Places to go near the ballpark

Guest JimH

At Lawrence Fisheries, get the Wing Zings and thank me later. They're just terrific. As for Franco's I went there before the All Star Game and had the best Gnocchi ever. But yes it's pricey.

If Gale Street Inn does move into the neighborhood, they'll be a worthy member of this club. Great ribs.

Also, I can recommend the Koshers at 333 W. 35th Street. Plus there's lots of room to sit.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No Ethiopian joints in Bridgeport??

Unfortunately, no. Several years ago, when we first moved to Bridgeport, I had a craving for some Indian food. I went into Shinnick's and asked if there was one within a five mile drive. The bartender (one of the younger Shinnick grandchildren) looked at me kind of funny and asked "Is that like Chinese food?"

Needless to say, I quickly learned how to do my own curries.

Good (really) cheap Chinese, from the Not In Chinatown Dept:

Wing Yip, 26th and Wallace. A few tables in there, lots of take out business. They have a couple of curry dishes on the menu Bridgeport Joe, if you haven't tried them, give it a shot. Not Ethiopian, but it's decent in there.

Also, across the street from Wing Yip is a sandwich/pizza take out place that keeps changing names ... it was Paulie's, now I think it's Punky's. We got some food to go last summer, ate it in the lot at the ballpark. Not bad at all. We had an Italian beef and a couple other things, put some hot giardiniera on there and you're all set.

They have a couple of curry dishes on the menu Bridgeport Joe, if you haven't tried them, give it a shot.

Unfortunately, Chinese and Thai curries bear little resemblance to Indian curries. Not that they're any worse (though I like Indian curries better)--they're just different.

As for Chinese food, a Chinese friend (as in she just came over from Beijing three years ago) turned me on to a place called Szechuan in Chinatown. Very, very spicy. But their rabbit and tofu dishes are excellent. I'd definitely give it a shot, but only if you like REALLY spicy food. Seriously, I cannot stress enough how spicy the food is.

Yea.. so? Big flippin deal..? Who do you think you are... some kind of big shot cause you know someone...??   :lol:  :D 

I'm sorry Mo.. I just had to.  ;)

lol, wow, and inside joke on the boards that i actually get!

The food at Szechuan is extremely good but you have to tell them to lighten up the spice or your tongue will implode, it is mighty spicy.

We've been going to King Wah, 2225 Wentworth, since the 60's. The food is terrific and if you like tropical drinks, order a King Wah Kiss. I dare you! :lol:

Oh, one other place: Ed's Potsticker House, on Halsted, about 32nd St. If you blink you'll miss it. GREAT hangover food (I don't get hangovers any more, but hey, so I'm told :lol: ). It's on the east side of the street, a few tables in there and it's quick. You can also get stuff to go and eat in the lot.

Not so sure how well potstickers go with beer though :P .

There's also a saloon called Triskillion's, which is a neighborhood joint and it's about 28th St., I think Wells but not certain. It fills up after the games too, especially on Friday nites.

Mario is right on with that statement.  That was some good stuff your mom made. :headbang  I've never had better pasta in my entire life.

lol, how many bowls did you eat, jas, 2-3?

I remember my mom asked you if you wanted more and there was like 1/8 of a second gap between the end of her question and your "yes", lol

yeah, that place is called Punky's, I have yet to eat there, but I hear the food is good.

Wing Yip is good too, I think I ate takeout from there a week or so ago.

Punky's used to be called Paulie's and before that it was Rosie's. They have huge Panzerottis there that are great. Basicaly a medium pizza folded over and baked. It is a challenge to eat the whole thing. They also have excellent cheeseburgers. The only drawback is the lady that works there that seems to be a huge cub fan. We ate there before one of the All Star game events and had to listen to her fawning about Wood and Prior when they were showing stuff on the news about the game. Many other times we have been in there she has had the cubs game on.

Wing Yip is good too, I think I ate takeout from there a week or so ago.

How do you like the owners daughter who works behind the counter?

You want to talk about a no-nonsense individual, wow, she is definitely the Alpha Dog of the family. She takes assertiveness to a whole new level.

That being said, she is extremely well put together, I saw her in there one time this summer and she's walking around in some cutoff jeans shorts and there's a table with two elderly Chinese guys ... and one of the guys is staring at her and his soup spills right down the front of his shirt!! And his friend just shakes his head in disgust, kinda like, "you're wasting the soup you idiot!!".

She's not a kid either, I would say about 30, jet black hair about 1/2 way down her back, very good looking.

If there were ever a woman I'd call "Sir" though, she'd be it.

Love the List Jim!

However, as an amateur Chicago Historian, I must take umbrage with your designation of Schaller's as the "oldest Saloon in Chicago." While many bars lay claim to this distinction, it is the Berghoff, originally opened as a beer garden in 1893, that holds Chicago Liquor License #1.

Moment of silence for the Hickory Pit?

