How great would Pujols look in a Sox uni...

Steff

Pujols wants long-term deal

By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer

January 18, 2004

ST. LOUIS (AP) -- Albert Pujols wants a long-term contract from the St. Louis Cardinals, and he doesn't plan to give them a bargain.

``What do you mean?'' Pujols said Sunday at the team's annual winter fanfest. ``This is business. There's no break here.

``You try to get what you deserve and that's what I want. I've taken care of my business in the field the last three years and hopefully I get treated respectfully, that's all I ask for.''

Pujols, who won his first NL batting title and finished second in MVP balloting behind Barry Bonds last season, expects to file for arbitration Tuesday.

Both he and the Cardinals anticipate Pujols, 24, will win a record arbitration award.

The Cardinals reportedly offered Pujols a $55 million, five-year contract. Pujols refused to discuss the status of talks.

``It's a tough negotiation because it's obviously a player that has never been in this category before,'' general manager Walt Jocketty said. ``There are very few comparables.''

In 1997, Mark McGwire signed for less than market value with the Cardinals, soon after joining them in a trade from Oakland. But Pujols, who batted .359 last season with 43 home runs, 124 RBIs and 137 runs scored, doesn't plan to do the same.

After watching the team allow Eduardo Perez and Miguel Cairo to leave as free agents this offseason and seeing the Cardinals trade J.D. Drew and Eli Marrero, Pujols said it might be best not to get too attached.

``I'm pretty sure it's going to work out,'' Pujols said. ``It's great to stay with one team and not get traded.

``I love the city, I love the fans, but also you need to understand this is business. Next year I could be somewhere else.''

The Cardinals don't see that happening. Manager Tony La Russa said the team wanted to make Pujols a ``Stan Musial, where he plays his whole career here.''

Pujols said he won't let his contract status affect his play. He made $900,000 last year, the largest one-year deal for a third-year player, and is due for a huge raise no matter what happens.

``I've been getting ready working out, and I'm not even thinking about it,'' Pujols said. ``It doesn't matter how much money I'm going to make, the money is not going to change the way I play the game.''

La Russa has no worries about Pujols' commitment. The only question is where he'll play.

Pujols, who played left field last year, likely will move to first base after Tino Martinez was traded to the Devil Rays. But Pujols played four positions regularly in each of his first two seasons and he's willing to play wherever he's needed.

``It doesn't matter to me until we break camp and we start the season, and even then during the season if somebody goes down and I have to move to the outfield, I'll do it,'' Pujols said. ``Because I'm a teammate guy.''

Pujols was limited in his throws last year by a sprained elbow ligament. He said he's been throwing without problems for almost a month and a half.

``It feels fine,'' Pujols said. ``It doesn't bother me at all.''

Pujols might be worth that much money.

But he's not worth it to most teams.

Ask Texas and A Rod.

Or Cincy and Griffey

Or the Blue Jays and Delgado.

Or Seattle without A Rod, Griffey and The Big Unit.

For most teams (everybody but Boston and Yankees), one key to winning is payroll balance. It does no good to give Pujols the moon if you're going to trot Simontachi, Tomko and other scrappers to the mound.

Pujols is a great player.

A great player who watched the post-season on TV with the rest of us last year.

Our situation with Maggs is similar. If we're spending $60 million, is it better to give a quarter of it to Ordonez, or to use the money for a starter and a solid corner outfielder?

Decisions like that are why KW makes the big bucks

The thing about the deal the Cardinals are offering to Pujols is that they're somewhat low balling him. He's got 3 yrs of service, so he can walk in 3 more. What they are offering is 2 yrs beyond that line at a discounted rate. He could head to arbitration and make good money for 3 years and then walk. I bet the Cardinals will have to step up their offer considerably for those extra 2 seasons or Albert will take his chances in arbitration and test the market in 3 seasons.

The thing about the deal the Cardinals are offering to Pujols is that they're somewhat low balling him. He's got 3 yrs of service, so he can walk in 3 more.  What they are offering is 2 yrs beyond that line at a discounted rate.  He could head to arbitration and make good money for 3 years and then walk.  I bet the Cardinals will have to step up their offer considerably for those extra 2 seasons or Albert will take his chances in arbitration and test the market in 3 seasons.

