NCAA hoops thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

props to illinois...dont get to happy over this one though you got wisconson next although they did lose to northwestern the other day.

Illinois lost to NU too. The funny thing is that the top 2 teams in the Big Ten (record wise) have both lost to Northwestern! :headbang

I cant believe that UNC-Georgia Tech Score. After UNC almost upset duke and after Duke killed Georgia Tech, you would of thought that this game was going to be dominated by the Tar Heels. Once again this goes to show how tough the ACC is.

The ACC is going to own in the tourney. It won't even be funny. These teams are tough and tested. Watch out country.

I cant believe that UNC-Georgia Tech Score. After UNC almost upset duke and after Duke killed Georgia Tech, you would of thought that this game was going to be dominated by the Tar Heels. Once again this goes to show how tough the ACC is.

It's a final.....#14 Georgia Tech gets the win over #15 UNC, 88-77......

UNC falls to 14-6 overall (4-6 in the ACC) :o

The ACC is going to own in the tourney. It won't even be funny. These teams are tough and tested. Watch out country.

The tourney will be as it is every year, very even, with a few surprises....

No one conference has dominated in any year since the 80's. I wouldn't even be surprised if the Big Ten had a final four representative, even though it's a down year. It's just the nature of the tourney.

Serious question, right now how many Big 10 teams are deserving of a NCAA tourney bid?

I can only see two. Wisconsin and Illinois and possibly Purdue but they have been hurt bad by injuries recently. And before all the MSU backers go off on me, tell me what MSU has done to make the tourney. Don't give me that crap that we played a tough schedule, because you didn't win a single one of those tough games. MSU does not have a single quality win on their resume right now and only they have going for them is that they played a tough schedule. They still have time to build up the resume but they have a lot of work to do.

Regardless, the big 10 will get 4 guaranteed, and most likely 5. Purdue is getting Lowe back this week, and Mich St will be fine, as they have very nice schedule, with lots of games at the Breslin coming up. They'll get in like you said, because of their schedule. Dont forget, they can make noise in the big 10 tourney as well.

But, I see Purdue making it as well, along with Mich St, because they had some great wins to start the year, especially the win over Duke. They just need to finish strong, so the committe forgets about Booker's injury. I think the 5th could still be Indiana, although, they can only afford one more loss on the way out, and win 2 at the big 10 tourney, which is in Indianapolis to represent the 5th team for the Big 10.

Serious question, right now how many Big 10 teams are deserving of a NCAA tourney bid?

I can only see two.  Wisconsin and Illinois and possibly Purdue but they have been hurt bad by injuries recently.  And before all the MSU backers go off on me, tell me what MSU has done to make the tourney.  Don't give me that crap that we played a tough schedule, because you didn't win a single one of those tough games.  MSU does not have a single quality win on their resume right now and only they have going for them is that they played a tough schedule.  They still have time to build up the resume but they have a lot of work to do.

I do not agree. I think Wisconsin and Purdue are the only ones who deserve a bid as of right now. You say what has State done, well what has Illinois done? NOT A SINGLE QUALITY WIN FOR ILLINOIS, unless you count State as a quality team (which you clearly do not). Loss to N'Western too. Purdue beat you guys, they are a better team IMHO Your only hard games were UNC, Providence, Purdue, Wisconsin, and State. State is still tied with Illinois in the Big Ten schedule.

Loses:

State:

Kansas

Duke

Syracuse

Kentucky

Oklahoma

UCLA

Wisconsin

Purdue

Illinois

Illinois:

UNC

Providence

Purdue

N'Western

Wisconsin

Look who each have beaten:

State: Illinois:

Bucknell Western Illinois

Penn Mercer

DePaul Temple

South Florida Arkansas

Coppin State MD Eastern Shore

PSU Memphis

Michigan Mizzou

N'Western UIC

Minnesota Illinois State

IU Ohio State

Iowa Iowa

Ohio State PSU

Illinois also has beaten Michigan, IU, Minnesota, and State

Both teams will be in the tournament. U of I is a tough place to play, as is Breslin. Illinois impressed me yesterday, but they are treading in the same water as State. No doubt in my mind that Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, State, and a fifth team make the NCAA Tournament.

I do not agree. I think Wisconsin and Purdue are the only ones who deserve a bid as of right now. You say what has State done, well what has Illinois done? NOT A SINGLE QUALITY WIN FOR ILLINOIS, unless you count State as a quality team (which you clearly do not). Loss to N'Western too. Purdue beat you guys, they are a better team IMHO Your only hard games were UNC, Providence, Purdue, Wisconsin, and State. State is still tied with Illinois in the Big Ten schedule.

Loses:

State:                         

Kansas                   

Duke                         

Syracuse                 

Kentucky                   

Oklahoma               

UCLA

Wisconsin

Purdue

Illinois

Illinois:

UNC

Providence

Purdue

N'Western

Wisconsin

Look who each have beaten:

State:                          Illinois:

Bucknell                      Western Illinois

Penn                        Mercer

DePaul                        Temple

South Florida            Arkansas

Coppin State            MD Eastern Shore

PSU                            Memphis

Michigan                      Mizzou

N'Western                UIC

Minnesota                    Illinois State

IU                            Ohio State

Iowa                        Iowa

Ohio State                PSU

Illinois also has beaten Michigan, IU, Minnesota, and State

Both teams will be in the tournament. U of I is a tough place to play, as is Breslin. Illinois impressed me yesterday, but they are treading in the same water as State. No doubt in my mind that Wisconsin, Purdue, Illinois, State, and a fifth team make the NCAA Tournament.

