Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

This is for cw...

1st Mich. Wolverine Spotted in 200 Years

By DAVID RUNK, Associated Press Writer

DETROIT - A biologist has confirmed the sighting of a real Michigan wolverine, about 200 years after the species was last seen in the state that uses the small but ferocious animal as its unofficial nickname.

Coyote hunters spotted a wolverine near Ubly, about 90 miles north of Detroit. Michigan Department of Natural Resources wildlife biologist Arnie Karr saw the forest predator Tuesday and snapped pictures of the animal as it ran out of the woods and across a field.

The wolverine, a member of the weasel family that grows to about 25 pounds but is ferocious enough to fight off bears and wolves, once ranged across the northern and western United States. It is now limited mostly to northern Canada, Idaho and Alaska, with sightings in a few other states, but its last confirmed sightings in Michigan were by fur traders in the late 1700s and early 1800s.

The appearance is "up there with having a caribou or a polar bear turn up," Department of Natural Resources spokesman Brad Wurfel said Wednesday. "It's unprecedented."

How the scrappy animal returned and even whether it ever really left are mysteries in the state, where the best-known Wolverines are athletes at the University of Michigan.

Raymond Rustem, supervisor of the natural heritage unit in the department's wildlife division, said the wolverine could have traveled to the state, been released or escaped from captivity.

"What it means, who knows?" Rustem said. "When you take a look at the wolverine, there's always been this debate about whether wolverines ever were a part of Michigan's recent past. Some evidence shows that, some says no."

The wolverine was on Michigan's endangered species list until the late 1990s, when it was removed because it wasn't expected to return, Rustem said. Conservationists asked the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to put the animal on its endangered list in 2000, but the agency in October declined to study whether the species should be added.

Says unoffical nickname, what is the offical one then?

EDIT: Question solved somewhere else...it's the Great Lake State.

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Redskins have already huddled, ESPN.com has learned, with the agent for Chicago Bears defensive end Phillip Daniels, and expect a quick deal on him after the start of free agency.

This doesn't sound like a trade to me. It sounds Daniels will become a FA and then sign with the 'Skins.

This doesn't sound like a trade to me.  It sounds Daniels will become a FA and then sign with the 'Skins.

If they r smart. They've overpaid tremendously for Mark Brunell, and they aren't goin to trade Patrick Ramsey. I wouldn't count out a trade yet, it could mean they don't hav to draft a Tommy Harris instead of a Sean Taylor or Kellen Winslow Jr.

I'll probably get some flack for posting this, but hey, I like golf.... :lol:

Tiger has no match

By DOUG FERGUSON

.c The Associated Press

CARLSBAD, Calif. (AP) - Tiger Woods made it sound so simple, even after making it look so hard.

``It all boils down to what my dad always told me when it comes to match play,'' Woods said. ``All you have to do is just be better than your opponent that day. All you have to do is win more holes than you lose.''

When he tapped in a 4-foot par putt on the 34th hole Sunday, Woods proved again that he has no match.

Spraying his tee shots all over La Costa Resort, unable to take the lead until the 25th hole, Woods turned a terrible tee shot into an unlikely birdie, then roared past putt-starved Davis Love III to win the Match Play Championship for the second straight year.

``He's obviously the best at what he does,'' said Love, who failed to win a hole over the final 17. ``That shows even more in match play. He can play the game no matter what rules you put out there.''

Woods won for the 40th time on the PGA Tour in just his 149th start, the quickest anyone has reached that milestone. Jack Nicklaus played 221 events before he won his 40th tournament.

Woods earned $1.2 million, the biggest prize to date on the PGA Tour, and reminded everyone who's No. 1 in the world - and who's the best when the world gets together.

He won for the eighth time in the 14 official World Golf Championships he has played.

Even more impressive is his back-to-back victories in the Accenture Match Play Championship, the most unpredictable format in golf because of the five 18-hole matches required to get to the finals.

Woods thrives on this format.

``Right from the first tee, it's eyeball-to-eyeball,'' he said. ``That to me is a great rush.''

