blue moon beer

cwsox

I don't drink -

nothing moral, just too cheap and I do prefer my caffeine free diet coke for taste -

however --

last night out with a friend and he made a comment on some new beer being all the fad, blue moon beer, and the bartender (and she was adorably cute and my friend was hitting on her all night!) overheard and gave us each a sample -

I don't like beer at all -

I loved blue moon beer and drank - well, a copious amount.

Anyone know anything about this beer?

IIRC, Blue Moon is a beer made by Coors.  I've never had it but I've been on the Coors brewery tour 3 times (My brother used to live near it so we'd go when we visited)

can I drink Coors or is anyone boycotting it?

back in the 70s and 80s we leftist types were boycotting Coors for a lot of labor and political reasons - is that all over?

can I drink Coors or is anyone boycotting it?

back in the 70s and 80s we leftist types were boycotting Coors for a lot of labor and political reasons - is that all over?

The Coors family is pretty hardcore supporters of God Inc. (a.k.a. The Christian Right) and a lot of conservative "family values" type movements like that. I don't drink their beer for that reason...and most of it tastes really bad haha

I don't drink -

nothing moral, just too cheap and I do prefer my caffeine free diet coke for taste -

however --

last night out with a friend and he made a comment on some new beer being all the fad,  blue moon beer, and the bartender (and she was adorably cute and my friend was hitting on her all night!) overheard and gave us each a sample -

Blue Moon is hardly a new beer. It has been available in select Chicago bars for years now. It maybe new to your area in MI but I've been to more than a few bars over the years where Blue Moon is served.

For any other info you may want to know, check out www.realbeer.com. That website is practically my bible :D

Blue Moon is hardly a new beer. It has been available in select Chicago bars for years now. It maybe new to your area in MI but I've been to more than a few bars over the years where Blue Moon is served.

For any other info you may want to know, check out www.realbeer.com. That website is practically my bible  :D

CK, the bar I was at last night here in very rural western Michigan - blue moon beer is very new out here - but how backwards are we? The bar is in a town about 20 miles from where I live and my first time ever there - when the bill came, I gave the waitress my debit card to pay the bill and she and the bartender cracked up laughing and the bartender said, "you've never been in this town before have you?" Yes - the place so f***ing rural I couldn't even pay by a debit card - fortunately my friend had cash with him to cover my tab... :lol:

You have taken your first step into the wide world of beer with taste!

... that said, Blue Moon is just one small step on a very long and enjoyable journey.

Yes, Blue Moon is a Coors offering, as is Killian's and a few others. There is a lot of duplicity by the mega-brews to convince people they are drinking a micro (much like Icehouse from the ficticious "Plank Road Brewery," which is a Miller product). In the case of Blue Moon, however, they came up with something pretty drinkable and it does bring awareness of a wider world of beer diversity to people like you.

Blue Moon is an interpretation of the Belgian wit (white beer) category. It is among my favorite beer styles, using nearly equal parts malted 2-row European barley and unmalted winter wheat (the glutens in teh wheat give the beer style its characteristic cloudy haze, although that trait is subdued in Blue Moon). Spices like Indian coriander and bitter orange peel are added late in the boil to add complexity. Seeds of paradise is sometimes also used, and I like to include chamomile in my recipes when I brew the style. The yeast strains used leave phenolic and also sometimes sour notes in the finished product (sometimes a portion of the beer is intentionally soured before fermentation to achieve this as well).

The amazing thing about this style is that it was quite nearly lost to the world, but for the efforts of Belgian-turned-Texan Pierre Celis. He worked as a young man in a traditional farmhouse witbier brewery in the Belgian countryside. The rural style died out in subsequent years until noone brewed it anymore. Some old guys were hanging out one day reminiscing about the old style they used to love, and Pierre remarked that he believed he could recreate it. He bought some used dairy farm equipment, started the Hoegarden Brewery, and hsi wit recreation was a smash hit. He sold Hoegarden, and moved with his daughter to Austin Texas, where he started up the Celis Brewery that introduced American craft beer fans to the style. Sadly, Miller bought controlling interest in the Celis Brewery (Pierre though it would lead to brewery expansion and national distribution for his products), and the %$#*! Miller bean counters decided to shut down after a couple years sunce the profit margin wasn't to their liking (Interestingly, CW, there is a group from your home state that is trying to buy the Celis name, as well much of the Austin brewery equipment, to resume production).

