Sox with a potential good bullpen

maggsmaggs

If-which is a big if-Koch is healthy and regains his fastball, the Sox will have a pretty good bullpen.

CL-Koch

SU-Marte

SU-Politte

Lefty Spec.-Wunsch

2 spots left, Any two of these guys

Wright

Diaz

Shoenweis (if he doesn't start)

Wing (probably too young)

Cotts (hopefully not, he needs to be in AAA for a year)

Rauch (could fit well as 5th in rotation or long relief)

Santiago (I like him here)

Jason Grilli (he could be very valuable)

Fransisco Campos (10-2 witu 2.12 or something ERA, longshot though)

Or even more Minor League Free Agents'

What do you guys think?

I just was saying the same thing in my other post on the signing of cliff. We have a chance to have one of the best bullpens in the central if we can all stay healthy and pitch up to potential. With minnesota losing eddie and latroy they really dont have anyone. Kc has sullivan and he is good but that is it. Macdougal was a one year wonder.

With the exception of Marte the entire bullpen is a huge question mark. I guess you could say we could have one of the best bullpens, then again you could also say we could have one of the worst bullpens, which puts us right where we are....unknown.

Quick, I'd personally say that we also have a dependable pitcher in Wunsch too. He will most likely have a good year as well.

The bullpen is a huge if. Marte and Wunsch are in and will probably have good years....we got that down. Then the ifs begin. IF Koch regains his 98 MPH heater, or even gets it up to 95-96 on a consistent basis, he becomes valuable(not $6 million valuable, but valuable none the less). IF Politte rebounds from his awful year last year(which I believe he will), we have a steal for only $800 K. IF Grilli can pitch well all year and can be a valuble relief pitcher, that is a great move. And IF our 6th man is decent, we have a very good bullpen, among the best in the league if everything above falls into place, and if I were managing a team that would be the first thing I would ask for. You'll get 50-70 quality starts a year from a mediocre rotation(which IMO we have). We'll probably have 30-50 decent starts. And then the rest will probably be days where the starter just did not have it and the defense made like two or three huge errors behind him, and the starter gives up 8-10 runs. In all of the situations above, a good bullpen will come in and hold the opposition 70-80% of the time very close to their score when entering(maybe giving up a run or two a game). We average 5 or 6 runs a game, and IMO, we win the division or atleast have a competitive team. However, there are a ton of things that have to fall into place for this to occur. On the bright side, all of them could fall into place. We'll just have to see how it shakes out.

Most bullpens don't carry three leftie relievers, so I would be surprised to see him make the name unless he drastically outperforms Wunsch, or Wunsch gets injured, or traded (I doubt that will happen, unless he's a throw in in a possible Konerko deal). Of course, if Marte is closing that would make it two lefty set-up men, which is what the Sox carried last year, so I guess it's possible.

If-which is a big if-Koch is healthy and regains his fastball, the Sox will have a pretty good bullpen.

CL-Koch

SU-Marte

SU-Politte

Lefty Spec.-Wunsch

Wright

Diaz

What do you guys think?

The pen could be good. Well hopefully with Politte its a reverse of what happened to Koch who was good and turned out to be awful. If Politte is healthy he can help us. But we still need starting pitchers?

by the way who is francisco campos?

CL-Koch

SU-Marte

SU-Politte

Lefty Spec.-Wunsch

Wright

Diaz

What do you guys think?

Rauch Maybe..

Campos?? LOL!!

Santiago? Blah!!

Grilli?? Not

Wing ? No way

Cotts? Nope

Wright ? Regretfully

That Pen is not very good :nono

The pen could be good. Well hopefully with Politte its a reverse of what happened to Koch who was good and turned out to be awful. If Politte is healthy he can help us. But we still need starting pitchers?

by the way who is francisco campos?

Campos was selected by the Sox in the minor league Rule V draft. He had a very impressive season in the Mexican league and did well in a playoff start matching Elmer Dessens of the Arizona Diamondbacks. It is possible that he'll get an invite to spring training by the Sox.

I really don't think there are many pitchers that can say they have never had some shoulder or arm problems in the past.  There were never any serious problems with his shoulder either.

Last Year Pollite was hurt. He admited it to the coaches after getting bombed in a few outtings. If his arm is ok than Good. But if not it's a typical Sox signing. ;)

hey guys..finally got my computer problems fixed so im back for good..or bad depending on your view of me :)

this is as good a post as any to jump back into the fray on i guess...my opinion of our bullpen is if billy botch is again the closer for 2004 i guess ill be checking out rex grossman at wherever the hell the bears are doing their summer camp this year instead of spending summer days at the cell...

the bullpen ended up a disaster (damaso marte withstanding) last year and looks weaker to me going in this year...batten down the hatches boys cause we are in for some rough times

hey guys..finally got my computer problems fixed so im back for good..or bad depending on your view of me :)

this is as good a post as any to jump back into the fray on i guess...my opinion of our bullpen is if billy botch is again the closer for 2004 i guess ill be checking out rex grossman at wherever the hell the bears are doing their summer camp this year instead of spending summer days at the cell...

the bullpen ended up a disaster (damaso marte withstanding) last year and looks weaker to me going in this year...batten down the hatches boys cause we are in for some rough times

Hey! Welcome back! :cheers

This is defenilty a team that I feel can be very suprising. I really do beleive we have the makeup to pull a Flordia Marlins story. We have just enough talent to sneek into the playoffs, and IMO, we have a few gamebreakers on the team, and this season alot of guys can step up. I think this year could be interesting.

Problem is the fact that the manager doesn't seem to be up to the task. If this team repeats 2000, it very well could be despite Guillen.

I don't worry about Ozzie's use of the pitching staff. If you think he'll be clueless, just remember who was pulling the strings for the past 6 years. That should brighten up your spirits immediately. :bang

As for the bullpen being full of a bunch of "ifs," unless you have a truckload of cash like the Yankees, Orioles, Red Sox, Cubs, etc., you're most likely going to have a bunch of "ifs" in your bullpen. There's just not enough quality pitching out there - unless you're willing to open the wallet and pay a handsome price for it.

If the Sox can just get ONE more quality starter, preferrably TWO, then my mind would be much more at ease. Plus, if the Sox have a quality starting rotation, the bullpen won't be relied upon as much anyways.