Oscar nominees are out

RibbieRubarb

The Oscar nominations have been anounced.

WHat I wanted to comment on is the how they are pushing away from the "Hollywood system and stars" and nominating performances and films that deserve the recognition.

Probably because "Old Hollywood" is dying off and the army of actors and directors that came to hollywood during the independant movement years of the late 60s and early 70s are in power now and make up the majority...Just a theory.

http://www.oscars.com/nominees/nomineelist.html

good for johnny depp getting nominated. wow for both pirates and master and commander getting recognized as much as they did. very cool.

'Pirates was an awesome movie. I bought it a couple weeks ago and have watched it twice. Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom were great in their roles.

Damn. They actually nominated Bill Murray, maybe he is gonna win the Oscar too. I thought there was a chance they would screw Murray because he's a comedian ala Jim Carrey for "Truman Show" and "Man on the Moon"

Good for Bill.

Damn. They actually nominated Bill Murray, maybe he is gonna win the Oscar too. I thought there was a chance they would screw Murray because he's a comedian ala Jim Carrey for "Truman Show" and "Man on the Moon"

Good for Bill.

I don't know why murray has gotten so much press for LIT... he played the same character he has over the past 4 years...

I don't know why murray has gotten so much press for LIT... he played the same character he has over the past 4 years...

I'll take 10 minutes of Bill Murray of Rushmore/Lost in Translation over anything Jim Carrey, Mike Myers and Robin Williams have done in the last 5 years combined.

YMMV

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE

Johnny Depp - PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL

Ben Kingsley - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG

Jude Law - COLD MOUNTAIN

Bill Murray - LOST IN TRANSLATION

Sean Penn - MYSTIC RIVER

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Alec Baldwin - THE COOLER

Benicio Del Toro - 21 GRAMS

Djimon Hounsou - IN AMERICA

Tim Robbins - MYSTIC RIVER

Ken Watanabe - THE LAST SAMURAI

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE

Keisha Castle-Hughes - WHALE RIDER

Diane Keaton - SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE

Samantha Morton - IN AMERICA

Charlize Theron - MONSTER

Naomi Watts - 21 GRAMS

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE

Shohreh Aghdashloo - HOUSE OF SAND AND FOG

Patricia Clarkson - PIECES OF APRIL

Marcia Gay Harden - MYSTIC RIVER

Holly Hunter - THIRTEEN

Renée Zellweger - COLD MOUNTAIN

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)

THE BARBARIAN INVASIONS

DIRTY PRETTY THINGS

FINDING NEMO

IN AMERICA

LOST IN TRANSLATION

Directing:

CITY OF GOD

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

LOST IN TRANSLATION

MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD

MYSTIC RIVER

BEST PICTURE

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING

LOST IN TRANSLATION

MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD

MYSTIC RIVER

SEABISCUIT

Good:

--Pompous blowhard Russel Crowe got snubbed in favor of hilarious

J-Depp :headbang

--No sight of Cruise OR Dances With Samuraii as Best Picture...Ha! :headbang

--Hunter, Clarkson, Gay Harden, Watts, Theron, Morton, Aghdashloo, Law, Kingsley, Tel Toro, Murray, Watanabe, Baldwin, Hounsou, Robbins, Penn.... ALL solid choices. I am SHOCKED. I could live with Re-Ze and Keaton because they're pretty good and because Botox Fivehead is absent. :headbang

--City of God regetting respect. :headbang

--Best Picture noms are very diverse and all fairly deserving.... :headbang

Bad:

--It was to MUCH to expect the lead of Station Agent would make it. Academy went out of its way to be LESS about popularity and more about MERIT this year, but common, good or not, an actor under 5 feet tall? Wasn't gonna happen... :fyou

Man....Not much else to say. Go Academy for once!

[mild horn-tooting] There is NO way I am gonna get 7 of 8 main categories right this year. [/mild horn-tooting]

don't you agree that murray's roles have been extremely simillar since Rushmore... He just plays himself.

People have been saying the same thing about Michael Caine for years. And Brando. And DeNiro. And Penn for that matter.

We are not judging Murray's CAREER here. Having a great range/versatility should be a secondary consideration. Freddy Prinze Jr and Julia Roberts try to play all these different roles....and are totally unconvincing in all of them.

No, give me believability, depth, subtlety and humor any day over self-conscious scenery chewing gymnastics that pass for "range" in the mainsteam lingo these days.

YMMV.

People have been saying the same thing about Michael Caine for years.  And Brando. And DeNiro. And Penn for that matter.

We are not judging Murray's CAREER here.  Having a great range/versatility should be a secondary consideration. Freddy Prinze Jr and Julia Roberts try to play all these different roles....and are totally unconvincing in all of them. 

No, give me believability, depth, subtlety and humor any day over self-conscious scenery chewing gymnastics that pass for "range" in the mainsteam lingo these days. 

