Alomar--HE GONE!

jasonxctf

ESPN.com news services

PHOENIX -- The Arizona Diamondbacks have agreed to a contract with 12-time All-Star second baseman Roberto Alomar, his agent confirmed Tuesday.

A team source told The Associated Press on Monday night that a deal was imminent.

Alomar, 35, has been working out in the Phoenix area for several weeks. Adding Alomar would cement an infield that includes Shea Hillenbrand at third, newly acquired Richie Sexson at first and Alex Cintron at shortstop.

The addition of Alomar would free Matt Kata -- a rookie last season -- to move into the utility role previously occupied by Craig Counsell, because Kata can play second, shortstop or third.

Alomar, entering his 17th big-league season, became a free agent when the Chicago White Sox declined to offer him arbitration.

Alomar had a disappointing stint with the New York Mets before being traded to Chicago on July 1.

Alomar earned $8 million in the final year of his contract last season, but reportedly was willing to take less from the financially strapped Diamondbacks, despite more lucrative offers elsewhere.

After two sub-par seasons, he would come to Arizona motivated to return to the form that he showed through most of a career that could land him in the Hall of Fame.

Alomar came to New York in an eight-player trade with Cleveland after batting .336 with 20 home runs and 100 RBI for the Indians in 2001.

A 10-time Gold Glove winner, he hit just .266 in 2002, matching a career-low he set in his rookie season in 1988. Alomar was batting just .262 when the trade to Chicago was made, and batted .253 for the White Sox.

Alomar began his major league career in San Diego, then played for Toronto, Baltimore, Cleveland, the Mets and the White Sox.

He would be the second significant acquisition by the Diamondbacks, who sent Counsell, Junior Spivey and four other players to Milwaukee for Sexson on Dec. 1.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Twelve-time All-Star Roberto Alomar agreed Tuesday to a $1 million, one-year contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

He only signed for a million and KW couldn't resign him, its a shame.

We offered him $1M up front and $1M deferred.......and we disrespected him....Robbie thought he could actually do better than that on the FA market; what a baby!

We offered him $1M up front and $1M deferred.......and we disrespected him....Robbie thought he could actually do better than that on the FA market; what a baby!

That makes me very angry. :angry: Even with his numbers from last year we would be better off with him over Willie.

Robbie signing with the D'Backs for 1 Million for 1 Year shows Kenny Williams knew what he was doing. Robbie can say all he want about us disrespecting him with a low ball offer, but in the end he got even less. Just goes to show you it is not about playing with your brother, or even in a clubhouse that you like... it is all about the money... and every player wants more than he is worth... Right Maggs! Too bad for Robbie, I wish him all the best with the D'Backs. I still don't think Willie will be our opening day 2nd Baseman.

Robbie might play a bit better than last season, but his days as a stud infielder are over. He has really dropped off as a right handed hitter. He's great on balls that he gets to, but his range is wayyy down. For a million, I guess he'd be OK, but I'd rather see Willie Harris get a chance to show if he can play or not.

Maybe and I guess we have to let Willie Harris show us what he's got. I just hope that the .250 or so Roberto may hit isn't still 100 points better than Willie. I am inclined to think Harris might break out this year so let's go Sox!

Since the eggs are in the Harris basket, we'd better HOPE he plays at least adequately.

I hope Ozzie has someone teach Willie how to bunt - 3 hours a day in ST would be a good start.

While I'd rather have Robbie than Harris, Robbie did start to slip late last year.

Still wish him well, there's no reason to be bitter towards him.

Since the eggs are in the Harris basket, we'd better HOPE he plays at least adequately.

I hope Ozzie has someone teach Willie how to bunt - 3 hours a day in ST would be a good start.

While I'd rather have Robbie than Harris, Robbie did start to slip late last year.

Still wish him well, there's no reason to be bitter towards him.

Who cares if Ozzie teaches him to bunt, is he going to bunt four times a game? Is he going to bunt to hit 300. The guy can't hit. Good bunter can hit, not just bunt. The opposition has to respect the bunt of a good hitter. If all this slug can do is bunt we are in trouble.

Who cares if Ozzie teaches him to bunt, is he going to bunt four times a game? Is he going to bunt to hit 300. The guy can't hit. Good bunter can hit, not just bunt. The opposition has to respect the bunt of a good hitter. If all this slug can do is bunt we are in trouble.

I don't mean to imply that all I want him to do is bunt, but it helps a player with a little speed to be able to drop one down once in a while.

