Radar's Latest Idea

So Bettman has floated the idea of giving three points for a regulation win, 2 points for an OT win and 1 point for an OT loss or tie.

What's next, some kind of weird-ass soccer point system where you get points for number of goals scored?

Radar has f***ed up the NHL somethin' fierce!

What they need to do is play on international sized rinks. Everyone likes olympic hockey, no? So why not make the ice bigger, so the Devils can't trap people to death, make takes spread out and pass, it will be ten times better. No more grabbing and high sticks all the time. Also they should use the international rule with automatic icing.

What they need to do is play on international sized rinks.  Everyone likes olympic hockey, no?  So why not make the ice bigger, so the Devils can't trap people to death, make takes spread out and pass, it will be ten times better.

you can't just change the size of all the arenas around the league. They should play 4 on 4 until they could get some new rinks

you can't just change the size of all the arenas around the league. They should play 4 on 4 until they could get some new rinks

I'm not sayin change them in the middle of the season. It's something they could accomplish over the off-season though.

I'm not sayin change them in the middle of the season.  It's something they could accomplish over the off-season though.

In some places yeah, but in buildings like MSG and the United Center where they're dual purpose that would be impossible. Plus making the rink bigger would eliminate the most expensive seats in the league. No owner is going to go for that.

In some places yeah, but in buildings like MSG and the United Center where they're dual purpose that would be impossible. Plus making the rink bigger would eliminate the most expensive seats in the league. No owner is going to go for that.

For the dual purpose they just need a few more rubber mats to put over the ice. And they're not really eliminating the expensive seats, they're eliminating the cheapest seats.

For the dual purpose they just need a few more rubber mats to put over the ice.  And they're not really eliminating the expensive seats, they're eliminating the cheapest seats.

Meh, whatever. I'm, not gonna argue. I'll wait till the work stoppage and 1/2 the teams just vanish. Then we'll get back to old time hockey.

You want the league to get better? ELIMINATE a bunch of teams!!!

Get rid of both teams in Florida, get rid of Atlanta, get rid of Nashville, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, and Anaheim. Move Carolina back to Hartford, where they had REAL hockey fans (they never should've moved from Hartford in the first place).

And, finally, STOP CATERING TO THE CASUAL FAN IN EXPENSE OF THE DIE-HARDS! Jim C, a well-known poster at www.blackhawkzone.com has hit things on the nail in various threads on the Hawk Talk board.

http://www.blackhawkzone.com/forum/yabbse/...=12234;start=15

http://www.blackhawkzone.com/forum/yabbse/...;threadid=12244

http://www.blackhawkzone.com/forum/yabbse/...;threadid=12249

Jim C is a pure genius!

You want the league to get better?  ELIMINATE a bunch of teams!!!

Get rid of both teams in Florida, get rid of Atlanta, get rid of Nashville, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, and Anaheim.  Move Carolina back to Hartford, where they had REAL hockey fans (they never should've moved from Hartford in the first place).

And, finally, STOP CATERING TO THE CASUAL FAN IN EXPENSE OF THE DIE-HARDS!  Jim C, a well-known poster at www.blackhawkzone.com has hit things on the nail in various threads on the Hawk Talk board.

http://www.blackhawkzone.com/forum/yabbse/...=12234;start=15

http://www.blackhawkzone.com/forum/yabbse/...;threadid=12244

http://www.blackhawkzone.com/forum/yabbse/...;threadid=12249

Jim C is a pure genius!

Why would you eliminate Anaheim, who made the cup finals last year, and not the Blackhawks who are an aberration of a franchise? What you're basically saying is that warm-weather fans can't like hockey. That's dumb. And the Whalers moved because they played in a SHOPPING MALL and nobody cared about them.

The Ducks are taking on the role of the '96-'97 Florida Panthers, showing that they were merely lucky frauds who made the finals in the previous season. The mystery of their miraculous run last year has run out, and now they are struggling at the gate. If the LA metropolitan area doesn't even have a FOOTBALL team, how do you expect hockey to survive there!

And these "warm-weathered" fans (other than Dallas, that franchise is surviving well) are, in general, NOT real die hards. They are the equivalent of Cub fans to MLB. Hell, aside from the Kings, no team existed south of St. Louis until just over a decade ago! Very few of the teams Bettman has introduced into the league have been very successful as a whole. This is why this NBAization of the NHL has put the league into the state it's in. Bettman's f***ed things up majorly.

As for the Blackhawks, they cannot be eliminated, as they are, you guessed it...MAKING MONEY! And they have one of the richest owners in professional sports (he just won't spend his money). In addition, the Hawks are an Orignal Six franchise. If you're looking to restore any history in the league, the LAST thing you do is get rid of one of the Original Six franchises.

The Ducks are taking on the role of the '96-'97 Florida Panthers, showing that they were merely lucky frauds who made the finals in the previous season.  The mystery of their miraculous run last year has run out, and now they are struggling at the gate.  If the LA metropolitan area doesn't even have a FOOTBALL team, how do you expect hockey to survive there!

And these "warm-weathered" fans (other than Dallas, that franchise is surviving well) are, in general, NOT real die hards.  They are the equivalent of Cub fans to MLB.  Hell, aside from the Kings, no team existed south of St. Louis until just over a decade ago!  Very few of the teams Bettman has introduced into the league have been very successful as a whole.  This is why this NBAization of the NHL has put the league into the state it's in.  Bettman's f***ed things up majorly.

As for the Blackhawks, they cannot be eliminated, as they are, you guessed it...MAKING MONEY!  And they have one of the richest owners in professional sports (he just won't spend his money).  In addition, the Hawks are an Orignal Six franchise.  If you're looking to restore any history in the league, the LAST thing you do is get rid of one of the Original Six franchises.

