The Dead Horse is dead

southsider2k5

From today's trib. Both Kenny Williams, Scott Boras, and Theo Epstein are denying this deal is being done, as are basically the Rangers.

It has become baseball's equivalent of a horror-movie freak who simply will not die.

Reports of an Alex Rodriguez-for-Manny Ramirez trade surfaced again Tuesday before the key parties dismissed them.

"That report is baseless," Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said.

A statement the Rangers released read: "The deal is dead. Honestly. There's no chance of this happening."

Even if representatives from both teams were fibbing and the A-Rod-for-Manny deal was completed, the White Sox would not get involved in a corresponding deal.

Sox general manager Ken Williams indicated late Tuesday that the trade that was in place a month ago—Magglio Ordonez for Nomar Garciaparra and reliever Scott Williamson—is no longer viable.

"At one point, such an overture would have been considered as a good Phase 1 in improving the club," Williams said. "I don't believe that at this juncture, a Phase 2, 3, or 4 could be put together."

In other words, the Sox no longer can make the necessary moves to have the deal make sense.

The Sox would have difficulty trading shortstop Jose Valentin, and right fielder Juan Gonzalez is no longer a free agent, having signed with Kansas City.

ESPN.com churned the rumor mill Tuesday when it reported "talks have restarted and a trade between the two teams is actively being discussed, a high-ranking baseball official confirmed to ESPN's Dan Patrick on Tuesday."

WMVP-AM in Chicago also reported officials from the Rangers and Red Sox planned to meet this weekend in New York to negotiate a potential deal.

As it turns out, some Rangers officials plan to be in New York this weekend for an awards ceremony honoring Rodriguez, the American League MVP.

"Don't read anything into some of those people being in New York," the Rangers said in their statement.

The A-Rod-for-Manny trade talks first died, at least for public consumption, on Dec. 18, when the players' union rejected Boston's attempts to restructure the remainder of Rodriguez's 10-year, $252 million deal.

Then they appeared to die for good five days later, with the Red Sox unwilling to pay the remaining $4 million-a-year difference between the two contracts.

Then came Tuesday, when both teams shot down ESPN's reports. The player's agents, however, were less definitive in comments to ESPN.

"A trade of this magnitude is certainly going to die, come alive, die and come alive as we've seen over the last couple of months," said Jeff Moorad, who represents Ramirez. "At the same time, if a deal like this comes together, my guess is that it will be done in private without a whole lot of media scrutiny."

Said Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras: "The report is wholly unrealistic. I have not been advised of any meetings. ESPN is jumping the gun."

Jumping the gun on what?

And isn't the phrase

The Old Gray Mare is Dead?

The Old Grey Mare, she ain't what she used to be.

Beating a dead horse.

A horse is a horse, of course, of course, and no one can talk to a horse, of course, unless of course it's the famous horse, talk to Mr. Ed. Go right to the source and ask the source, he'll give you the answer that you'll endorse, he's always on a steady course, talk to Mr. Ed.

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Trojan horse.

Horse sense.

Horsing around.

Dark horse.

Behold the pale horse.

Horse of a different color.

You can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

My baby's face looked like a horse until I realized I got it confused with an ass. (old country song)

Making this list is more fun that projecting the Sox chances in 2004.