Maybe you move the infielders in a step and a grounder finds a hole, or you change the infielder's positioning a little bit and that can work to his advantage.

Do I think he'll hit .300? No.

.275? No.

( I don't want to go down to where I'd answer "yes"... )

But adding to the repertoire can ONLY help.

I agree that the guy has to do more than bunt, but think about it this way.

If Willie gets 500 at bats and can get 125 hits, he'll average .250. If he can add only one bunt hit per week to that, his average will jump to .298. Just two bunt hits per month, instead of four would jump him to .274.

Don't know if Willie can do that, but bunt and infield hits can't be discounted. Add a few walks, hit him 9th in the order and he wouldn't kill us by any means.

I agree that the guy has to do more than bunt, but think about it this way.

If Willie gets 500 at bats and can get 125 hits, he'll average .250.  If he can add only one bunt hit per week to that, his average will jump to .298.  Just two bunt hits per month, instead of four would jump him to .274. 

Don't know if Willie can do that, but bunt and infield hits can't be discounted.  Add a few walks, hit him 9th in the order and he wouldn't kill us by any means.

Rex,

I think willie can hit 250 with the bunts. That's it, Hope he proves me wrong, but certianly would like better from a leadoff hitter. I will assume the sox will experiment with many players at the top of the order throughout the year, I can even see Rowand hitting there this year(not because I want him there)

Rex,

I think willie can hit 250 with the bunts. That's it, Hope he proves me wrong, but certianly would like better from a leadoff hitter. I will assume the sox will experiment with many players at the top of the order throughout the year, I can even see Rowand hitting there this year(not because I want him there)

I fear your are correct, but hope you are wrong. I hope he is adequate and think the Sox would be better served with him hitting in the nine hole.

Hopefully Willie with his so called HEART plays ok with us. I remember John Rooney saying Willie Harris is AAAA player, good enough for the minors but not good enough for the bigs. I havent seen him hit anything so I am not happy at all with him at 2nd base.

Hopefully Willie with his so called HEART plays ok with us. I remember John Rooney saying Willie Harris is AAAA player, good enough for the minors but not good enough for the bigs. I havent seen him hit anything so I am not happy at all with him at 2nd base.

AAAA players in the right spot can give you a solid year or two in the Majors. Many do, and end up back in AAA eventually, som become and succeed as role players and others never get the chance.

This helps my off season plan of driving my expectations as low as possible. Currently in my mind we are in 4th with the Tigers charging hard. By the time the season starts I want to expect a 100 loss season. That way if we get swept opening weekend, I won't be suicidal.

Holy smokes, all he got was a one year deal for $1M, with $350k of that deferred, without interest.

As was stated earlier in the thread, he could've gotten better here.

So the Sox apparantly did not miscalculate the market for this guy, and stuck with their practice of offering what they feel is a fair deal, and if the player doesn't like it, see ya.

OK ... so this happened with Alomar, Graffanino was supposedly hankering for a starters job and he settles for being KC's utility guy. Sullivan wanted some sort of guaranteed role, and he settles for being KC's 8th inning guy. Gordon says he wants to be a closer, and settles for the Yankees 8th inning job.

There is something strange going on. They wanted all these guys gone, it is not just because ownership is cheap. With Alomar for sure, they offered a better deal than he ended up getting, so they weren't cheap in his case. Maybe they were cheap on Sullivan and Graffanino, but no way would I have paid Gordon the kind of money he got from NY.

I really believe they wanted certain guys gone, no matter what their price was, high or low.

It is obvious there are two things at play ... one, there are guys the Sox didn't want here in '04. Two, certain guys did not want to be here in '04.

my take:

1. KW likes Willie Harris. He made the Singleton deal to acquire him and he wants to see if he can play. Guillen likes to run so he probably agreed to take a serious look at him. And JR likes Willie 'cause the price is right.

2. Flash priced himself way out of our budget. The Yankees (and maybe the Red Sox) who would be willing to pay an old, injury-prone guy $7 million to be a set up guy. That was a money deal.

3. My guess with Graff is that he just wanted to go elsewhere. Why KC, I dunno? He's from New York City and came up in the Braves' farm system. So I don't know the connection.

4. Sully is a guy who has thrown a ton of innings the last four years. No way the Sox were going to pay him $2-3 million to be a set up guy.

5. Bartolo was about the money.

6. Carl Everett also too expensive, especially when the Sox have cheaper alternatives in Rowand, Borchard and Reed.