If most of the teams have been around less than ten years, then there hasn't really been an opportunity for them to grow any roots. If you give them time to develop, then things have an opportunity to change.

The Hawks' home attendance average is fifth worst in the league. Behind Phoenix, behind Atlanta, behind ANAHEIM, and behind Florida. And their capacity percentage is second worst. They only make money because like you said, they spend none of it. So this is the formula the NHL should follow? Low attendance + no spending + no home tv contract? The Hawks shouldn't get a free pass just for being an original six member, they are as guilty as any team of dragging the league down.

I'll be genuinely happy if BlackHawks are suddenly contracted or relocated to Winnipeg or Quebec or some other Canuck hole, honest to G-d. I love my Chicago shrouded in misery.....That way the White Sox would be worshipped if they win anything, ever and I will be worshipped vicariously through them.

Go ЦСКА, go :cheers

If most of the teams have been around less than ten years, then there hasn't really been an opportunity for them to grow any roots.  If you give them time to develop, then things have an opportunity to change.

The Hawks' home attendance average is fifth worst in the league.  Behind Phoenix, behind Atlanta, behind ANAHEIM, and behind Florida.  And their capacity percentage is second worst.  They only make money because like you said, they spend none of it.  So this is the formula the NHL should follow?  Low attendance + no spending + no home tv contract?  The Hawks shouldn't get a free pass just for being an original six member, they are as guilty as any team of dragging the league down.

The franchise will out live Wirtz. Those original 6 franchise should remain in place.

The franchise will out live Wirtz.  Those original 6 franchise should remain in place.

Given enough time, sure they might thrive. So might Atlanta, Nashville, Carolina and all the other relatively new franchises she wants to get rid of. But if you want quick results, in the here and now the Blackhawks look more like an AHL team than NHL.

Given enough time, sure they might thrive.  So might Atlanta, Nashville, Carolina and all the other relatively new franchises she wants to get rid of.  But if you want quick results, in the here and now the Blackhawks look more like an AHL team than NHL.

Thats because of the complete and total neglect that has been done to this team by Dollar Bill and Pully in the name of lining their own pockets. The biggest losers? Not them, not the players ( who collect a paycheck for half-assing it every night ) but the fans and more than that, the suckers who still pay to go to watch that sorry ass team play.

Thats because of the complete and total neglect that has been done to this team by Dollar Bill and Pully in the name of lining their own pockets.  The biggest losers?  Not them, not the players ( who collect a paycheck for half-assing it every night ) but the fans and more than that, the suckers who still pay to go to watch that sorry ass team play.

Oh I'm fully aware of what Wirtz does. Just reading this board for a few years has given me more than enough examples. But the bottom line is, whatever the cause, the team at this moment is not helping the image of the NHL. I am obviously speaking in the hypothetical, and I know they would never be contracted. However, she was putting the blame on other teams for hurting the NHL product, and failed to mention the Hawks at all.

Oh I'm fully aware of what Wirtz does.  Just reading this board for a few years has given me more than enough examples.  But the bottom line is, whatever the cause, the team at this moment is not helping the image of the NHL.  I am obviously speaking in the hypothetical, and I know they would never be contracted.  However, she was putting the blame on other teams for hurting the NHL product, and failed to mention the Hawks at all.

You have a good point Spiff.

Oh I'm fully aware of what Wirtz does.  Just reading this board for a few years has given me more than enough examples.  But the bottom line is, whatever the cause, the team at this moment is not helping the image of the NHL.  I am obviously speaking in the hypothetical, and I know they would never be contracted.  However, she was putting the blame on other teams for hurting the NHL product, and failed to mention the Hawks at all.

In the end greed on both sides of the owner/player fued will be the end of professional sports as we now know it.

So it has to get cold for people to enjoy hockey? That is exactly why the sport is in trouble. The populations is the US has been in flux for decades. People move from state to state all the time. The states in the south have seen a net population increase and the north a decrease. The fans have moved south. Or are you saying hockey is such a s***ty sport that only people in the north can be attracted to it? Hockey is closer to soccor than any otehr sport. Where are your biggest markets for soccor? South. Fans down here instatntly appreaciate a sport that scoring isn't every 30 seconds.

Of the close to 100 minor and independent hockey teams in the US, 4 of the top 25 attendance clubs all are within 50 miles of the Texas - Mexico border. Minnesoat couldn't even support a team. Drop every team in the north, eh.

Hockey will grow when they have fans border to border instead of some weird regional thing. Hockey needs to attract a bigger audience, not smaller. Hockey will be healthy when television will carry games nationwide like all the other major sports.

Sure run a league for the die hard fans. See the Blackhawks in front of 1,500 die hards. How many Hawk fans attend 25 or more games vs how many people attend less than 3 or 4? The casual fan is what drives a sports economy. Add up all the people who make one or two trips a year to a baseball game vs. the die hards and the pile from the casual fan is much greater than the die hards. Die hards come to a game and spend less per game then the family there for their once or twice game.

Imagine a league with teams in the Hartfords of the world vs. teams in the Atlantas of the world. Which is going to be more successful?

Move Carolina back to Hartford, where they had REAL hockey fans (they never should've moved from Hartford in the first place).

:headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang

You've got Brian and myself backing you up on this one!

On a side note, I am traveling to Cincy this weekend to see the Cyclones play! :lol: First time this season I am getting to Cincy - weird considering by now, I would have been there at least 2 times already.

But if you want quick results, in the here and now the Blackhawks look more like an AHL team than NHL.

Don't insult AHL teams like that! :angry: :lol: :nono :lol:

Carolina isn't that new (there is a list of teams newer than them) - they were in the WHL in the early seventies.