His amateur record was among the best ever - three straight U.S. Junior Amateurs, followed by three straight U.S. Amateur titles. His professional record is starting to catch up.

Woods is 20-3 in this tournament, and 30-5-1 overall in match play.

That's why Love knew he was in trouble when he failed to build a big lead in the morning session, missing three birdie putts inside 10 feet. And that's why everyone else knew what was coming when the match was tied in the afternoon.

The only surprise is where the match turned in Woods' favor.

Woods shoved another drive into the deep rough, behind two trees with a small gap between the branches. Woods took a mighty swing with a wedge from 158 yards and didn't see the ball until it dropped behind the flag, stopping 12 feet away against the fringe.

Caddie Steve Williams reached out to take the club, and Woods gave him a fist-tap, removed his cap, then closed his eyes and exhaled as he slowly placed the cap back on his head.

The birdie gave him a 1-up lead, and Woods found an extra gear.

``I saw Davis was starting to struggle a little bit with his driving,'' Woods said. ``I thought if I could put enough pressure on him ... put that ball tight and make him really work for these wins on holes.''

After another drive into the right rough on the par-5 eighth, he laid up and punched his third shot into 4 feet for birdie to win another hole, then seized control for good on the ninth when Love found the rough and made bogey.

Love had to cope with more than just Woods.

He was heckled by a fan early in the afternoon match. The man let out a ``Whoop!'' when Love missed a par putt on the 20th hole that squared the match.

As Love stepped up to his ball on the fifth tee, the man started saying, ``No Love.''

Love sought out the fan and said, ``We're not leaving until he's out of here.''

They got the fan out of there - and it wasn't long before Woods took Love out of the match.

Love missed several chances in the morning, none more crucial than a 5-foot birdie putt on the par-5 11th at a time he was poised to take a 3-up lead.

His last opportunity came on the same hole in the afternoon.

Woods had to settle for par, and Love stood over a 4-foot birdie putt to cut the deficit to 2 up. Instead, the ball rolled around the rim of the cup, and Love failed to apply any pressure the rest of the way.

``He's tough to beat once he gets ahead,'' Love said.

Love knows that as well as anyone. It was the fourth time he has finished runner-up to Woods, and he is now 0-3 in match play. That includes the semifinals of the 2000 Match Play Championship, the '99 Grand Slam of Golf.

Still, he's never had a chance as good as this one.

Woods hit only two fairways on the front nine in the morning session, and Love twice made birdies outside of him, including the 10th hole for a 2-up lead.

But the par-5 11th was a stunning turnaround.

Woods nearly hit his drive out of bounds, and while he recovered, he hit his wedge to about 20 feet. Love came up short and into a bunker on his second shot, but hit a good shot out to 5 feet.

Woods made his birdie putt and Love pushed his to the right. What might have been a 3-up lead for Love was suddenly 1 up, and Woods caught him by stuffing his tee shot into 8 feet for birdie.

``I just didn't finish holes off when I had a chance,'' Love said.

That usually comes back to haunt a player in match play. When the opponent is Woods, it's just a matter of time.

Woods won 12 straight matches in this fickle format. Perhaps even more amazing is that he has reached the finals three of the last five years.

He wasn't as dominant as last year, when Woods needed only 112 holes over five days to win. Had it been stroke play, he said he probably would have won by a lot.

And if this week had been stroke play?

``I wouldn't have won,'' Woods said.

He wasn't at his best. But in this format, no one is better.

Divots: Darren Clarke defeated Stephen Leaney, 2 up, in the consolation match. ... The week wasn't a total loss for Phil Mickelson, beaten in the quarterfinals. It was good enough for him to win the West Coast Swing and earn a $500,000 bonus.

Awesome hockey fight between the Flyers and Sens...400+ pen mins the news said. I can't wait to see it on SportsCenter:

Link

EDIT: Haha, I just saw it...just so cool...reminds the MSU fight a few weeks ago...

I believe there were some pre-playoff messages being sent there. You gotta love playoff hockey! :headbang

"To the school that has no equal, our dear old South Side High...."

South Side Archers are the 4A Northrop Sectional Champions!!!!!! :headbang

We beat Huntington North in a classic OT battle 60-58!!!!

