Bush in Outer Space

bigred3535

Alright, I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I'd like to know what everyone's thoughts on the Bush plan for a moon base and a manned mission to Mars are:

http://g.msn.com/0US!s5.31472_315529/16.a3990/2??cm=Main

Personally, I think we finally have definitive proof that Bush is thinking on a third graders level. There is nothing useful to be learned from putting a man on the moon again, and it's rather ridiculous and pointless to build a "moon base." In addition, while going to Mars may have been a dream of every 8-year old boy, once again it is a useless waste of money to send someone there at this point. Scientists really won't learn much more about Mars than from the samples that robots have brought back. I definitely am not in favor of this plan, and I think it is more a public relations ploy than anything else.

I heard on the radio that this recent Space Race speech is Bush's attempt to avoid the fate of his father a decade ago. Bush Sr. was labelled by many as lacking vision and long-term goals. To this end, it seems like W. has gone to the extremes and looked to historical examples of presidents with long-term vision. What better way for him to attempt to distinguish himself than to plan out the next decade and beyond of the United States space program.