus of jeers and expletives from the home crowd.

"I looked down and people were still around me, and I didn't want to come down on anybody's ankle, so I waited," Hardy said of the dunk. "By the time I came down, he called it. I didn't think it was a good call.

"I have to respect the referee and the decision that they made."

Elmhurst coach Keith Edmonds talked with the officials after Hardy received the second technical.

"The way I interpret the rule on a dunk is that you are allowed to hang on the rim to protect yourself," Edmonds said. "The way the referee interpreted it is that James was showboating. He has never been called for that after a dunk. I wish the referee would have taken a look at the whole thing.

"James is a talented basketball player who is a kid. Sometimes when you are in the spotlight as much as he is, we don't know the pressure he goes through day in and day out just trying to be James Hardy."

Hardy, who averages 28 points per game, was well on his way to getting the record in the third quarter, despite a poor shooting performance in the first half.

"It wasn't anything about frustration," Hardy said. "I was feeling it in the third quarter. This was my night.

"The other guy (on the first technical) was the main one that was talking. All I said was, 'Why are you talking, you haven't accomplished anything?' Then the referee teched me up."

After Hardy left the game, the Archers (8-9, 2-4 SAC) went on a 10-0 run to regain the lead, 39-37. But South Side committed nine of its 29 turnovers in the fourth quarter, and Hardy's teammates held on for the win.

"Our intensity dropped when he wasn't in there, and (the Trojans) got every single call," South Side coach Ryan Bond said. "I don't think (the referee) meant to call the technical on the dunk. When he called that, he had to figure out a way for people to get their money's worth, I guess. I thought it was a horribly officiated game.

"The first one, I thought they would give two guys technical fouls, but they gave just James one. On the second one, I think (the referee) was going to call whoever was hanging on the rim, but he looked up and saw it was James and thought, 'Oh, now I screwed up.' "

The first technical Hardy received was early in the second quarter.

"I don't think they were baiting him," Edmonds said. "James has to understand he is a high-profile player and when you receive the kind of attention he gets, sometimes players are . . . I don't want to say jealous, but everybody wants their 15 minutes of fame. He needs to understand that and be more mentally tough when things are going against him and players are being a little physical with him. I am disappointed that he responded the way he responded."