If you liked Blue Moon, I implore you to seek out some other wit examples. Hoegarden and several other newer Belgian examples are now redily found in the states (Go to Zeke's Bar in Dowagiac if you are ever in that part of Michigan - great beer bar!). Sam Adam's Summer Ale is loosely in the style. Chambly, from Quebec's Unibrue brewery is very good (like all their beers), and is bottle-conditioned (natural yeast fermenttion). Allagash, from the northeast US, is great Limburg from New Zealand is hard to find but really good.

Sorry you asked? :bang

Here's to good beer :drink

I knew you'd pop in on this thread!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As far as beer goes, I don't drink!!!!! but... remember the Dumb Guy character on David Letterman? Picture me: "This here blue moon tastes good!"

Besides being cheap and not liking beer, it is on my "allergic" list although last night I threw the list away :lol: I really, really like the tatse of that - my buddy didn't like it at all - but I was happy! I have to find out if anyone in town sells it -- I could see myself drinking this stuff -

as far as your educated advice as to move into the world of beer, I shall bookmark this thrad for future reference - I feel good that you give blue moon beer a thumbs up -

the problem is that beer is brewed with yeast and yeast is not allowed in my body per the doctor's orders which I know is the right thing from experience - yeast is a bad, bad thing when it gets in me - while I had no problems much today (well I did but they were mild) to do this regular would be not wise.

But I liked it! I really liked it!

thanks for the info, which as I say, is bookmarked for future referance! :cheers :cheers :cheers

An old professor of mine had a yeast allergy (one of many he had), and good beer was the thing he missed the most.

You probably had mild adverse effects with the Blue Moon because the yeast cells are filtered out with either membrane of diotomaceous earth before bottling. There are still some yeast metabolites in the finished products but 99% of what would caus you problems has been removed. That's usually the case with any of the mainstream brews. A notable exception is the offerings from Cali's Sierra Nevada (yumm). All of their products are bottle-conditioned, which means there is a light dusting of live, dormant yeast cells at the bottom of every bottle. That's good news for homebrewers that want a source of the famous "Chico" yeast and are too cheap to spend a couple bucks on a culture, but bad news for people with yeast issues.

Yeast in the bottle is a blessing and a curse for craft beer. It's beneficial because it scubs the beer of diacetyl, a fermentation byproduct that tastes like butter to people that can perceive it and usually considered a flavor flaw. It's also a great source of B-complex vitamins, so it can be its own best preventive for a hangover. On the downside, if the bottled beer is mishandled, exposed to heat, etc., the yeast will autolyse and affect the beer. Bottle-conditioning is also too inconsistent for the homogenized desires of the megabrewers and they have instead gone with artificial carbonation of a heavily filtered product for a long time.

Just curious... do breads and other bakery products that use baker's yeast also cause problems for you?

Just curious...  do breads and other bakery products that use baker's yeast also cause problems for you?

good info there, thanks -

as for bread, other things, I never eat bread, only do pizza once a year when I plan to be sick the next day, I read labels very carefully - I have learned to make a lot of things with no yeast since they stick yeast in everything even canned and dry soup! It is in Ritz crackers! If it has yeast, I do not eat it.

The local bar/restaurant named a burger after me which includes no bun, no ketsup (vinegar activtaes yeast), no pickle (vinegar) - it is a slab of meat with fresh veggies - boring, healthy, and fun that I have a buger named in my honor! :lol:

The Coors family is pretty hardcore supporters of God Inc. (a.k.a. The Christian Right) and a lot of conservative "family values" type movements like that. I don't drink their beer for that reason...and most of it tastes really bad haha

oh my god , they support family values!!!

those animals !!!!!! :headshake

oh my god , they support family values!!!

those animals !!!!!! :headshake

It's "family values" with the quotations because an actual look shows that it's pretty much a thinly veiled homophobic, racist stance. (PMRC hearings from the 80s to now with the marriage amendment BS in the name of "family values")

I'm not a fan of Blue Moon. It has too much sweetness for my taste. that's probably got something to do with it being served with an orange slice every time i've had it.

IF you like that one you should try Hacker Pschorr(sp) there's no way i spelled that right. pronounced hocker Shore. Probably not even pronouncing it right.

