Take this finger...

rafacosta

My country wasnt needing help at the time the coup happened and they come and dig us in to a deep hole.

We will be invaded? I dont think so if it happens it would your country that would do it, they have a history of doing that. When you start a war with crazy that your country has nothing to do, you are in danger to happen what happened.

For your information, we have a big problem in here. People that dont have nothing to eat. My government at least is worried with ending the poverty in the world, but your government just thinks in get more and more rich ta the same others are fighting for a bread to eat.

We send more in humanitarian aid around the world than any other country. I for one think it is sick that we have children going to bed hungary when we are sending humanitarian aid to otehr countries. I also think it is wrong that we will send aid to people in Brazil as long as they stay in Brazil. Sneak in here and we will let you starve. Bad policy IMHO.

Brazil to US: Send Money Here is an interesting story.

I do not think we will be invading anytime soon. Unless we are spreading the pesticides which are illegal in the US on your crops to help win the war on drugs.

Hunger is a problem the world over and no one knows is more than the US farmer who is asked to feed the world on pennies a day. Do you realize how many tons of grain we give away daily around the world?

I did not mean to imply you wanted us to help with the coup. I meant to imply that we do it all the time, and with terrible results. Sorry, we thought it would help and it gave our military someone to shoot at.

And finally if so many of your people are hungary, why would you discourage tourism? It brings money into the country. Even if 50% goes to hookers and drug dealers, they have to buy food, cars, and clothing. That money helps pay legitimate salaries to the hotel, store, and other workers.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, it must be the off season, this thread just cracked the Soxtalk top 40 longest thread. Brazil? Who would have thought?

Yeah, imagine that. Raffy why dont you go camping in the rainforest or something. Nobody here gives a f*** if an airline pilot flipped off a cop down there.

Yeah, imagine that.  Raffy why dont you go camping in the rainforest or something.  Nobody here gives a f*** if an airline pilot flipped off a cop down there.

Nuke,

How much ammo would it take to take over Brazil? I figure a month and under $10,000,000 and we have a cool vacation spot where you can flip off cops.

Why do we take over a f***ing desert that no one wants to go when we could take over a large South American country with hookers and beaches?

Nuke,

How much ammo would it take to take over Brazil? I figure a month and under $10,000,000 and we have a cool vacation spot where you can flip off cops.

Why do we take over a f***ing desert that no one wants to go when we could take over a large South American country with hookers and beaches?

What are you talking about? Iraq is a wonderful vacation spot!!! Warm sun, plenty of beach (its just a little tough to find the water). All sorts of exotic people and plenty of excitement!!

What are you talking about?  Iraq is a wonderful vacation spot!!!  Warm sun, plenty of beach (its just a little tough to find the water).  All sorts of exotic people and plenty of excitement!!

Is it like the Three Kings where u can stumble on lots of gold as well? :lol:

Just saw this today on page 2 of the Trib. I never knew Rio had over 4000 murders a year! To put it in perspective that total is more than double of the top 5 cities in the US combined :bang

Brazilian detectives said they knew the moment the call came in that this was no ordinary murder. The address gave it away. Barra de Tijuca is an affluent suburb of gated $700,000 condos, beachfront high-rises, palm trees and so many American expatriates that the locals call the neighborhood Miami Beach.

But the full weight of how extraordinarily different this homicide was from the estimated 4,000 murders that occur each year in Rio became jarringly clear on Nov. 30 when detectives entered the second-floor bedroom of a luxurious condo. A Utah executive, Todd Staheli, lay dead in his bed alongside his wife, Michelle, who was fatally wounded. Their bodies were mutilated by repeated blows from what appeared to be an ax or meat cleaver.

Detectives noticed Todd Staheli's gold Rolex watch on a bureau, a few feet from the bodies. From the window they could see the couple's Land Rover in the driveway.

This, the detectives quickly concluded, was no robbery, according to Brazilian authorities who provided extensive details on the case. This was rage.

Seven weeks after the grotesque slayings, the investigation of the killings remains inconclusive. No arrests have been made, no charges filed, and Brazilian and American officials have traded criticism over differences in the way they deal with criminal investigations.

Both sides agree that this is a singularly difficult case. There is little physical evidence, and every hypothesis that has surfaced so far contains a few holes. The state's top law-enforcement official, Antonio Garotinho, announced this month that police had homed in on 14 possibilities, one of which focuses on one of the couple's children.

Col. Romeu Ferreira, a deputy police chief, was quoted in O Globo, the leading Rio daily newspaper, on Jan. 8 as saying he was confident "that we will find out who the murderer or murderers are within a month."