Alright first of all, Memphis is a quality win for Illinois. They are top 30 in the RPI, have a win over Lousiville, and will soon be ranked in the top 25. UIC was not a bad win as they may be a tourney team. Missouri is turning out to not be a big win but we did beat a team in the top 70 RPI without Deron Williams. MSU's only decent nonconference win was Depaul who is a solid team. You bring up our loss to Northwester, how about MSU's loss to UCLA who is not a good team this year and are only 1 game over .500. As for Purdue, I think they are a good team, and like I said I had them down as a possibility, the only reason I didn't say they were a lock (really no one in the Big 10 except for Wisky is a lock at this point but Purdue without the injuries and Illinois would be very close) because of the injuries resulting in them losing 3 out of 4 including a home loss to Ohio State. MSU has 3 regular season chances for quality wins left, @ Michigan, and home vs. Purdue and Wisky. If they don't win at least two of those games they have no business being in the tourney. And obviously they would also have the Big 10 tourney to make some noise as well.

Alright first of all, Memphis is a quality win for Illinois.  They are top 30 in the RPI, have a win over Lousiville, and will soon be ranked in the top 25.  UIC was not a bad win as they may be a tourney team.  Missouri is turning out to not be a big win but we did beat a team in the top 70 RPI without Deron Williams.  MSU's only decent nonconference win was Depaul who is a solid team.  You bring up our loss to Northwester, how about MSU's loss to UCLA who is not a good team this year and are only 1 game over .500.  As for Purdue, I think they are a good team, and like I said I had them down as a possibility, the only reason I didn't say they were a lock (really no one in the Big 10 except for Wisky is a lock at this point but Purdue without the injuries and Illinois would be very close) because of the injuries resulting in them losing 3 out of 4 including a home loss to Ohio State.  MSU has 3 regular season chances for quality wins left, @ Michigan, and home vs. Purdue and Wisky.  If they don't win at least two of those games they have no business being in the tourney.  And obviously they would also have the Big 10 tourney to make some noise as well.

So State does have a quality win then, well, atleast one in your book...ie Michigan.

Borderline yes.  Michigan is a decent victory but the reason I included the second Michigan game is because it is a lot harder to win on the road and that would be a quality road win.

There is no doubt we need to beat both Wisconsin and Purdue, aswell as the rest of our schedule to insure we are in. The one thing people are forgetting, is that this team is good enough to make a run through the Big Ten tournament. There are four teams all pretty even towards the top, and a few teams just underneath them. I honestly think people are taking the Big Ten too lightly.

There is no doubt we need to beat both Wisconsin and Purdue, aswell as the rest of our schedule to insure we are in. The one thing people are forgetting, is that this team is good enough to make a run through the Big Ten tournament. There are four teams all pretty even towards the top, and a few teams just underneath them. I honestly think people are taking the Big Ten too lightly.

I mentioned that MSU could make some noise in the Big 10 tourney and I said if they take care of business they are a tourney team. But right now they aren't. As for the Big 10 being taken to lightly its because the conference got its ass kicked in non conference play. There were very few marquee wins for the conference and a lot of losses to top competition, that is why the Big 10 doesn't get any respect.

I agree the big ten isnt taken as seriously but who could blame them. There is only like three good teams in the divisionWisconson, Illinois and Purdue. Indiana could pose as a threat on a good day

:o Forgot two teams, both MI squads. Everyone is so down on State losing to UI last night, but State did the same thing to IU that UI did to State...ie State BLEWOUT IU. Michigan is very underrated too.

I mentioned that MSU could make some noise in the Big 10 tourney and I said if they take care of business they are a tourney team.  But right now they aren't.  As for the Big 10 being taken to lightly its because the conference got its ass kicked in non conference play.  There were very few marquee wins for the conference and a lot of losses to top competition, that is why the Big 10 doesn't get any respect.

They had been taking care of business since Ager hit that three pointer to force OT vs Minnesota. They didn't come to play last night. The same thing happen last year, and we got to the Elite 8, so I am not worried. If they drop another game, I will ponder worrying, but not yet.

:o Forgot two teams, both MI squads. Everyone is so down on State losing to UI last night, but State did the same thing to IU that UI did to State...ie State BLEWOUT IU.  Michigan is very underrated too.

Steve boy, take off the glasses because it is blinding you from reality again. MSU did NOT blowout IU. MSU won by 12, were down by 1 at the half, and it was relatively close until about 5 minutes left. Illinois did blowout MSU. Illinois won by 24, were up by 15 at half, and the game was never close. I am sorry but even your bias opinion can't compare the MSU-IU game to the MSU-UI game. MSU has helped their cause of late, and went from out of the Tourny(about 6-7 games ago), to one of the last teams in right now(IMO), but MSU still has a tough schedule and getting a quality win or two would really help.

IU finally breaks the 3 game skid...We're back to 6-4 in the Big Ten w/ the 75-56 win over Penn State. IU finally played two good halves of basketball, and that was the key to tonight's game. We had 11 three pointers, 8 in the first half. The big difference in the game was the points off turnovers; we had 27 points to Penn State's 0.

We still had trouble blocking people inside. I give a lot of credit to Penn State's big guy though. Aaron Johnson had 28 points and 15 boards; he had a night he'll never forget.