Flying Under The Radar

Spiff

• Replies 962
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill Green = the coach that brought all those state titles (before Moe), and I could have brought all those state titles as a coach in the 8th grade. What a jerkoff.

Anyway, Moe's struggling, there's a pretty good part of town that wants him fired from what I read. And his quote was "If that's what Marion wants, that's fine, if they don't think a state-title and a runner up is good enough, I'll go somewhere where it is." Good for Moe.

Bill Green = the coach that brought all those state titles (before Moe), and I could have brought all those state titles as a coach in the 8th grade.  What a jerkoff.

Anyway, Moe's struggling, there's a pretty good part of town that wants him fired from what I read.  And his quote was "If that's what Marion wants, that's fine, if they don't think a state-title and a runner up is good enough, I'll go somewhere where it is."  Good for Moe.

Hell send him up here. MC could use a real basketball coach again. :headbang

Niiiiiice.....

The Pacers just won their 50th game, the first team in the NBA to do so. They also move up 1.5 games in the race for playoff homecourt over Sacramento.

Also....

There's talks that now that ND beat Purdue, and the Women's tourney is being hosted at the Joyce Center, ND would have to play their "home" game elsewhere....There's talks that the game could be here in Ft. Wayne, at the Coliseum. I'd definitely be there, it'd be St. Louis vs. ND.....

It's official!! :headbang

ND and St. Louis will be here on Monday night at 7 pm. The morning paper said it was announced this morning by ND, so they don't have a post of the article on the website. I'll post an article when it becomes available this afternoon.....

Here's the article I promised....Tickets for the game are only $15 lower level, and $10 upper level. My friend and I are going to get tickets tomorrow!

Another cool thing, Frank Thomas (No, not that one), Chris Thomas' dad, will most likely be at the game. He played many games at the Coliseum, because he was a star for North Side High School's basketball team.

Coliseum will host Irish game in second NIT round

Scheduling conflicts bring matchup with Saint Louis to town.

By Reggie Hayes

SOUTH BEND - Notre Dame and the NIT are coming to Fort Wayne.

It's a quickie marriage, but holds promise for a fun reception.

Notre Dame will play Saint Louis at 7 p.m. Monday in a second-round NIT men's basketball game at the Memorial Coliseum. Ticket prices and other details were to be released later today.

"Except for the days of the NBA, this will be the highest level of basketball tournament we've ever had at the coliseum," Coliseum General Manager Randy Brown said. "It's very exciting."

Saint Louis was originally scheduled to host the second-round NIT game, but scheduling conflicts and other issues forced the NIT to look elsewhere. Notre Dame, which beat Purdue 71-59 on Wednesday at the Joyce Center to advance, was unable to host a second-round game because the first round of the NCAA women's tournament is at the Joyce Center on Sunday through Tuesday.

Notre Dame officials contacted Brown late Wednesday to investigate the availability of the coliseum. Details of the agreement were completed about 12:45 a.m. today.

"The Notre Dame people were wanting to be as close to home as possible," Brown said. "We were able to put together a package that was attractive for the NIT."

Hosting an NIT game should pay dividends for the coliseum in attracting other basketball events, Brown said.

"This will go a long way in helping advance our cause," Brown said. "We've bid on the NCAA women's first-round games, and this should definitely position us for the future. This is an important first step."

Bengals close to deal with Sapp

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Arguably the best and also best-known player remaining in the unrestricted free agent pool, Tampa Bay Bucs defensive tackle Warren Sapp likely won't be unemployed much longer, ESPN.com has learned.

League sources told ESPN.com that Sapp on Friday night moved very close to agreement with the Cincinnati Bengals on a four-year contract. Some issues remain to be resolved but, barring a setback in the negotiations, the sources said, a deal could be struck on Friday or Saturday.

"If everything goes right," said one source with knowledge of the contract discussions, "something could happen in a matter of hours. There are still some other teams involved but it's moving pretty quickly now with (the Bengals)."

On his Web site, Sapp had listed six franchises with which he would consider continuing his career. It has been clear for the past week that Cincinnati, which reportedly has made a four-year, $16 million offer, has been more aggressive than other suitors.

Early in free agency, coach Marvin Lewis said that landing a veteran defensive tackle was his top offseason priority. The Bengals lost out on other free agents, most notably former Oakland tackle Rod Coleman, who signed with Atlanta.

