Somebody Found the Ticket

mreye

Just a quick legal question, how can the person who claimed to lose the ticket, prove it was hers to claim a portion (or the entire) prize? Would something like this even be possible in this case? Even if it can be proved, can she be awarded anything since she lost it (are there laws on the books that thwart 'finders keepers?'

I am not an attorney, but I would assume she could prove ownership a few ways.

1. A history of playing those numbers. Perhaps losing tickets, etc.

2. The stores camera may have had her come into the store at the time the ticket was sold.

3. Fingerprint or DNA evidence.

I am not an attorney, but I would assume she could prove ownership a few ways.

1. A history of playing those numbers. Perhaps losing tickets, etc.

2. The stores camera may have had her come into the store at the time the ticket was sold.

3. Fingerprint or DNA evidence.

The store's camera's were broken.

Ain't that a b****?!

I see about the last 2 (very good points), but the first one would be nothing more than circumstantial, I would think.  All the other person would have to say is that she missed playing that week...

I think the court would find it very coincidental that the numbers she's played for months all of a sudden someone else played exactly the same week she stopped. Courts have had to summon the wisdom of Salomon before. Look at Bonds baseball. There wasn't case law on that before.

Yeah, but fingerprints only mean she touched it, not owned it. I believe there's not a damn thing she can do, especially now after she came out and said she lost it. Maybe she'd have a better case if she claimed it was stolen.

If someone lost a valuable picture would our answer be the same? Someone lost a valuable item, all the same laws would and should apply just like any other item. The courts would make a resonable attempt at determining the owner. When she came forward, her history (is she trustworthy? has she made other claims that proved to be false?).

Our society doesn't operate on finders keepers.

Just a quick legal question, how can the person who claimed to lose the ticket, prove it was hers to claim a portion (or the entire) prize?  Would something like this even be possible in this case?  Even if it can be proved, can she be awarded anything since she lost it (are there laws on the books that thwart 'finders keepers?'

sign the back of the ticket as soon as you get it.. there is generally a place on those scratch off style games for that. You have to sign if you win more than $1200, because you have to claim tht as income.

It's finders-keepers.

She could have a f***in receipt for that s*** and not get it back

I'm with you on that one. Maybe if you hadn't been careless in the first place then you'd be millions of dollars richer. Time to go back to playing that number again for 30 years or so HAHAHAH

The police report is pretty compelling.. the way she picked the numbers. The officer even noted that she did not hesitate, and it was not published the time frame in which the ticket was bought. What the hell.. maybe she is telling the truth. :o

Too bad her past may bite her in the ass.

Call me crazy.. but I don't think that will matter. Big deal she's had a shady past. People tend to vote for happy endings. Right now... if I was on the jury and read that cops statement... I think I would believe her.