Adult Braces

Queen Prawn

I will be going to the orthodontist within the next month or so to start the process on getting braces. Can anyone tell me what it is like, anything I need to be careful of or ask the dentist about? I am getting a referral instead of just picking a name out of the book, so I should be able to trust the orthodontist.

Any thoughts or advice are appreciated.  I am nervous about having them.  Does anyone know the typical length of time they are on from start to finish?

I had braces put on three years ago when I was 15. I don't know about Tony, but my first two days were excruciating. Couldnt eat solid foods because it was so painful on my teeth......even had to have painkillers prescribed.

Todays new invisiline braces look great and you should ask your orthodontist about the prices; which are high but not at the ridiculous level they were a couple years ago. If you just stick to the metal braces hopefully you won't have to wear those rubber bands.....which look really goofy. I didnt really feel bad about getting them because in high school its normal for kids to have them. Fan0f14, because of your age hopefully you wont feel the need to shut yourself from the outside world.

As far as advice......kissing is hard to get accusomted to and you should avoid doing some things :D . I'm not joking either, the metal on braces has rugged edges that can cut your skin.

Thanks Flash. As for kissing, Brian and I will find a way around it. Na, braces won't make me shut myself off, but it will make my wedding pictures interesting (someone mentioned that I will likely have them for about 2 years, give or take).

I just got mine off a couple years back...but I know that have that Invisaline option now....Those clear retainers you wear that do the same as braces.

How 'straight' do your teeth have to be for the invisiline? I heard that there can only be minimal crookedness for those suckers. My teeth are mostly straight (except for one instance on the top and one on the bottom), but very crowded because of how long it took me to have my wisdom teeth removed... :(

By the way Fan, I meant to ask you something. Did you know any St. Rita guys when you went to school. Reason I'm asking is my brother is also 27 years old and dated a few McCauley girls back in the day.

Also.....did you know any of the Moshers that lived off 58th, Lawndale? Possible you didnt, I just remember they had about a million kids in their family.

By the way Fan, I meant to ask you something.  Did you know any St. Rita guys when you went to school.  Reason I'm asking is my brother is also 27 years old and dated a few McCauley girls back in the day.

Also.....did you know any of the Moshers that lived off 58th, Lawndale?  Possible you didnt, I just remember they had about a million kids in their family.

I went to Maria and was in St Rita HS marching (and concert) band. THe name you mentioned isn't familiar, but who knows. I'll bet my friend Dena knew them.