Curious at to the opinions on this...

Steff

From Top Student To Prisoner: teen gets 10 yrs for sex w/ another teen

"That's what happened to Marcus Dixon, a defensive end on the Pepperell High School football team in Rome with a near-perfect GPA (3.96) and an SAT score of more than 1200 who had won a scholarship to Vanderbilt University. According to Vanderbilt's head coach, Bobby Johnson, there is a "good chance" Dixon would have been a starter this year, were it not for the fact that he is now in prison.

"Last February, Dixon, who was 18 and a senior, had sex with a sophomore girl from one of his classes who was three months shy of her 16th birthday. Two days later, she accused him of raping her."

*Dixon is African American and the alleged victim is caucasian*

"Dixon's supporters say the girl flirted with him and consented to sex. At trial a witness claimed the girl said she accused Dixon of rape so that she would not get in trouble with her father, who was described as a racist who had whipped her for smoking. "

http://biz.yahoo.com/law/040116/e0f...7ad9ce23_1.html

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?b117725863

Just for anyone not clear on the definition:

jury nullification

: the acquitting of a defendant by a jury in disregard of the judge's instructions and contrary to the jury's findings of fact

Note: Jury nullification is most likely to occur when a jury is sympathetic toward a defendant or regards the law under which the defendant is charged with disfavor. Except for a statutory requirement to the contrary, a jury does not have to be instructed on the possibility of jury nullification.

He shouldn't have been tried for anything but statutory (sp?) rape, so yes, I think jury nullification should happen here. 

Dude should have thought with the right head before he did anything - I thought most knew that 15=jailbait.

OK.. but he wasn't. Also.. the jury was not notified of the nullification option.

And last, but not least...

10 YEARS?!?!?!?!?!

OK.. but he wasn't. Also.. the jury was not notified of the nullification option.

And last, but not least...

10 YEARS?!?!?!?!?!

Um, I think I'm agreeing with you...maybe I misunderstood the nullification thing. What I was trying to say is set aside the verdict.

Um, I think I'm agreeing with you...maybe I misunderstood the nullification thing.  What I was trying to say is set aside the verdict.

Oh... ok.

Then you mean that the nullification in the manner it was handled here was inappropriate.

:huh:

So no opinion on the nullification..??

It's extremely relevant to her testimony, in particular her description of the alleged rape and how it influenced the jury's slant.

As far as nullification....what can be said about it? I don't know what happened, a Black dude got himself some underaged virgin poon; who's to say it was consented to or not and whether nully would be justified. Tough break either way.

Oh... ok.

Then you mean that the nullification in the manner it was handled here was inappropriate.

Yeah...That's the ticket!

Seriously, yes that's exactly what I meant - lack of sleep, lack of O2 and an impromptu 'What the hell do you do at my company?' has be off a bit today (yeah, I know, it doesn't explain the rest of the time!).

It's extremely relevant to her testimony, in particular her description of the alleged rape and how it influenced the jury's slant.

As far as nullification....what can be said about it? I don't know what happened, a Black dude got himself some underaged virgin poon; who's to say it was consented to or not and whether nully would be justified. Tough break either way.

Brando.. then maybe you should read the link. He was NOT convicted of rape. The sex was ruled CONSENTUAL. It's the way the nullification was handled. This kid, according to the law, should have been convicted of nothing more than a misdemeanor charge of statutory rape.

Brando.. then maybe you should read the link. He was NOT convicted of rape. The sex was ruled CONSENTUAL. It's the way the nullification was handled. This kid, according to the law, should have been convicted of nothing more than a misdemeanor charge of statutory rape.

Again, I don't know what happened. The jury could have been taken for a ride. Who the hell knows. He'll be 28 when he gets out (I am assuming there is no possiblity of parole, not sure). Still young.

Don't mess with da jailbait (or when you do make sure ithe age difference is not as startling), nothing good can come of it, and in this case the verdict procedure was criminally mishandled, true.

Next.

Again, I don't know what happened.  The jury could have been taken for a ride.  Who the hell knows. He'll be 28 when he gets out (I am assuming there is no possiblity of parole, not sure).  Still young. 

Don't mess with da jailbait (or when you do make sure ithe age difference is not as startling), nothing good can come of it, and in this case the verdict procedure was criminally mishandled, true. 

Next.

Sigh... only 10 years of his life.. gone.. :angry:

But your opinion is duly noted. Thank you. :P

i've heard about this case...sad

that law should be changed to have at least a 4 year difference in age..that way no one 2 days short of being 16 could claim statutory rape..but if an 18 year old is porking my 15 year old daughter...im gonna be pissed off about it...so there are two sides to this..we seem to be focusing in on only one...

what's sad is this kid had a great future..and he let a little instant gratification destroy it...when you're in a position he was you have to be more careful..you really need good people around you to help you keep focused on what's important...

so akid gets 10 years for consensual sex -

and trust me guys, if she says ok and she turns out to be under 16, it could be your ass in jail - its rape by statute - we have a case right now, and she looked 18 to me, and Mom allowed it to happen over several weeks in Mom's home - but the girl was really only 15 - so even with consent and Mom allowing, it is statutory rape and we are trying to plea bargain to under a year -

then again, there is the federal requirement (waiting for all the Republicans, hi Mr Eye, to denounce this as intrusion into the states governing, then expalin No Child Left Behind where the Bush administration lays commandments on the states as if one size fits all and supplies no money to pay for it - a pretty huge unfunded federal mandate) that anyone convicted of a sexual offense be listed oin the inetrnet for 25 years as a sexual offender - which lumps your consensual sex guys in with child molestors and rapists - and after you serve your sentence, you will still be on the internet to ruin all your job chances -

meanwhile today former Republican governor and just resigned Republican congressman from South dakota Jangkow (spelling) ran over a motorcycle rider in his car, killed the rider, claimed it wasn't his fault because he missed a meal, got convicted anyway of 2nd degree manslaughter, and with a long, long record of taffic offenses and many more he got off from because he was governor and congresman, and was sentenced to.............

