Radio Interview with Jose..

JoshPR

i remember jose having all kinds of trouble throwing from out there...he could find 2nd base from CF with compass and a roadmap...a SS arm doesnt always mean a good outfielder's arm...plus iirc , he hit like crap when he was in CF

He hits like crap at shortstop too :D

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the plan is right now, but here's the way it should be:

If Uribe and Valentin battle for the SS spot in ST.

The loser of that battle, competes with Harris for starting 2B.

Harris and/or Jose battle Rowand, Reed, Borchard and whoever for CF.

In each, the best man wins and the team is better. I don't want Ozzie to have any preconceived ideas about this until he sees who can do what.

This should only be a backup plan at best IF Rowand doesn't succeed at center. Still I'd rather hav Borchard or Reed playin center than Jose. And now you know Jose's overpaid when Rich Aurilla only gets 3.5 mill for 1 year from the Mariners. ;)

Let's just hope this is idle speculation. We don't need another tinkerer coming in and throwing people into roles they are not comfortable with or prepared to handle. Jose Valentin has done a very good job in improving at the SS position. Harris can play 2B and Rowand CF and need the oportunity to show what they have to help this team win. Uribe was supposed to be the super sub in the infield. If we start moving players around just to show how "not by the book" we are I think we will end up with a weakened defense and players struggling to perfrom to their potential. There have not ben many success stories when it comes to this position switching stuff and I can see a lot of problems developing. It is really amazing to me that the acquisition of one player, Uribe, suddenly requires a complete overhaul of our on-field line up. That's quite a move considering the fellow hits at or around the "dreaded Mendoza line."

Jose also filled in for Maggs in RF for a handful of games also, I do seem to remember, or do I suck again?

Can anybody PLEASE tell me what our reasons were for getting rid of Durham? It seems that once we let Ray go, 2nd became a problem position that has yet to be fixed. I know we are talking about SS mainly here, and that SS has been a problem since Ozzie left (how sad is that? now he's back to manage!), but with all of this Harris talk, I just would like to know why we left Ray go. I was confused then, even though Hawk praised him as a young Ray (I didn't know Ray was over the hill at the time), and I am even more confused now.

Jose also filled in for Maggs in RF for a handful of games also, I do seem to remember, or do I suck again?

Can anybody PLEASE tell me what our reasons were for getting rid of Durham? It seems that once we let Ray go, 2nd became a problem position that has yet to be fixed. I know we are talking about SS mainly here, and that SS has been a problem since Ozzie left (how sad is that? now he's back to manage!), but with all of this Harris talk, I just would like to know why we left Ray go. I was confused then, even though Hawk praised him as a young Ray (I didn't know Ray was over the hill at the time), and I am even more confused now.

Against my better judgement.. I'll give you my insight into the situation...

Ray was willing to take less money for more time. Kenny said "sure" knowing damn well that it was not in the future plan. Ray made a decision to have a home built based on that information and when it came to light that Ray was not going to get the years he wanted he let his dis-satisfaction with Kenny known. He was gone 2 weeks later.

Moving him to cf is a bad idea, it didn't seem to work the last time why try it again.

My memory says that Valentin had leg problems when he tried to play Center for us, and he blamed the problems on the different sort of running you do chasing fly balls as opposed to the sprinting you do at shortstop.

I would guess that if Jose moves to Center, he'll do a lot of platooning, with Rowand playing against all lefties. Doesn't matter, we're gonna suck anyway.

the usual suspects...cost cutting and KW's ego..

this ought to cheer you up (haha)..do you know how long it took to find a permanent replacement for nellie fox at 2nd base once he left the sox??...not til ray durham showed up..i researched it once and i think i counted 23 different starting 2nd baseman in that time frame (about 30 years)..the longest lasting about 3 years iirc...

the usual suspects...cost cutting and KW's ego..

this ought to cheer you up (haha)..do you know how long it took to find a permanent replacement for nellie fox at 2nd base once he left the sox??...not til ray durham showed up..i researched it once and i think i counted 23 different starting 2nd baseman in that time frame (about 30 years)..the longest lasting about 3 years iirc...

Scott Fletcher

Donnie Hill

Fred Manrique

Julio Cruz

Tony Bernazard

Jorge Orta

Joey Cora

Steve Sax

Tim Hullett

Don Buford

?????

Ray was willing to take less money for more time. Kenny said "sure" knowing damn well that it was not in the future plan. Ray made a decision to have a home built based on that information and when it came to light that Ray was not going to get the years he wanted he let his dis-satisfaction with Kenny known. He was gone 2 weeks later.

And what was this "future plan" and why wasn't Durham in it? Is it not possible that even with Durham's alleged willingness to take a discount for more time, that his salary demands were still too high for the Sox payroll to accommodate?

And what was this "future plan" and why wasn't Durham in it?  Is it not possible that even with Durham's alleged willingness to take a discount for more time, that his salary demands were still too high for the Sox payroll to accommodate?

No idea... Ask them I guess. :huh:

a-row is a very good center fielder,

valentin not, leave a-row in center he will have a huge year if he doesnt have to worry about getting benched, hes a the chance to be a great player, so i say let him play everyday

I dunno about a great player, but a damn good one if you asked me. I totally agree. Let him play. Too many freak accidents has happened to him. He's still young, and can get on base with average range. Go A-Row, Reed, and the sox :headbang

Scott Fletcher

Donnie Hill

Fred Manrique

Julio Cruz

Tony Bernazard

Jorge Orta

Joey Cora

Steve Sax

Tim Hullett

Don Buford

?????

here is the comp0lete list..from nellie to ray...be forewarned ...its a long one..

nellie fox 50-63

al weis 64

don buford 65

al weis 66

wayne causey 67

sandy alomar sr 68

bobby knoop 69-70

mike andrews 71-72

jorge orta 73-75

jack brohamer 76

jorge orta 77-78

alan bannister 79

jim morrison 80

tony bernazard 81-82

julio cruz 83-86

fred manrique 87-88

steve lyons 89

scott fletcher 90-91

steve sax 92

joey cora 93-94

ray durham 95-02

d'angelo jimenez 03

this doesnt take into account guys like robbie alomar that were here only for a few months or guys like will harris who have been on the roster for awhile but never played enough games in one season to be considered the main guy...i remember back when one of my all time favorites , jorge orta manned 2nd base...we ran numerous 2nd baseman in while he spent half the season at dh because while he was an excellent hitter his glove was..well not so good..

More evidence of a badly run business. Still, I can't quit being a Sox fan any more than I can change my ancestry. What's wrong with me?

Last night, as anyone who is awake at all knows, the Cubs went through one of their mysterious games. Their fans are in one degree or other of hysterical anguish. White Sox fans, though, real White Sox fans, just sniff. Jean Shepherd said years ago that if you had to go into combat, you wanted to have a White Sox fan by your side. White Sox fans expect failure and evil, are inured to hardship, and know that disaster and destruction lurk behind every turn in the road. White Sox fans know that their team begins the year lethargic and somnolent, like cranky bears, and wake up after the Fourth of July to flirt with first place before collapsing in September. Although the Cubs do the same thing, their fans are insanely optimistic, chanting their Wait till Next Year mantra, and never learning that next year never comes. White Sox fans know that next year always comes, and its always the same, and that even if the team should happen to be successful one year, that management will trade the best players for prospects over the winter, and the best pitcher will be gimp-armed in spring.

So good luck tonight, Cubs. Win for the sake of your emotionally volatile fans. Me, I'm going to a band concert.

source of above