YMMV.

I'm actually a huge fan of Murray's recent work, I was just wondering what makes his "acting" in this movie any better than anything else he's done the last 4 years?

And you hit the nail on the head with the word subtlety, that's absolutey the best quality to his acting.

People have been saying the same thing about Michael Caine for years.  And Brando. And DeNiro. And Penn for that matter.

We are not judging Murray's CAREER here.  Having a great range/versatility should be a secondary consideration.

Kudos to casting then for getting the right people for the roles they can shine in.

As far as the subtlety comment on Murray, I do agree and I would have never predicted I'd ever consider him to be capable of subtle delivery based on the Caddy Shack/Meatballs era work.

(Then again, I didn't predict big things for Tom Hanks after Bachelor Party either... although seeing Morgon Freeman as "Easy Reader" on Electric Companyas a kide, I knew he was going places... :D )

I was just wondering what makes his "acting" in this movie any better than anything else he's done the last 4 years?

His Rushmore and especially The Royal Tenenbaums oddball and eccentric caricatures, while imaginative and funny to me, aren't sufficiently 3-dimensional-- weren't intended to be, really.

Lost In Translation, on the other hand, is a legitimate dramatic role, in which BM acquitted himself quite admirably. Good for him.

Kudos to casting then for getting the right people for the roles they can shine in.

Bingo!

Actors are notoriously vain about overestimating their ability/right-ness for the role. For every Julienne Moore or Cate Blanchett or Emily Watson who can play anything and everything, transcending their 'type' limitations.....there are literally 1000's who THINK that dovetailing themselves into the specific role is just a matter of WANTING it.......Guess again. A good casting director is indispensable.

Murray might not have much "range" or whatnot, but boy was he right for the role both physically and temperamentally or what. Kudos to Sophia.

Pirates was an awesome surprise. I went because my son and I were looking for something to do. I was blown away. ROTK also was a huge surprise. I was prepared for a let down (I am a Sox fan). I figured there was no way they could continue to deliver such an great product. Shooting all three at the same time paid off in a big way. How many other sequel movies (I know it's not a true sequel) kept up consistantly high values throughout the run?

Pirates was an awesome surprise. I went because my son and I were looking for something to do. I was blown away. ROTK also was a huge surprise.

Pirates was awesome, but I can't say I was all that thrilled with the last LOTR. Then again, I couldn't stay awake through the first one, but I did like the second one. The third seemed like the second one with a slightly different story line. To each his/her own though.

Pirates was an awesome surprise. I went because my son and I were looking for something to do. I was blown away. ROTK also was a huge surprise. I was prepared for a let down (I am a Sox fan). I figured there was no way they could continue to deliver such an great product. Shooting all three at the same time paid off in a big way. How many other sequel movies (I know it's not a true sequel) kept up consistantly high values throughout the run?

evil dead...evil dead 2...army of darkness

~enough said

ROTK also was a huge surprise. I was prepared for a let down (I am a Sox fan). I figured there was no way they could continue to deliver such an great product. Shooting all three at the same time paid off in a big way. How many other sequel movies (I know it's not a true sequel) kept up consistantly high values throughout the run?

I am not a big fan of the Rings or Peter Jackson (I AM a big fan of Sir Ian McKellan and Cate Blanchett, tho), but I admire the sheer achievement that is the Trilogy.

Matrix, X-men, Harry Potter, SW, etc.....NONE of them can hold a candle to it IMO...in no small part thanks to the LOTR springing from such revered and authoritative source material.

And Pirates was pure camp fun, J-Depp/Jeffrey Rush are always cool. That Kiera Knightly chick(from bend it like beckham) is the next wynona ryder.

evil dead...evil dead 2...army of darkness

~enough said

Here's hoping Kill Bill volume 2 will continue to kick ass and possibly even exceed the first volume.

By the way I don't really understand the big deal with the Evil Dead series. I saw the first one the other day and it was no big deal. The gore was quite good and it was quite a groundbreaking movie, but I just couldn't like it because of the terrible terrible acting. But many people love the series so I guess it's just me. What I'd like is for someone to explain to me why it has been such a successful bunch of movies.

Here's hoping Kill Bill volume 2 will continue to kick ass and possibly even exceed the first volume.

Kill Bill Vol 1 was awesome. Glorious Tarantino fluff.

But I wish I never saw the trailer as the bastards spoiled so much stuff that I knew was coming. Never again. I have taken a moratorium on watching trailers in general, especially Kill Bill Vol 2.

Kill Bill Vol 1 was awesome.    Glorious Tarantino fluff.

But I wish I never saw the trailer as the bastards spoiled so much stuff that I knew was coming.  Never again. I have taken a moratorium on watching trailers in general, especially Kill Bill Vol 2.

Well the Kill Bill volume 2 trailer on the internet contains no spoilers. I believe that most of the trailer won't even be in the movie.