100 days.

I have been stunned those who complained the Ligue's didn't get sentenced to enough time, those who made fun of, mocked, the Ligues, haven't been all over the dear republican congressman on this one.

Fair, fair?

i've heard about this case...sad

that law should be changed to have at least a 4 year difference in age..that way no one 2 days short of being 16 could claim statutory rape..but if an 18 year old is porking my 15 year old daughter...im gonna be pissed off about it...so there are two sides to this..we seem to be focusing in on only one...

what's sad is this kid had a great future..and he let a little instant gratification destroy it...when you're in a position he was you have to be more careful..you really need good people around you to help you keep focused on what's important...

True, but would you honestly want the kid to be in jail for 10 years when the court found it to be conensual sex.

meanwhile today former Republican governor and just resigned Republican congressman from South dakota Jangkow (spelling) ran over a motorcycle rider in his car, killed the rider, claimed it wasn't his fault because he missed a meal, got convicted anyway of 2nd degree manslaughter, and with a long, long record of taffic offenses and many more he got off from because he was governor and congresman, and was sentenced to.............

100 days.

Lesson 1: Be Caucasian

Lesson 2: Be a professional politician with connections.

Life is unfair. Yeah.

Don't act like most of you never had a close call like that in your lives....Had ot myself, but fortunately wasn't into rough sex at the time and she wasn't 15 nor was her father an unreasonable incestuous (daddy's little girl's got booty noone should touch, ever, etc) racist POS, so no prob there. Meh.

so akid gets 10 years for consensual sex -

and trust me guys, if she says ok and she turns out to be under 16, it could be your ass in jail - its rape by statute - we have a case right now, and she looked 18 to me, and Mom allowed it to happen over several weeks in Mom's home - but the girl was really only 15 - so even with consent and Mom allowing, it is statutory rape and we are trying to plea bargain to under a year -

then again, there is the federal requirement (waiting for all the Republicans, hi Mr Eye, to denounce this as intrusion into the states governing, then expalin No Child Left Behind where the Bush administration lays commandments on the states as if one size fits all and supplies no money to pay for it - a pretty huge unfunded federal mandate) that anyone convicted of a sexual offense be listed oin the inetrnet for 25 years as a sexual offender - which lumps your consensual sex guys in with child molestors and rapists - and after you serve your sentence, you will still be on the internet to ruin all your job chances -

100 days.

I have been stunned those who complained the Ligue's didn't get sentenced to enough time, those who made fun of, mocked, the Ligues, haven't been all over the dear republican congressman on this one.

Fair, fair?

does everything have to be turned into republican vrs. democrat???....drunken teddy killed his hooker..and served how much time in jail???....

True, but would you honestly want the kid to be in jail for 10 years when the court found it to be conensual sex.

no i dont think he should be in jail for 10 years...he shouldnt have to register as a sex offender either...that wasnt the intent of that law...that's why i said its sad and i'd change the law...but the kid isnt completely innocent either...he knew she was 15..it was dumb on his part , especially with all he had to lose , to have sex with her...but it looks like the punishment doesnt fit the crime here...

i cant say for sure what should happen here because im not privy to all the details..but if i was his lawyer id definately look into the race angle..how many white 18 year olds are being prosecuted (or have been)in georgia for sex with 15 year olds???...if they arnt any you might have a good civil rights case here

I might be wrong but by setting a minimum age the state has determined that children under 16 can not consent in that situation. Where do we draw the line? Can a 12 year old consent to sex with a 16 year old?

One reason we have consent ages is to eliminate the she said yes ~ no I didn't loop.

he shouldnt have to register as a sex offender either...that wasnt the intent of that law

I disagree. Knowing who the rapists are, especially someone who targets underaged children is exactly what the law was intended to do. Give people a way to know the threats in their neighborhoods.

I disagree. Knowing who the rapists are, especially someone who targets underaged children is exactly what the law was intended to do. Give people a way to know the threats in their neighborhoods.

these are both high school age kids..he just turned 18 and she was just short of her 15th birthday...i said it was stupid on his part but still he shouldnt have his life ruined..he isnt a 30 year old man hiding behind the bushes in a park luring little children with candy...they were both in high school..imo i dont believe the law is being fair here...

thats a problem we face with any law..there are always extreme cases that people use to get rid of whjat otherwise is a good thing..registering sex offenders is a good thing...this doesnt fit that profile imo

come to think of it...i was 21 and dating a 17 year old back in the day (where i was that was legal though)...its normal for the guy to be a little older...so at 18 a guy really doesnt have too many options...

btw..isnt georgia one of the few states left that lets 14 year olds marry???...kind of a conflicting message