Kick Me In The Shingo!

Dick Allen

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How be damn, sounds like a good move to me. I don't know a thing about this guy, but if the Sox offered him the closer position he must have somewhat decent stuff or at least I'd hope so.

Now we have him, Koch, Marte, Politte, Santiago, Wunsch...not too shabby.

I'd bet the Sox hold onto Koch unless they can unload him and someone is willing to eat his contract.

This move really strengthens the pen if he turns out to be a good reliever. And if Koch picks things back up, mixed with Marte, Politte, Wunsch, Santiago, etc this pen may turn from a weakness into a strength.

Is there a big demographic of Japanese people in Chicago?

I know it's not as big as the one is Seattle, and that this signing won't have an Ichiro kind of impact, or even a Matsui one, but I wonder if this will bring some more media attention.

Anybody got any other info on him? Lefty or Righty? What pitches does he have? etc.

I do like the nickname "Mr. Zero" though :D

Can you imagine how well that nickname will play the first time he blows a save???

I can just hear some of those leather lunged fans now!! :lol:

Is there a big demographic of Japanese people in Chicago?

I know it's not as big as the one is Seattle, and that this signing won't have an Ichiro kind of impact, or even a Matsui one, but I wonder if this will bring some more media attention.

I went to a Seattle game a couple years ago. I will never make that mistake again. Damn Ichiro fans. I just can't picture people screaming, "SHINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!" like they would "ICHHHHIRROOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Then again, you never know. Hopefully they don't do that cuz that would suck big time.

In seriousness it sounds like a good move. Even if he sucks because nobody else would offer him the closer role but us it's a good publicity move to say that they did something of note. I'm hoping nobody wanted to take the chance to offer him the closer role. If the Sox were the only ones to do that either they saw something or that the Sox just wanted him that badly, desperate for a move.

1 Mill a year, eh? Saves leader you say?

Us he also a record=holder for blown saves?

No, you see, if you want a lot of BLOWN saves, it costs you $6 million!

Reference: Billy Koch.

From Rotoworld:

The White Sox will soon sign Japanese reliever Shingo Takatsu to a one-year, $1 million contract with an option for 2005.

It appears that the Sox offered Takatsu, Japan's all-time saves leader, their closer's role in order to get the deal done. Some other teams were interested in him as a setup man. If the job really belongs to Takatsu, the White Sox may pay some team (Pittsburgh? Montreal?) to take the final year of Billy Koch's deal.

SHINGO SON!!!!!

takatsu.jpg

Here's some information I've compiled form different websites:

-At one time, as recent as 12/3/03, the Yankees were interested in Shingo. Along with several other clubs including the San Diego Padres.

-Delivers sidearm, is a right-hander.

-Career stats: http://www.japanesebaseball.com/players/pl...D=310&Year=1997.