The Bone Phone

Texsox

Block your ears to hear better on Japan's new bone phone

Tokyo

January 21, 2004

Japanese telecom carriers, pioneers of internet-capable and picture-snapping handsets, have now come up with the world's first mobile phone that enables users to listen to calls inside their heads - by conducting sound through bone.

The TS41 handset, manufactured by electronics firm Sanyo, was put on sale by the Tu-Ka mobile phone group this month, drawing healthy demand from customers who want to hear calls better in busy streets and other noisy places.

The new phone is equipped with a "Sonic Speaker" which transmits sounds through vibrations that move from the skull to the cochlea in the inner ear, instead of relying on the usual method of sound hitting the outer eardrum.

The rest of the story . . . is here

WOW!!! About 10 years ago I worked for a guy who had one of these things! It was a radio though, and you wore it like a collar. I never saw it used, as he gave it away or something like that. But people who saw it said it was the craziest thing. You could be standing right next to him and not hear anything from teh radio, as the sound was traveling through his body. I thought that they were all BS'ing me, but I guess that it was the truth!