NCAA hoops thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stop saying that. We got the point. When they win the Big Ten tourney you will be gloating.

I have to gloat while I still can :lol: I am sure they will be choking soon.

Actually it sounds like they will be really good next year. Mychael Thompson will be coming back home from Duke, and they also have a big recruit from Europe coming in.

Actually it sounds like they will be really good next year.  Mychael Thompson will be coming back home from Duke, and they also have a big recruit from Europe coming in.

Yeah. While they will lose Jitim Young, who in my mind is at least 2nd team all Big Ten if not 1st team, they will get some good talent coming in. They have 3 recruits, all guards, which will add depth. Thompson and Tim Doyle (St. John's transfer) will add depth up front. I haven't heard of this European guy, but look out for NU next year. I doubt the critics will give them credit early, but the team will earn their respect.

NW up 55-51 w/ 1:04 to go....We might as well be playing this game in Bloomington. The score would be the same. All of our games of late have been in reach at the end of the game, but lack of experience or what have you has done something to us in these last couple minutes to where we can't close the deal. I'll say 1:04 in advance, congrats Danman...

Zona sucks this year. Frye scores 25 points. I maintain my statement that Arizona doesn't have good guard play this year.

I still say Frye is Brians Cook's long lost brother. They have exactly the same games. Arizona does suck, I hope Washington can beat Stanford whenever they play, they've got the potential to do it.

Zona lost again tonight 89-84 to Washington.  Salim Stoudamire has been suspended for behavior detrimental to the team.  Whitesox61382 (you are in Arizona correct) do you know what violations he was suspended for and how long he is going to be out?  Without him they don't belong in the tourney.

I am not sure. It happened recently so there wasn't much info available, and the basketball team tries to keep everything in house. I didn't hear about it till game time. I talked to one of my friends and they said it was indefinately, however, I have a feeling that he will be back sooner rather than later(unless it is something really serious).

danman, will you please watch an Arizona game before you make statements about the guards. I will repeat that Arizona's problem is their frontcourt and not their backcourt. Arizona actually has one of the deeper backcourts in the country.

Stoudamire - One of the best pure shooters in the game. Averaging 16.8 PPG and 2.9 assists. He is shooting .469 FG%(pretty good for a SG), .777 FT%(he made close to 90% last year), and .438 3PT%(one of the tops in the country).

Shakur - He is probably the 2nd best freshman PG in college basketball(to Paul of WF). He is averaging 9.4 PPG and 4.3 assists. He is shooting .526 FG%(amazing for a guard), .818 FT%(one of the better FT% in the Pac 10), and .390 3PT%(above average for a college guard).

Rodgers - Is the best defensive player on the team, which isn't necessarily saying much. He is averaging 9.1 PPG and 2.2 assists. He is shooting .413 FG%(which isn't great), .852 FT%(one of the better FT shooters in the country), and .417 3PT%(which is well above average).

Adams - Is a natural SG/wing player, but is being forced to play PF because of the lack of depth/talent up front(which is their major problem). He is averaging 16.8 PPG and 1.6 assists(plus 7.2 rebounds, 1.4 steals, and 1.6 blocks). He is shooting .542 FG%(which is unheard of), .692 FT%(around average), and .393 3PT%(which is above average)

You can also make the arguement that Iguodala is a SG/wing player, although with the lack of depth up front he is forced to play SF/PF. The point is that Arizona has a very talented backcourt. If this isn't the definition of a good backcourt, than please show me what a good backcourt is? Like I have said many times, their problem is up front. Frye is their only proven big man, and he has a tendancy to get in foul trouble at times, which really hurts. Like I said above, they are forced to play Adams and Iguodala in the front court because of this lack of depth. There only semi-reliable big man of the bench is Radenovic, but he is extremely inconsistant and is more of a typical European perimeter player. Please watch Arizona play before you start making statements that simple are not true. Arizona's lack of frontcourt talent/depth and suspect D are there 2 major problems.

Valpo doesn't have a chance...

I never said they had a chance, but a man can dream can't he. They lost by like 35, but that's not terrible considering it was at Duke and Duke has cought fire again. It was a great experience for the team and they should be prepared to face a 1 or 2 seed in the tournament. (by prepared I mean lose by a respectable amount)

They lost by like 35, but that's not terrible

Lol... i dont think i've ever seen that happen... Lose by 35 but thats not terrible? If they lost by 50, would that be bad then?

Regardless, playing at Cameron Indoor is extremely hard, but still, 35 points is still a beatdown of mass proportions.

Yadda yadda, bulls***. Zona sucks, as do their guards. Let's put it this way. The assist/turnover ratio of the guards is 1.26 to 1 and it's 1.29 to 1 for the frontcourt. Think about it, that's a category that guards are supposed to thrive in, yet the frontcourt has a better ratio. I just don't see the guards on Arizona doing anything special. I suppose the lack of depth up front is a problem, but their guards aren't making up for it. They don't have a pure PG type that has a good assist/to ratio. They need someone who can lead the offense. If Shakur is your PG how come he only had 1 assist against Washington?