Colon offered contract from Expos

supernuke

I just read in Baseball Weekly that Omar Mineya said that the Expos were in negotiations with Colon on a long term deal before he was traded. BW said the deal was rumoured to be 4 years for about 50 million and was turned down by Colon. If this is true I really can't see him signing an extension with the Sox.

My intended point was that I can't see the Sox offering anything near that amount. While I agree that he wouldn't want to stay in Montreal the team is being sold and relocated so there would have been a lot of potential for him to be the ace pitcher in a new market. However with the uncertainty of the situation that probably wouldn't of swayed him.

My intended point was that I can't see the Sox offering anything near that amount. While I agree that he wouldn't want to stay in Montreal the team is being sold and relocated so there would have been a lot of potential for him to be the ace pitcher in a new market. However with the uncertainty of the situation that probably wouldn't of swayed him.

we have 6 main players we have to sign or pay next year...here is how i see it breaking down..i wont go length of contract..just what i think they will earn next year

maggs 13 mil

colon 12

thomas 7 mil ( i think thats his increased pick up value by the sox)

buehrle 5 mil

konerko 5 mil

koch 7 mil

thats 49 million for those 6 guys...if we set payroll next year at 65 million next year we would have 16 million to sign the remaining 19 players....it can be done..considering about 10 of those guys will be making the minimum or close to it..the guys we would have to pay would be valentin and lee...everyone else should come it at 2 million or less...

we could keep all our main players and still stay in a budget that the chairman would agree to..this is doable

HE DIDN'T WANT TO STAY WITH THE EXPOS. Nobody does, if the sox's offerd him the same deal he'd take it (assuing he likes Chicago and his teammates)

From what I read, he likes it here. So hopefully KW wont f*** up like he did with Buehrle and hell actually offer Colon something...

I agree it is doable, I am just not sure that it is likely to happen though.

no arguement there...

but if, by luck we make the playoff. what then.

thats the key...this team better be in contention by the trade deadline or this will look like a going out of business sale compared to the white flag sale