DVD Burning

aboz56

Although I'm sure some of the posters around here have already figured it out, this past week I finally figured out how to burn any DVD. Just in the past week I've already rented about 15 discs and burned those. The quality of the discs is the same as the original, which was surprising to me. In the past when I'd tried to burn DVDs I could never get around the copyright protections on the discs, but that is no longer an obstacle. Looks like eventually the movie business is gonna be in the same dilemma as the music business when it comes to this sorta stuff.

You can burn it with any program, the key is which program you encode the DVD off the disc with. Most programs will not let you take the materials from the disc and store them on your computer.

If you want the name of the program that takes the materials from the disc, PM me.

Funny "DVD burning" anecdote:

Over the holidays, Christmas Eve actually, I was at my aunt's. The whole extended family was there: aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents. I was talking about how useless my sister's laptop was. My uncle chimed in that he had just gotten a new computer. He was listing off all of the computers cital statistics. "It does everything" he said.

Me -- Does it burn DVDs?

Uncle -- I don't know.

Grandma -- Well you should find out, cuz you don't want to watch one on you computer if it does. -- she was being serious.

I tried to explain that the computer doesn't actually Burn them, as in heat and flames.

Grandma (cutting me off) -- Well if they censor the movies that's just as bad.

We all had a laughed and eventually got it all explained to her.

Funny "DVD burning" anecdote:

Over the holidays, Christmas Eve actually, I was at my aunt's.  The whole extended family was there: aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents.  I was talking about how useless my sister's laptop was.  My uncle chimed in that he had just gotten a new computer. He was listing off all of the computers cital statistics.  "It does everything" he said.

Me -- Does it burn DVDs?

Uncle -- I don't know.

Grandma -- Well you should find out, cuz you don't want to watch one on you computer if it does. -- she was being serious.

I tried to explain that the computer doesn't actually Burn them, as in heat and flames.

Grandma (cutting me off) -- Well if they censor the movies that's just as bad.

We all had a laughed and eventually got it all explained to her.

:lolhitting

I got a dvd burner for xmas, haven't used it yet, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. The problem is, the dvd player in the house is a Sony and I heard Sony won't play burned DVD's. Does anyone know if thats true?

That might be true. My friend was trying to explain to me how he was getting a chip to put in his ps2 to be able to watch burnt dvds. ps2 is a sony so I assume its universal that you cant watch burnt dvds on it. If I ever figure out what the hell hes talkin about with the chip thing I'll let you know cuz I'm interested in it too.

That might be true. My friend was trying to explain to me how he was getting a chip to put in his ps2 to be able to watch burnt dvds. ps2 is a sony so I assume its universal that you cant watch burnt dvds on it. If I ever figure out what the hell hes talkin about with the chip thing I'll let you know cuz I'm interested in it too.

YOU could because that movie that im in, its promo which I beart played not great though

I don't really care if you guys burn dvds, but I really like having the official copy of that DVD. Not the bootleg copy, it's just not the same (at least not for me). I've got a pretty good collection going right now and I couldn't disgrace that collection with a burnt disc. :lol:

A few things:

To Jas, the DVD players we're using are Panasonic and RCA, so I've got no clue if the Sony thing is true or not. I'll try to find out more on that for ya.

To BEGood, I've been busy but I should be around posting more now.

And finally, to KipWells, I feel ya on wanting the official copy, but it's really impossible to own every movie you love, so there's nothing wrong with a direct copy of the disc. Only difference is you don't have the case or the label on the disc. Besides that, same exact thing, which for 80 cents, isn't too shabby.

A few things:

To Jas, the DVD players we're using are Panasonic and RCA, so I've got no clue if the Sony thing is true or not.  I'll try to find out more on that for ya.

To BEGood, I've been busy but I should be around posting more now.

And finally, to KipWells, I feel ya on wanting the official copy, but it's really impossible to own every movie you love, so there's nothing wrong with a direct copy of the disc.  Only difference is you don't have the case or the label on the disc.  Besides that, same exact thing, which for 80 cents, isn't too shabby.

True Abo when I'm looking for a more quirky movie that won't guarantee me many great viewing I'll shhh download it off Kazaa. I've downloaded many; Run Lola Run, House of 1000 corpses, Reign of Fire, The Matrix, Shawshank Redemption, 2001 A Space Odyssey and Requiem for a Dream.

I regret downloading Matrix and Shawshank those would have been better off in my collection.

You gotta tell me where to get a blank DVD for 80 cents. :o

Comp USA had a deal last week on DVD+R spindles of 25 for 19.99 after 5 dollars of instant savings, which calculated to 80 cents per disc. This week they have the deal on DVD-R's. Luckily I loaded up with 3 spindles. That's about as good of a price you're gonna find on blank DVD's. If you keep your eyes peeled when the ads come out on Sunday's, you'll find yourself a deal. Just remember that anything over a dollar a disc isn't a good deal.

Comp USA had a deal last week on DVD+R spindles of 25 for 19.99 after 5 dollars of instant savings, which calculated to 80 cents per disc.  This week they have the deal on DVD-R's.  Luckily I loaded up with 3 spindles.  That's about as good of a price you're gonna find on blank DVD's.  If you keep your eyes peeled when the ads come out on Sunday's, you'll find yourself a deal.  Just remember that anything over a dollar a disc isn't a good deal.

Damn skippy, well, the 15 or so I have now should suit me fine. :\

Considering I almost make my second living dealing with -/+ R and RW: there's a lot of facts I can share with y'all.

1) While Comp USA has good deals on their brand, every once in a while you will run into a spindle that is bad. Bought four 50 packs, and I'm sitting here looking at about 25-30 coasters. But that was one pack out of 4 - 25 out of 200. Not good odds, but not bad either - just be careful.

2) + media is not compatible with as many players as -, but + is a better copy - the encoding is slightly different. I hope that's something you can take my word for, I don't want to bore you with the differences right now.

3) If you have +RW media, if you have a AV input on your pc (firewire can work if your input device supports it), that's an AWESOME hookup - you can burn anything straight to DVD without going to hard drive (TV programs, video tapes, whatever you want. I've got a kick ass computer system for a website I put stuff together for, and I've learned lots of tricks about this stuff (and still learning!!). So if you guys have questions, PM me and I'll be glad to pass on what I do or don't know! :)

Too late.  Besides, I don't make ILLEGAL copies of anything! :rolleyes:

It's for training videos and scouting tapes.  So I burn lots of dvds for that stuff.

I wouldn't suppose it's illegal if you're using it for personal use only, but I could be wrong.

I agree with you on your assessment of the +R's, I've found those to be a lot better with compatability and quality than -R's.

How do you know which ones your dvd player uses?  I know the burner works for both + and - but do DVD players read differently?

I'd much rather be able to use the +

Most DVD players will read either + or -, or most that I've dealt with will at least. Guess you should try one of each and see which one you feel works better with your player.

For anyone that can answer......

Dont have a DVD Rom on my computer; and even though I have a Regular CD Burner would I somehow be able to copy DVDs if I downloaded a certain program.

I know I have to download the actual DVD burning software......but I'm thinking I might have to find another program that could read the DVD and somehow download it on my computer.