That's the key. If he wants a long term deal, he needs to take less money. There is NO benefit to the team to sign him long term and give him guaranteed money he would get if he went year-to-year.

Teams that give a player too much guaranteed money in that situation often end up regretting it. Players get hurt. Players performance drops off. There are too many situations where bad things can happen. Too many teams have fallen into the trap of giving a guy a long term deal without realizing any savings in trade for that guaranteed money.

Why pay huge money to a corner outfielder/infielder.  Ask KW about Lee, Orodnez, Thomas and Konerko.  You can't win with these guys making all of the money.

Baseball has been played up the middle for over 100 years. I'd rather spend the $$$$$ on a catcher, pitchers, middle infield, and a CF.

well, if that's the case.  The sox sure are screwed this year.  :o

yes they are. Same as last year. Notice the help that KW tried last season was at 2nd, CF, and pitcher.

We still haven't upgraded from Bart, Alomar, or any of our menageree in CF.

It is going to be a long s***ty season in Chicago. I hate happy Cub fans, I hate be an unhappy Sox fan, and both are going to happen unless something breaks loose or a major breakout season for a pitcher or two.

And who is our closer? Who do you really have confidence in?

Yet another athlete who uses the phrase "treat me with respect" when what he REALLY means is "pay me a lot".

:rolleyes:

You'd think I'd be used to that by now....oh well.....

good point...also when you here "this is a business" it usually means youre getting a guy that when things are going good he's alright as a teammate but as soon as there are some problems he's all about himself..

but hey..atleast he is honest...most guys just spout off the "bull durham" cliche's that crash davis taught nick laloosh

wonder who pujhols agent is??...he'd be a perfect client for scott borass :lol:

yes they are. Same as last year. Notice the help that KW tried last season was at 2nd, CF, and pitcher.

We still haven't upgraded from Bart, Alomar, or any of our menageree in CF.

It is going to be a long s***ty season in Chicago. I hate happy Cub fans, I hate be an unhappy Sox fan, and both are going to happen unless something breaks loose or a major breakout season for a pitcher or two.

And who is our closer? Who do you really have confidence in?

you need to read some of the more positive threads that have come up the past few days. I mean, yeah this team isn't great, but were not terrible. We just have to wait and see what trick's ozzie has pulled up his sleeve.

you need to read some of the more positive threads that have come up the past few days.  I mean, yeah this team isn't great, but were not terrible.  We just have to wait and see what trick's ozzie has pulled up his sleeve.

We are a 2nd place team that went backwards (so far). I think the Royals have moved forward and the Twins are about even. We are staying ahead of Cleveland and the Tigers.

Here's the tune KW is singing:

Been tradin' for my rent and signing' for my supper

I'm above the below and below the upper

I'm stuck in the middle where money gets tight

But I guess I'm doin' alright

Spring training hasn't even started and you guys are already writing off the Sox? I think they are gonna have a very talented team. I just hope Koch and Kornerko can rebound for sub-par seasons. I don't think Loaiza is a fluke but I'd be suprised to see him win 20 games again. The key to his success last year was adding a cutter to his arsenal. Garland needs to get his butt in gear and live up to his expectations. You know he has the potential. Sox should hire McDowell for a pitching coach. He had the best attitude I've seen any pitcher have. Attack attack attack. Don't nibble. I think Rowand and Harris will contribute alot to our team because their style of play is just like Guillen's style, hustle hustle hustle.

Sox Rule! :bringit

Spring training hasn't even started and you guys are already writing off the Sox? I think they are gonna have a very talented team. I just hope Koch and Kornerko can rebound for sub-par seasons. I don't think Loaiza is a fluke but I'd be suprised to see him win 20 games again. The key to his success last year was adding a cutter to his arsenal. Garland needs to get his butt in gear and live up to his expectations. You know he has the potential. Sox should hire McDowell for a pitching coach. He had the best attitude I've seen any pitcher have. Attack attack attack. Don't nibble. I think Rowand and Harris will contribute alot to our team because their style of play is just like Guillen's style, hustle hustle hustle.

Sox Rule! :bringit

Welcome to the party Striker :headbang

This will be your best day. Everyone here likes you. keep posting, that will change