Punky's used to be called Paulie's and before that it was Rosie's. They have huge Panzerottis there that are great. Basicaly a medium pizza folded over and baked. It is a challenge to eat the whole thing. They also have excellent cheeseburgers. The only drawback is the lady that works there that seems to be a huge cub fan. We ate there before one of the All Star game events and had to listen to her fawning about Wood and Prior when they were showing stuff on the news about the game. Many other times we have been in there she has had the cubs game on.

Part of our extended family owned it about 10-12 years ago, not sure if it was Rosie's then or not, or if it was just after Rosie's.

Rosie's Steaks was there for quite a while, they were just off the corner across from the barber shop, this is back in the 60's.

My dad tells me there used to be a gas station there, way back in the 30's and 40's which is why the lot immediately to the west of Punky's is open.

He says it was the social center of the universe, everybody caught up on all the goings-on there.

Love the List Jim!

However, as an amateur Chicago Historian, I must take umbrage with your designation of Schaller's as the "oldest Saloon in Chicago."  While many bars lay claim to this distinction, it is the Berghoff, originally opened as a beer garden in 1893, that holds Chicago Liquor License #1.

Moment of silence for the Hickory Pit?

Wayne ... I respect your historical knowledge, but no sir.

You may have it on a technicality, but Schaller's has been operating since 1881. In the same family too. Liquor license? Who needs a stinking liquor license? This is Bridgeport we're talkin' about.

History ... Schaller's parking lot, immediately north of the Schaller's building, is the former site of the Ambrosia Brewing Company, which operated until 1965. Whenever they resurface the parking lot, Mr. Shaller tells me, they have to be careful about a few spots where there's nothing underneath. That's where the big brew kettles used to be.

It's called Schaller's Pump because at one time, there was a big water pump right outside, on Halsted St. where the horse drawn wagons could stop and the horses get a drink. Other people say because the beer from Ambrosia was pumped directly into Schaller's.

Schaller's ... 1881.

John Barleycorn's on the north side ... 1890.

Berghoff ... 1893.

Schallers served booze during Prohibition too, but of course it was all wink-wink, nudge-nudge. Hence the peephole on the south wall.

The original Hickory Pit at 28th and Union, where the St. Joseph's Club stands now, is famous for a gangland murder in 1955, of Lou Greenburg, who owned the Canadian Ace brewery at 39th and Emerals (where the Stevens Exhibit bldg. is now). Canadian Ace was mob controlled and Greenburg was looking to get out, retire, etc. The mob doesn't let you retire and turn the books over to someone else ... so Greenburg and his wife were having dinner at the Hickory Pit in late 1955, he walks out and gets shot by two guys.

The murder, as one might expect, is still officially listed as unsolved.

One other to add, Healthy Foods on Halsted near 32nd. Good Lithuanian food. I remember going to that place when I was a kid, it has been there forever.

It has been there forever ... since 1938. Get there early, they close by 7:30. Try the beet soup, sounds bad, tastes good!

lol, how many bowls did you eat, jas, 2-3?

I remember my mom asked you if you wanted more and there was like 1/8 of a second gap between the end of her question and your "yes", lol

I think it was like 3 bowls :headbang. I got home and told my dad to just stop making pasta cause nothing could ever top what I just ate :lol:.

Wayne ... I respect your historical knowledge, but no sir.

You may have it on a technicality, but Schaller's has been operating since 1881. In the same family too.  Liquor license?  Who needs a stinking liquor license?  This is Bridgeport we're talkin' about.

History ... Schaller's parking lot, immediately north of the Schaller's building, is the former site of the Ambrosia Brewing Company, which operated until 1965.  Whenever they resurface the parking lot, Mr. Shaller tells me, they have to be careful about a few spots where there's nothing underneath.  That's where the big brew kettles used to be.

It's called Schaller's Pump because at one time, there was a big water pump right outside, on Halsted St. where the horse drawn wagons could stop and the horses get a drink.  Other people say because the beer from Ambrosia was pumped directly into Schaller's.

Schaller's ... 1881.

John Barleycorn's on the north side ... 1890.

Berghoff ... 1933.

Schallers served booze during Prohibition too, but of course it was all wink-wink, nudge-nudge.  Hence the peephole on the south wall.

The original Hickory Pit at 28th and Union, where the St. Joseph's Club stands now, is famous for a gangland murder in 1955, of Lou Greenburg, who owned the Canadian Ace brewery at 39th and Emerals (where the Stevens Exhibit bldg. is now).  Canadian Ace was mob controlled and Greenburg was looking to get out, retire, etc.  The mob doesn't let you retire and turn the books over to someone else ... so Greenburg and his wife were having dinner at the Hickory Pit in late 1955, he walks out and gets shot by two guys. 

The murder, as one might expect, is still officially listed as unsolved.

Jim -- Great stuff there on Schaller's and the Pit.