We play our regionals in Marion next Saturday.

EDIT: I just read that Muncie Central won the sectional at their school, and we'll be playing them next Saturday in Marion. Muncie Central is the school everyone knows from the Milan Miracle story, that came up short.

Another bulls*** thing about this game we just won was since we won a close one and all, we rushed the court after the game.

My friend and I lost our phones somewhere in the process of running down onto the court or in the mob of people, but anyways....

We asked a cop if he had seen any phones being picked up, and he said: "No, but I saw one of your rowdy fans go over and taunt the Huntington North crowd and their cell phone fell out and someone in the Huntington North crowd kicked it and destroyed it." And then he said "That's what you guys get for being so rowdy."

This guy was being such a f***in' jackass...

And after that, my friend said..."No sir, that's what we get for winning."

The f***in' cop arrested him!!!! What a jackass!! :fyou ....I haven't heard anything yet, but he should be allowed to get home. He's 17 as of now, but he turns 18 on Sunday.....Crazy s***.....

"To the school that has no equal, our dear old South Side High...."

South Side Archers are the 4A Northrop Sectional Champions!!!!!! :headbang

We beat Huntington North in a classic OT battle 60-58!!!! 

We play our regionals in Marion next Saturday.

EDIT:  I just read that Muncie Central won the sectional at their school, and we'll be playing them next Saturday in Marion.  Muncie Central is the school everyone knows from the Milan Miracle story, that came up short.

Also the HS with the most state titles in the history of the IHSAA basketball.

Also the HS with the most state titles in the history of the IHSAA basketball.

Don't remind me..... :lol:

I believe they're ranked #10 in the 4A poll, at the moment. However, we just beat a Snider team who was ranked as high as #2 or #3 a month or two ago. Muncie Central will definitely have a crowd at the game; I think this will be a good one.

A little late, but wow..... :headbang

The Pacers defeated the Utah Jazz 96-88 to become the first team to clinch a playoff berth. It is the seventh consecutive season and 14th in 15 campaigns that the Pacers (46-16) will play in the postseason. They have the longest current playoff streak of any team in the Eastern Conference.

They currently have the best record in the NBA w/ a .742 winning pct, and I know people will say they play in the East. However, is it the Pacers fault that the East isn't exactly playing up to par right now? BTW, the Pacers are 17-6 agaisnt the Western Conference......

Well it was a hell of a run.........

My South Side Archers made it to the regionals in Marion yesterday, and they had to play a #10 ranked Muncie Central who was (20-3). We were down 30-25 at the half, but we came out in the 2nd half, making the first six shots of the half, 5 of them were three's. This game went down to the wire, and we got to rush the court after pulling our fourth straight upset to get into the regional final against #6 Columbia City who was (23-3).

The second game wasn't as pretty. Columbia City just worked into us. They played such a slow pace; if you ever needed a reason to see a shot clock established in HS B-Ball, watch them play. They would hold the ball for 2 to 3 minutes at a time, and we couldn't do much of anything. The refs had to be used to coaching girls B-Ball, because any kind of BREATHING on a player, was called a foul. We couldn't catch a break. We had 15 fouls to their 4 in the second half. In the end, CC won 52-37. They go on to play the winner of the Valpo-Laporte game for the state semifinal.

This was such a fun season. We didn't have the best record in the world, (15-11). However, we really turned everything up a notch when it came to tournaments, and what not. We went to the final game of the SAC Holiday tourney, and we made it to the regional final game, after no one thought we would even win our first sectional game. Great season Archers! :headbang

Here's an article about the regional action......

Eagles get last laugh

Upset-minded Archers no match in regional final

By Greg Jones

High school sports editor

MARION - South Side's postseason run came to a resounding close in the Marion Class 4A Regional finals Saturday.

Columbia City beat the Archers 52-37 in the finals.

The No. 6 Eagles (24-3) advance to Saturday's Lafayette Semistate and will play Valparaiso.

South Side (15-11) had pulled off a series of upsets to make it to the regional finals, including a win over No. 10 Muncie Central in the semifinals.