Landing a player of Sapp's profile, even if his game has declined some, would be huge for the Bengals on and off the field. Sapp has not visited with the Cincinnati officials or coaches but has said he won't need a meeting for something to be completed.

Just as the Bengals' ardor for Sapp has been obvious, so has the lack of interest on the part of Tampa Bay officials in retaining the nine-year veteran. There have been no substantive discussions between Bucs officials and representatives for Sapp, and it now appears both sides are prepared to move on.

A seven-time Pro Bowl player, Sapp is coming off a season in which he totaled 58 tackles and five sacks. The sacks were the fewest since his rookie season in 1995.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

• 2 weeks later...

ADAM SCOTT paid tribute to boyhood idol Greg Norman after winning the Players Championship by one stroke in a heart-stopping finish in Florida today.

After finding the water with his second shot at the final hole, the 23-year-old Queenslander rolled in a three-metre bogey putt to become the youngest winner of the prestigious US PGA Tour event, regarded as the biggest outside the four Majors.

He carded 70 to finish at 12-under-par 276 at the Sawgrass TPC, while fast-finishing Irishman Padraig Harrington shot 66, playing the back nine in 30 strokes, to finish second on 277.

It is Scott's fifth professional victory, his second on the US Tour, and earned him $1.95m.

"Maybe that chipping lesson I got earlier in the week (from Greg Norman) paid off in the end," said Scott, who got up-and-down from 30 metres for the victory.

"I was glad I had a putt to win. I've had a few in the past and not made them. I was making it difficult for myself. It was a straight putt so it was going to be my fault if I missed it.

"Greg Norman, my hero as a kid, won 10 years ago, so this means a lot to me."

Scott is the fourth Australian winner in the past 14 years, joining Steve Elkington (1991 and 97) and Norman (94).

He had a four-shot lead with five holes left, but bogeyed the 14th as well as the last. That, combined with Harrington's barnstorming finish, almost sent it to a playoff.

Norman was among those delighted with the result: "I think he can eclipse all of us. I hope he beats my record everywhere," said Norman.

Best of the other Australians was Craig Parry (74), equal 13th at four-under 284, one stroke better than Geoff Ogilvy (70), who tied for 16th with Tiger Woods. ohn Daly qualified for next week's Masters, despite a poor finish, when he remained in the top 10 on the PGA Tour money list.

Colts, Patriots to Open 2004 NFL Season on Sept. 9

New England Begins Title Defense in Thursday Night AFC Championship Rematch

PALM BEACH, Fla. (March 29) -- Super Bowl champion New England will host the Indianapolis Colts in a rematch of the AFC title game to open the 2004 NFL season on Sept. 9.

The league's third Thursday night opener will be televised by ABC as part of its "Monday Night Football" package.

Other Week 1 games announced Monday at the NFL meetings:

Green Bay at NFC champion Carolina on Monday night, Sept. 13; Dallas at Minnesota in the featured national telecast by Fox on Sept. 12; and Kansas City at Denver in ESPN's Sunday night game.

The rest of the NFL's 2004 schedule will be announced in April.

Kenny Lofton in Indians jersey = superfly pimp

Kenny Lofton in White Sox jersey = the rejuvinator

Kenny Lofton in Giants/Pirates/Cubs jersey = journeyman

Kenny Lofton in Yankee Jersey = assclown.

Kenny Lofton was once the best leadoff hitter in baseball, and an icon in centerfield, now he has been reduced to a distraction in the yankees clubhouse. His blubbering has made him the talk of the radio shows, all because he is upset about starting the season in the 9 hole. Maybe that Derek Jeter guy should be batting 9th Mr. Lofton sir

Obviously Kenny doesn't appreciate the fact that he will probably spend an entire season on one team for the first time since 2001.

Kenny Lofton in Indians jersey = superfly pimp

Kenny Lofton in White Sox jersey = the rejuvinator

Kenny Lofton in Giants/Pirates/Cubs jersey = journeyman

Kenny Lofton in Yankee Jersey = assclown.

