Teen Accidentally Killed By Father

Texsox

TAYLOR, Fla. -- A 14-year-old boy Jacksonville boy was shot and killed by his father Saturday morning in what the Baker County sheriff called a tragic hunting accident.

Dennis Plucknett was on a weekend trip in a hunting camp near the Georgia state line with his two sons, 14-year-old Alex and 17-year-old Jonathan.

Sheriff Joey Dobson Says Father Mistook Son's Hat For Hog

Investigators said that about 9:30 a.m., Plucknett asked his older son to see if he could see an animal moving in the woods. He couldn't, so he handed the .308 rifle to his dad. Thinking it was a hog, Plucknet fired one shot, hitting his son in the back of the head.

When the father called 911 on his cell phone, authorities said he was so distraught they could not get enough information to locate him. Another hunter then called and got rescuers to the scene, but Alex was pronounced dead at the scene.

"Unbelievable," Baker County Sheriff Joey Dobson said Sunday. "Of course he couldn't believe it."

Dobson said it was painful to see the father so distraught. He said the state attorney's office would review the case, but there is no evidence of foul play.

i urge anyone who is into hunting or had guns in their house to take some gun safety classes...the NRA has some great classes on handling guns safely..especially programs for kids...

wouldnt surprise me at all if that father ends up turning a gun on himself...thats just horrible

Safety rule #1 know what you are shooting.

That dad is in for a rough stretch as is the rest of the family. I would be very pissed at my wife if she killed one of my children, I'm not certain I could forgive her.