"It was a heck of a run," South Side coach Ryan Bond said. "Nobody thought we would get this far, and we beat some pretty good teams along the way.

"When you think you might not win the first game (of the postseason), and then you get this far, you probably you won't win the state title. You just hope midnight doesn't strike for you, and it just did."

But Columbia City's defense clamped down on South Side and pulled away. The teams were tied at 8 after the first quarter, but the Eagles allowed the Archers only four points in the second quarter.

Columbia City outscored South Side 21-7 in the third.

"I thought we'd be all right when it was 8-8, and they were going to hold the ball as much," Bond said. "But we can hold the ball too. We thought if we get it down to a couple of possessions, maybe we'll get lucky. Then they just fired up all these points, and 'Oh, they can play that way too.'

"But they are just as quick as we are, I guess. If we tried to pressure them, they would get the call and hit the free throws."

South Side's 61-59 upset of Muncie Central in the semifinals spoiled the Eagles chance of avenging one of their three regular-season losses.

"It was honestly a shock," said Columbia City senior Marcus Moore, who shared top scoring honors in the finals with Doug Sheckler (15 points). "But we knew that when they play their game, they are tough to beat. They don't beat Snider twice with no reason. We were a little surprised, but we knew no matter who we played, you just have to do what you have to do.

"We had scouting reports for both teams. We are not going to overlook anybody. I don't even know what their record was, but it is the regional finals and everybody is there for a reason."

Mario White led South Side with 14 points in the championship game.

In the semifinals, Columbia City rolled over Lafayette Jefferson 59-34 in the first semifinal, followed up by South Side's win over the Bearcats.

The Archers (15-11) rode a hot-shooting third quarter in the upset.

Trailing 30-25 at halftime, South Side hit its first six shots of the third, including five three-pointers, and led 42-37 midway through the third.

"We talked at halftime and wanted a good start in the third quarter," White said. "They played off us a lot (in the third), so we just starting hitting threes. Once we are on a roll, it's hard to stop us."

Muncie Central trimmed the lead to 57-55 in the fourth quarter, and the Archers nearly gave the game back by missing 4 of 8 free throws. The Bearcats' Brandon Kelly had a chance to tie the game at 60 with eight seconds left but couldn't make all three free throws after being fouled on a three-point attempt.

Donathan Woods hit a free throw to make it 61-59, and White made a steal to seal the victory.

"You keep watching the clock, and we get some big stops and some big baskets and the clock strikes zero, and it hasn't struck midnight on us yet," Ryan Bond said. "You try to go into it thinking you can win, but you are lying to yourself if you think, 'We are going in there and beat them.' You don't think that. We thought we had a chance."

White and Woods had 15 points each for South Side.

The Archers continued their string of upsets after beating Snider and Huntington North in the Northrop Sectional.

"It is not what everybody else says, we believe in ourselves," White said. "Being an underdog in the sectional, nobody knows what you are going to do."

Columbia City's defense was again impressive, as they held the Bronchos (10-14) in check, including 5-of-14 shooting in the first half. Jeff finished 15 of 36 for the game.

Lafayette Jeff managed only 11 first-half points, including three in the second quarter.

"Every team builds a program around something and ours is defense," Eagles senior point guard Scott Moore said. "We have that pounded into our heads from Coach B (Chris Benedict) since about fourth grade. That's why sometimes games for us are going to be 35-30. As long as we came out on top, it doesn't matter."

Sheckler led Columbia City with 17 points and seven rebounds, but the offense was helped by some timely and unlikely contributions from Moore (10 points) and junior Matt Kauffman (11 points).

"They are going to be keying up on Doug and Marcus (Moore) a lot," Scott Moore said. "So, we have to be threats, too. That's the kind of mentality we took, and they went in."

Columbia City slowly built a 10-6 first-quarter advantage into a 30-11 margin at halftime.

"I thought our guys were pretty zoned in," Benedict said of the defense. "We disrupted them, and they weren't able to get into the things they wanted to get into. Our guards did a great job of pressuring the ball and then we communicated well on the screens."