Kenny Lofton was once the best leadoff hitter in baseball, and an icon in centerfield, now he has been reduced to a distraction in the yankees clubhouse. His blubbering has made him the talk of the radio shows, all because he is upset about starting the season in the 9 hole.  Maybe that Derek Jeter guy should be batting 9th Mr. Lofton sir

Obviously Kenny doesn't appreciate the fact that he will probably spend an entire season on one team for the first time since 2001.

Lofton used to be a BMOC in Tribetown. In NY, howver, he's as noteworthy as a pimple on Joe Torre's ass.

We need a "cross-your-fingers" smilie...I highly doubt he'll end up in Bloomington, BUT.....

Recruit Smith's father says Hoosiers 'still a possibility'

By Terry Hutchens

April 2, 2004

Pete Smith, the father of Indiana University's top-rated basketball recruit, Josh Smith, said Thursday night his son is still considering playing basketball at IU.

This despite the fact Josh Smith participated in the McDonald's All-American Game on Wednesday -- his third high school all-star game. NCAA rules state that if a high school senior participates in more than two all-star games, he forfeits his freshman season of college eligibility.

When Smith played Wednesday night, most took that as a sign he would head straight for the NBA.

Not so fast, Pete Smith said.

"We haven't made that giant leap to the NBA just yet," Pete Smith told The Star. "We're keeping all of our options open, and playing at Indiana is still a possibility. I think some people are getting ahead of themselves when they say that Josh is definitely headed for the NBA."

NCAA spokesman Jeff Howard told The Associated Press that cases regarding eligibility such as Smith's are determined on a case-by-case basis. That means there's an appeal process available, and Pete Smith said it's something he and his son might pursue.

"Our whole belief is that we're not really part of the NCAA yet because we haven't played one game for the NCAA," Pete Smith said. "My son is still in high school. I don't understand why they have to have such stipulations that you can only play two all-star games or three all-star games or however many they say you can play in.

"I don't think they should have that much control at this point. My son wanted to play in those games and so we felt he should be able to play."

Josh Smith and his father are in San Antonio, where the younger Smith is scheduled to play on the USA Select Team at the Nike Hoop Summit.

Participation in that game is an exception to the NCAA all-star rule because it is considered a national team.

Smith, a 6-8, 214-pound power forward from Powder Springs, Ga., is considered one of the top five high school seniors in the nation.

IU coach Mike Davis, who is also in San Antonio for the Final Four, said he's just waiting to hear a final decision.

"He continues to tell me that he hasn't made a decision and I believe that," Davis said. "I'm just waiting for Josh to make a decision and then we'll go from there."

Davis said he thinks Smith should be able to appeal to the NCAA.

"Why should a young man lose a year when you let college guys go play in Chicago (in the NBA pre-draft camp) and then they're able to come back and play their senior year," Davis said.

Josh Smith said earlier this week he would announce his decision later in April. His dad said the decision will be made Sunday.

"We're going to finalize our decision after the game in San Antonio," Pete Smith said. "Then people will know for sure which way we're going."

:huh: :o

Humphries Declares for NBA Draft 

University of Minnesota men’s basketball freshman Kris Humphries announced today he will enter the 2004 NBA Draft. This year's Big Ten Freshman of the Year and First Team All-Big Ten selection became the first freshman in Big Ten history to lead the league in both scoring and rebounding.

He edged Big Ten Player of the Year Devin Harris of Wisconsin to capture the scoring title in the final game of the regular season to average 21.0 points per game and led all players with 9.5 rebounds per game in League play. Humphries became just the sixth player in League annals to lead in both categories and the first since Purdue's Glenn Robinson accomplished the feat as a sophomore in 1994. The 6-9 forward is the second Gopher to earn Big Ten Freshman of the Year in three seasons. Rick Rickert became the first Gopher to earn the award in 2002.

Is he a lottery pick Spiff?  :o

I'm not sure, but leading the Big 10 in scoring and rebounding, where do you have to go but down? Especially with all the young talent getting picked in the lottery, with the exception of Okafor and Nelson it seems like the longer you wait the further you drop, and he's just risking injury staying in school.

I'm not sure, but leading the Big 10 in scoring and rebounding, where do you have to go but down? Especially with all the young talent getting picked in the lottery, with the exception of Okafor and Nelson it seems like the longer you wait the further you drop, and he's just risking injury staying in school.

I gotta imagine his lack of strength is going to play against him. He needs to put on about 30-40 lbs of bulk.