I have heard that Schaller's is the "unofficial" oldest pub, but I think there a few other places that can challenge them, and nobody seems to be able to prove who is right.(I think one is Glascott's, and some place in Canaryville another.) Brewing/bars in Chicago have a fascinating history, even for those who don't drink.

btw..one question...ethiopian food???..there is actually cusine from ethiopia??

Yes. It's actually delicious. Basically, it's mostly stews and stewed-type vegetables, with very distinct spices (not hot, but very complex). Then, it's served with these spongy tortilla things (called injera) that you use to pick up the food. They're slightly sour, like a combination of tortillas, pancakes, and a splach of vinegar. There typically will not be cutlery in the entire restaurant--you eat with your fingers and the injera.

Statement of the year, I couldn't agree with you more.

Shinnick's ... wow.  Jim Schaller used to tend bar there, lots of police, firemen, neighborhood folks in there.  Nice place and wow, it's gets hoppin' in there on certain nights.  Some very attractive younger women in there.

The Mexican place just west of 35th, next to Gordon Realty is I think called La Mexicana but I could be wrong.  It's very good though, I like the enchiladas but if I had a choice it'd be Tacos Erindera.

You are right about the Latvian connection at Pancho's, and I know EXACTLY the one you're talking about.  She is a stunner, takes her a while to warm up but my buddy and I had an off and on two hour chat with her one night when they weren't so busy.  She is direct from Latvia, been here about a year or so.

Ramova Grill ... chili.

I agree on Franco's, good food but definitely not a bargain.  O'Malley's, I just can't warm up to that place.  I think what they charge for a mediocre hot dog is over the top.

At that vacant corner at 35th and Halsted, there will be a new development with condos and retail, and the main tenant will be a Gale Street Inn restaurant.  That'll be a nice addition.

The Catchers Inn is another place I could never warm up to.  I've been in lots of saloons that need a good cleaning, but that place is on the wrong side of "dump".

What's really needed is a good sports bar kind of place ... a joint that serves pitchers of beer, bar food, nachos, etc.  and has a good beer selection.  I would even settle for a "chain" place.  In Arizona they have these places called Famous Sam's and it's a chain of sports bars.  That's what we need, one of those on the south side.  I'd rather an independent but I don't see that happening.

As long as I've been a Sox fan I really never knew bridgeport even having relatives who used to live there. ( an aunt on 36 & union, an uncle on 38 & Parnell). We were the blacksheep - we lived on the northside, but I've always been a Sox fan!

Last year a buddy of mine took me on a "Bridgeport" tour before a Sox game. We had dinner at Shaller's where I met the father (I think), had a beer at "the Hamburg Club" (he's a member) and had a couple of beers at Shinnocks after the game. Bridgeport is a very nice "secret" with down to earth people, maybe that's why I'm a Sox fan. Wish my relatives hadn't moved - I would have bought their house.

Thanks for the list of places, I'm sure I'll check some of them out this year.

Btw, the Gale Street Inn your talking about... is the same as the one in Jefferson Park. If so, I live right by it - it'll be a great place to go during the season.

Schaller's is where the old Chicago Cardinals football team guys used to hang out (before they moved to St. Louis and then Arizona). They often ran into Bears Hall of Fame linebacker George Connor, who was from the south side and had in fact grown up a Cardinal fan.

And then the "battles" would start up all over again! Talk about the Sox-Cubs rivalry, the Cardinals-Bears rivalry was just as fierce!

I had the pleasure of sitting next to Mr. Connor at lunch one day at Schaller's about 3 years ago, and he kindly regaled me with some GREAT stories about football, Schaller's, etc. He just died a coupld of months ago.

If you want a very good, inexpensive steak, have the butt steak at Schaller's. $8.95 and the damn thing is a big hunk of meat and like a poor man's filet mignon. You get some really good crispy fries too.

Glascott's on north Halsted is a great place, that's since Prohibition though. I don't know about the one in Canaryville, but I'd like to.

You get some really good crispy fries too.

How can you eat at Shaller's without having the hash browns???

Also, if you go on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, the prime rib is only $10, give or take a dollar.

The only down side about the place is that it usually is closed for food by 9:00, and given my work schedule, I'm usually unavailable for dinner until then.

Part of our extended family owned it about 10-12 years ago, not sure if it was Rosie's then or not, or if it was just after Rosie's.

Rosie's Steaks was there for quite a while, they were just off the corner across from the barber shop, this is back in the 60's.

My dad tells me there used to be a gas station there, way back in the 30's and 40's which is why the lot immediately to the west of Punky's is open.

He says it was the social center of the universe, everybody caught up on all the goings-on there.

it was Rosies, then Pantano's (at least they were the owners, I knew them too Steff, lol), then Paulies and now Punky's. at least I think it went in that order.

I think it was like 3 bowls  :headbang.  I got home and told my dad to just stop making pasta cause nothing could ever top what I just ate  :lol:.

have you ate pasta since?

remind me next time you come down to give you a jar or two of sauce.