But for the U.S. diplomatic community here, Brazil's law-enforcement system is its own worst enemy, attempting to settle too quickly on an initial suspect and viewing every discovery through that myopic lens rather than aggressively pursuing other possibilities.

`One-in-a-million' case

"This is a one-in-a-million type of case," said a U.S. diplomat familiar with the investigation. "But culture has really played a role in this case as well."

Todd Staheli, 39, an executive for Shell Oil, and Michelle, 38, moved to Brazil in August with their four children after assignments in London and Saudi Arabia. The couple were practicing Mormons, and Michelle taught Sunday school.

U.S. and Brazilian authorities, discussing the investigation in separate interviews, said there were no signs of a break-in. They said that a videocassette in the house surveillance system was defective, though it was unclear whether it had been tampered with.

In the hours immediately after the attack, Brazilian law-enforcement officials focused on the couple's 13-year-old daughter. From a three-page letter that Michelle Staheli had written to her daughter in the week before her death, detectives said they learned that things were not going well for the family as it adjusted to new lives and a new language.

"I know I have not been the ideal mother but you have not been the ideal daughter," the letter began, according to a portion quoted in Brazilian media and confirmed as accurate by authorities.

Police had more questions. According to authorities, forensic technicians found Michelle and Todd's blood in the 13-year-old's bed. U.S. and Brazilian officials said the girl told police that her 3-year-old sister had climbed into bed with their wounded parents on the morning of the attacks and had then crawled into her bed. But police did not find any child's pajamas with bloodstains, according to the officials.

Investigation questioned

The teenager told police she did not have a boyfriend, but police discovered in her bedroom a letter from a 13-year-old boy who attended school with her, in which he wrote that he "would do anything to keep us together," U.S. and Brazilian authorities said. .

"It's a hideous crime with an enormous degree of brutality and most probably involved someone close to the family who was familiar with the family and the house," said Monica di Piero, the prosecutor handling the investigation.

But to U.S. diplomats and the family's Brazilian lawyer, the Brazilian police investigators' approach raised more questions than it answered. An autopsy indicated that the couple likely was attacked by two assailants standing on either side of the bed and that the couple's wounds--particularly Todd's--were so deep that they likely were inflicted by someone of considerable strength and dexterity. No murder weapon has been found, authorities said.

A U.S. diplomat who read the letter written by Michelle Staheli to her daughter disputed the idea that there was anything unusual.

At first, investigators were unable to obtain statements from the older daughter and her brother, 10, because lawyers for Shell Oil and the family said the children would not submit to such a procedure until their legal guardians--their grandparents--arrived from Utah.

Brazilian investigators got a family court judge to order that the children remain in the country as potential witnesses. But officials said it took four days to obtain the statements, a delay the Brazilians said damaged their investigation. After providing police with statements, the Staheli children returned to Utah with their grandparents. Neither the grandparents nor the family's lawyers responded to repeated telephone calls.

A U.S. official familiar with the case said the investigation all but ground to a halt in the days between the murder and the taking of the depositions.

OMG, 4,000 murders per year!? At least they stopped anyone from giving the 1 finger salute!

s***, and we were pissing Rafie off . . .

I'm really sorry, I love your country. I was bad.

Tex, watch City of God (2003, subtitles)-- truly awesome movie and it illuminates just this very problem.

I'll rent it. I assume it is in espanol? I can practice my spanish at the same time.

Practicing Espaniol will not you much good-- it's in Portugese.

English subtitles will help you.

One of the few flicks I've seen last year that were legitimtely "good". Even Eberteroo liked it.

He was making joke about our authorities and he did that on purpose. After he gave the finger, his crew and other all started laughing. When someone go to your country i will recommend to start calling someone´s wife b**** or giving the finger to someone´s daddy...

:usa

:finger

Wow! I'm coming into this late and haven't read the whole thing. Reminds me of the old movie Cool Hand Luke "what we have here is failure to communicate". Hey, I'm just trying to be a peacemaker here, but it seems to me things that smack of disrespect are taken much more seriously in Latin America. Couple that with the fact that many in Latin America see the US as a big bully rather than a nice big brother and we have this bruhaha. So we have a double insult as far as Rafa is concerned and Americans with our tradition of flipping the bird at authority any time we want are insulted that he's insulted. I don't know all the details of the new US policy that the Brazilians thought they had to recriprocate in order to preserve their dignity. Tit for tat. You fingerprint ours so we do the same to yours. It's too bad because terror is real and everybody needs to be on the same page with this. No country is immune, not Brazil a very multi racial, multi cultural country. Hope everybody cools down and this doesn't turn out to be one of THOSE threads.