Also you'd probably like Sam Adams summer ale... Not quite the same as the other two, but they each share qualities of the other... all served with a form of citrus.

Some of my favorites...

around here.. honeywiess, yingling(sp), PBR(its so bad, its good),a couple brew pubs i frequent, carmel nut ale(i order desert and have a couple of those and I'm in heaven) aruba red (kinda like Red Stripe, only drinkable),and one I can't have anymore the pub closed i think it was called Brussels Duvel.

My favorite that I can't get here is Fat Tire Ale(only available west of Mississippi river. It's served in Safeco and PacBell ballparks though at an outrageous price) -- I still have a bunch stashed in my fridge, but unfortunately rationing the beer was not a good idea. The small amount I have left is pretty much undrinkable.

I'm not a fan of Blue Moon.  It has too much sweetness for my taste. that's probably got something to do with it being served with an orange slice every time i've had it.

IF you like that one you should try Hacker Pschorr(sp) there's no way i spelled that right. pronounced hocker Shore. Probably not even pronouncing it right.

Also you'd probably like Sam Adams summer ale... Not quite the same as the other two, but they each share qualities of the other... all served with a form of citrus.

Some of my favorites...

around here.. honeywiess, yingling(sp), PBR(its so bad, its good),a couple brew pubs i frequent, carmel nut ale(i order desert and have a couple of those and I'm in heaven) aruba red (kinda like Red Stripe, only drinkable),and one I can't have anymore the pub closed i think it was called Brussels Duvel.

My favorite that I can't get here is Fat Tire Ale(only available west of Mississippi river. It's served in Safeco and PacBell ballparks though at an outrageous price) -- I still have a bunch stashed in my fridge, but unfortunately rationing the beer was not a good idea.  The small amount I have left is pretty much undrinkable.

The Belgian wits and their derivatives should NOT traditionally be served with the citrus slice. Your local bar folks are confusing Bavarian weissbier and Belgian witbier - both grand styles, but not the same animal. If you like Fat Tire's stuff, not to mention Duvel (I'm impressed) I'm sure you will like authentic witbier when you come across it.

1 question, how much alcohol is in it?

The style is traditionally low to medium in alcohol strength, owing to the fact that half the grain bill is not malted. The use of a traditionallu 'undermodified' pilsner-style barley also means that there is not enough diastatic (starch-converting) enzyme potential to get much alcohol from the wheat either.

That being said, versions with a large grain bill (e.g., holiday interpretations, etc.) can be more alcoholic. These are often nominally designated as 'grand cru' or something similar, instead of simply witbier.

The wit style was born in the Belgian countryside and brewed basically with whatever cheap ingredients were on hand. That is why the unmalted what is there - readily available and cheap. It is also why the hopping rates are traditionally low, as the hops used were normally imported Czech or Brit "nobel" varieties and usually too expensive for farmhouse breweries to buy much of. That's the real beauty of Belgians indigineous beer styles - tthey were absolutely products borne of the practicality of their times.

CW:  Why go for the Blue Moon beer.  When there is a great Micro-Brew out there, its from K-zoo, Bells.  The one thing I miss about living out there and going to college was bells beer espcially during the late summer when oberahan (SP) came out.

Bells -

just last week a local judge and I were discussing Bells -

Bells is great and I will only drink it there - I remember when it opened, it was maybe 1996? in Kalamazoo a mile or so from my house - not living in Kazoo now and trying like hell to find a job there so I can move back -

did you go to WMU or Kazoo? Why don't I rememebr that?

Damn I love Kalamazoo. I want to move back there so much - never should have left - Kazoo is 85 miles from where I am now - I wanna go back so damn much...

Bells -

just last week a local judge and I were discussing Bells -

Bells is great and I will only drink it there - I remember when it opened, it was maybe 1996? in Kalamazoo a mile or so from my house - not living in Kazoo now and trying like hell to find a job there so I can move back -

did you go to WMU or Kazoo?  Why don't I rememebr that?

Damn I love Kalamazoo.  I want to move back there so much - never should have left - Kazoo is 85 miles from where I am now - I wanna go back so damn much...

Have you ever been to Torch Lake, up that way? I went there as a 10 year old back in '68. My first extended camping trip, in fact. The water was so clear and cold. I hope it's still as beautiful today as I remember.