Apparently the White Sox signed Robert Person

maggsmaggs

They will need Esteban Loaiza to repeat his 21-win season, Robert Person to come back from elbow reconstruction and lefty Scott Schoeneweis to make the transition from reliever to starter.

Here's the link to the entire article about the Sox

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al...13-albeat_x.htm

Here's Person's career stats

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?statsId=5538

Not a great pickup if it's true. Although I haven't anything about it till reading it in this article. Career numbers aren't great and he just had elbow surgery, dunno if it's true though. Kenny is hoping lighting strikes twice to get another Loiaza. What's your guy's opinion?

If he has been signed, and stays healthy, I would say that 10 wins from him would not be out of the question.

I doubt that he puts up Loaiza numbers, but we will get a better picture in ST. It says that he is trying to learn how to pitch, maybe Cooper will be able to turn him around if he is willing to listen.

SB

If Person is signed, book it that they will look to him to be a reliever. When healthy, he can be pretty good. He's always had a good arm and good stuff. The question is can he put it together and thats a big if.

Not a bad move, I'm assuming its to a minor league deal.

If Person is signed, book it that they will look to him to be a reliever.  When healthy, he can be pretty good.  He's always had a good arm and good stuff.  The question is can he put it together and thats a big if.

Not a bad move, I'm assuming its to a minor league deal.

It would have to be a similar package that Loz and Gil Heridia got last season. I see the White Sox making one, or a few, more deals where we bring in similar guys. Person has won 15 before, but hasn't been a starter in a while and I do not see him going back to being able to pitch 100 innings (200 is out of the question). Health is a huge factor here. He has been around for sometime it seems, but is only in his mid 30's too.

It is true, they signed him to a minor league deal and it was announced this afternoon.

Good depth signing, this guy won 15 games once and who knows, he could be healthy and ready to go.

Every team looks for these bargain basement signings, there's not a thing wrong with it.

You'd just like some top shelf signings along with the bargain basement ones! :lol:

ya, my dad just said he heard on espn radio that the sox have signed person to a minor league deal. hopefully he will become a good arm out of the pen and possiby the rotation depending on how he does in st.

I think him being in the starting rotation is out of the question. He has pitched 90 innings the last two seasons, made 16 starts two seasons ago (none last year). He pitched 173 and 208 innings the seasons before that. I realistically think the best we could hope for is what Flash did a few seasons ago for the Cubs (come back after a while and resurrect his career).

Another low risk high reward type of situation here. If healthy, Person could be quite handy out of da pen, although I wonder what this will do to Dan Wright if Person does indeed make it with us?

Right now I see DW as our fourth/fifth starter. Schowenwies and DW will be in the rotation, unless we have Cotts or another reliever (or a FA) fill a spot. Our bullpen has a ton of holes right now too.

I like this signing. I wish we would sign a couple more guys to minor league deals like this. Person has always been a solid arm, especially a few years ago. I just like it that KW brought in a pitcher with Major League experience to battle with Wright, Cotts, etc. for that 5 spot or long relief.

I like this signing. I wish we would sign a couple more guys to minor league deals like this.  Person has always been a solid arm, especially a few years ago.  I just like it that KW brought in a pitcher with Major League experience to battle with Wright, Cotts, etc. for that 5 spot or long relief.

Anyone know who Mike Jackson is? He was signed the same day as Jose Santiago.

Jackson used to be pretty good, his stats with Minn. represent this.

I expect the Sox are hoping he will be a cheaper version Flash, a guy who if given the chance to pitch an inning and not over worked can still pitch 1 good inning.

If he is anything like his former self he could be good.

The bad news is, all of our signings are prefaced with "if".

But oh well, atleast its something.

SB