Places to go near the ballpark

Guest JimH

Where do you go for a good hot dog?

O'Malley's, I don't like.

The steam cart guy at 37th St. near the parking lots, those are good.

I like Johnny O's at 35th and Morgan.

The ones at Maxwell St. Depot are ok.

Other than that, the ones inside the park are overpriced but GREAT.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it was Rosies, then Pantano's (at least they were the owners, I knew them too Steff, lol), then Paulies and now Punky's.  at least I think it went in that order.

This was when Stephanie Bedalow used to own it, her mom still lives around there. She owned it for about two years, and her mom (Beattie) used to make the breaded steak sandwiches.

I've stopped eating hot dogs a while ago, but all those places are good for one. Tommy Burns used to be a popular one, he passed away a few years ago.

the last hot dog I ate came from Best Kosher on Pershing and Morgan.

have you ate pasta since?

remind me next time you come down to give you a jar or two of sauce.

Nice...I've eaten it, but its just not the same anymore. Still good stuff though, just pales in comparison to your moms :D

Nice I'm really stoked...Family Guy DVD and Pasta Sauce :headbang :cheers

The Parthenon is our tradition. Great Greak food.

The best. 1/2 order of gyros, grilled octopus, rotisserie lamb, and baklava for dessert. We had my aunt's 90th birthday party there last year. My dad had his wedding reception there too. One of the best places in Chicago.

I like how they answer the phone ... "Par-te-non".

Great call on Lawrence's. One of the places I really miss.

As far as dogs, I like fat Johnnie's teh best and it's on teh way home from the park for my family. But near the park, we always get a couple from the stand right at Armor Square Park on the way from Jimbo's to the park. I think 3 bucks gets you a loaded Vienna Beef (I prefer David Berg) dog and an RC.

• 10 years later...

I didn't realize Tacos Erendira has been there that long. I go there regularly. Pretty solid option.

Pretty sure Chicago Shrimp House is gone. Too bad, loved that place. Lawrence is a good alternative.

One of my other usuals is Maxwell Street Depot on 31st. It's just a stand, but it's cheap, quick and decent.

Reading this stupid thread is making me want a Ricobene's breaded steak now. :angry:

Many "new" amazing places in Bridgeport.

I prefer Tacqueria San Jose to Erendira, same side of the street not even a block away. Great green salsa.

Martinez Grocery - grocery store but head to the back for some of the best tacos, tortas, burritos in the city. Amazing stuff

Pleasant House - different, amazing pot pies but also have specials every night like a fish fry, burger night, etc.

Nana - my favorite brunch in the city, great food all around

Polo Cafe - divey, strange hours, great food

Han 202 - "upscale" Chinese, offers a 5 course menu, BYOB. Had a great meal there.

Zaytune - awesome middle eastern food, not a "buffet-style" but comparable in pricing and quality to a Chipotle

South Kawa - solid sushi

A couple of places I've heard good things about but haven't been

Chef AJ's

and

Kathy De's

Many people go to the Maxwell on 31st and Canal, but I prefer driving up north a bit and head to the Jim's Original in University Village.

Lawrence Fisheries on Cermak and Canal has great fried seafood, and opens pretty late.

If you want to take the kids to ice cream, Sugar Shack on 26th and Lowe's is an excellent spot.

For a good sit down place, Oliver's Cafe on 31st and Canal opened not too long ago, and it's definitely worth a visit.