NCAA hoops thread

Ha...Got to love the brackets.  Do you guys have a SoxTalk bracket that is set up in March?  If not, that definitely needs to happen this year.

I don't remember if they did something or not, but I know they have bracket pools on Yahoo we can all do. I always have a blast during the NCAA's.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We definitely need to do one on Yahoo or something this March, I'm sure there would be plenty of interest.  I love those things.  I get involved in so many pools online and at school.  I seriously lose track on what I do, because I never fill each one out the exact same way.

I'm usually in around 5 or so pools, but i only have one bracket. You gotta know who to root for man.

I really think that Chris Thomas of ND is one of the most overrated players in the college game. He isn't a good shooter, and more importantly his shot selection is awful. I don't know if I have ever seen one player throw up so many horrible looking shots, and its not as if he makes them on a consistant basis. I also think he is selfish and not a great team player. He would rather take a terrible contested shot instead of dishing it to a player with a better shot. He turns the ball over way too much. He is also very suspect on defense. I really think he is extremely overrated, has no future in the NBA, and I might even argue that ND would be better off without him. He does as much harm as good.

ps He has airballed 3 shots today. I didn't think that was possible for a D1 guard.

I'm trying to watch as many teams as possible before the NCAA's.  I have tourney money to win :ph34r:

I hear that man. My biggest advantage is that I watch almost all of the conference tournament finals so I get a better feel of the possible upsets. I always do well in the 1st round, but falter after that. I'm overdue for a good year the whole way through.

Well, so far this game has been quite sloppy, but Illinois is holding on to a 6 point lead. Jack Ingram is showing why he deserves more playing time, did you guys see the 2 blocks he got and then on a loose ball he dove to the floor and slid on his knees(ouch, thats gotta hurt) making a nice screeching noise.

Ingram... college's best kept secret ! ;)

Go Illini!

Illinois comes away with an ugly road win.  The refs sure tried their hardest to keep Penn St. in that game down the stretch though.

Yes they were, I cant believe how many hand check fouls there were. And the one time that Richard McBride scores, he gets called for the charge. So the points offset just offset themselves. Big road game coming up against Iowa, Carver Hawkeye Arena usually gives us a lot of trouble.

DEE BROWN IS THE MAN!

Go illini!

As a Hoosier fan all I can say is WOW. I have been seriously following IU for almost 15 years now, and I can say that this is the most pathetic excuse of a team that I have seen at IU. With each passing day Davis moves closer to the unemployment line. 4 home loses in a row, including the last 2 to the bottom feeders of the Big 10 is simple unacceptable and someone is going down for it. IU alum and boosters aren't going to stand for this. I seriously doubt that Davis will be coaching IU after next year.

I'm staying up to watch SIU vs. Hawai'i and I'm enjoying this game. Both teams are surprisingly good. I've seen SIU a couple times before this year and they looked good, but not great. Their D is so tough that they could be a major force against some top teams. On the other hand Hawai'i is a good team. They have come into SIU with a great atmosphere and have played with them every step of the way. This is quality basketball. :headbang

Lol, we might be back to only 1 team ranked in the big 10.... I figure Wisconsin should drop around somewhere between 21-25 though, but Illinois will be there too, so maybe the big 10 can finally have 2 again. Yippee! :rolleyes:

Way to go Wolverines, hopefully now they can beat the Spartans on Tuesday.

And Saturday afternoon is a perfect example of the heartaches that come along with playing freshmen in a conference like the SEC. The boys had Wednesday night off, and played Saturday at Arkansas. And played like s***. Their only lead was 1-0. This kind of thing will, and has, give Coaches and fans ulcers thinking about what should have been. Now games against Georgia, Tennessee, Florida and Kentucky remain, and I can't see them doing better than 2-2 with that schedule left.

And Saturday afternoon is a perfect example of the heartaches that come along with playing freshmen in a conference like the SEC. The boys had Wednesday night off, and played Saturday at Arkansas. And played like s***. Their only lead was 1-0. This kind of thing will, and has, give Coaches and fans ulcers thinking about what should have been. Now games against Georgia, Tennessee, Florida and Kentucky remain, and I can't see them doing better than 2-2 with that schedule left.

Im stunned that Arkansas has won any game in the SEC let alone beating SC. When they played Illinois at the UC, they looked like a junior college squad. That was one of the worst games I have ever attended as far as excitement goes. I guess i was expecting more out of them... but maybe they are stepping up their play.

Woo Hoo!

Illinois is a #4 seed in the latest Bracketology on ESPN. This nice stretch the last 3 weeks has really paid off, and now we can start thinking about the Big 10 league title and a great seed in the tourney. Now if we can just take care of the Hawkeyes! Michigan is now projected in the dance, which gives the Big 10 5 teams. Tomorrows Mich/Mich St. is going to be huge in deciding the Wolverines fate, they have to win this game.

Lunardi has this to say about Illinois:

The Illini are now my favorite Final Four dark horse. This is otherwise known as the kiss of death. If they can stay healthy, though ...

Go Illlini!