Another great Sox article

quickman

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/col_rozn...?intid=38013174

Once again I am in complete agreement. The Sox need to learn how to speak to the public and the fans. Right now they suck at this and this newspaper is calling them out. Kudos for the Daily Herald to tell it like it is. They are right.

I also agree with his opinion that holding Soxfest on Superbowl weekend was not exactly genius marketing strategy, the Saturday sellout notwithstanding.

The game starts later. In the two soxfest's I attended I got up early had a little breakfast at Lou Mitchells, went to the hyatt about 30 mins before soxfest started, got my auto's and was out of their by five, coming home to the superbowl would have made the day perfect.

Sorry, in my book, baseball is far more important than the Super Bowl.

True Sox fans could give a f*** (pardon my language) less whether or not they hold Soxfest on Super Bowl weekend.

If you care more about the Super Bowl, you don't have to go. No one is forcing anyone to go.

I will see all of you true Sox fans there. :headbang

Please, True sox fans? Please, I am a true sox fan but it appears there are only 12,000 of us, therefore the point is don't do it on that weekend if you want to draw in more people. I agree, with the entire article. For the record I have been a "true" soxfan since 1969, doesn't mean the sox are not stupid.

Please, True sox fans? Please, I am a true sox fan but it appears there are only 12,000 of us, therefore the point is don't do it on that weekend if you want to draw in more people. I agree, with the entire article. For the record I have been a "true" soxfan since 1969, doesn't mean the sox are not stupid.

No the point is that instead of acting like everyone thinks the Super Bowl is god's gift to the world, run your organization as you see fit and don't plan your schedule around the NFL.

True Sox fans could give a f*** (pardon my language) less whether or not they hold Soxfest on Super Bowl weekend.

If you care more about the Super Bowl, you don't have to go.  No one is forcing anyone to go.

I am a one-sport person and follow exclusively baseball due to the fact that I need 5 months in the off season to catch up with the stuff I slacked off on during the summer. But I realize I am the exception rather than the rule, and there are a lot of hardcores who follow 3 or more pro sports and lots of college stuff as well. If the Sox organization wanted to maximize their exposure and their potential attending audience, I'd think they would pick the weekend before or after the single most-watched sports event of the year for a fan convention.

No the point is that instead of acting like everyone thinks the Super Bowl is god's gift to the world, run your organization as you see fit and don't plan your schedule around the NFL.

again the whole point of the article is they run there organization like s***. I won't be there on Sunday, I will e there on saturday. Am I not a true sox fan? Let me know then refund me my season tickets.

The Whitesox are second in this town, they need to do it better than the Cubs or any other sports team. They need to find ways to get people motivated and enthused. They need to do it better.

um....your telling me that your not a true sox fan if you like other sports? That's idiotic, I am as big of a sox fan as anyone, but I'm also a pretty big fan of the bears and football in general. What the sox did was just plain stupid.

Maybe they need an extra week to sign somebody :rolleyes:

How much harder would it have been to have it on the week when there's no football, i.e. this past weekend?

Lots of people have family/get together obligations with the Super Bowl, whether it's on their "must see" list or not.

I can certainly see not having it a week later as that would be cutting it close with getting ready for Tucson (logistics, etc.).

Maybe at this point they just figure, hey, we have it the last week in January, that's it, Super Bowl be damned.

But I think it should be the weekend between the Championship games and the Super Bowl. Maximize the media attention. They need all the help they can get.

um....your telling me that your not a true sox fan if you like other sports?  That's idiotic, I am as big of a sox fan as anyone, but I'm also a pretty big fan of the bears and football in general.  What the sox did was just plain stupid.

Did I say that?

As far as I know, Soxfest ends well before Superbowl kickoff.

In fact I'll probably be back to Louisville in time to catch part of the game.

And as far as Friday and Saturday go, unless you were planning a trip to the Super Bowl or have "pre" Super Bowl parties to attend, then it really has no effect on you watching the game and still being able to attend Soxfest.

What I am saying is that it shouldn't be a big deal whether or not it's on Super Bowl weekend. If you don't want to go because of it, then don't go. Maybe phrasing it in the words of true Sox fan was the wrong way to do it, because I don't doubt that any of you are true fans. Sorry for the confusion there guys and gals.

This article is a good example of how far sports journalism has fallen the past decade or so. Time was, columnists got their facts straight even when they were critical of the team. Back then, writers presented their own ideas of what the team should do. Now, facts are insignificant little things and "attitude" is all important. Journalists now think that the only way to show the right attitude is by trashing the team:

Case in point, Rozner states thusly:

"You have been blamed, criticized and condemned. You have been tormented, afflicted and drummed.

And the worst part is, it's your own team doing it to you.

You've been told that until you blindly support your team, don't expect more than the mediocre squad you got most of last season.

You've been told that until you blindly support your team, don't expect to do more than compete with the wretched rest of the Midwest.

You've been told that until you blindly support your team, don't hold out hope for a playoff-ready rotation or a World Series-caliber starting 10.

You've been told over and over again that it's your fault, and the only surprise is that they haven't blamed you for their horrible baserunning, lousy execution and inconsistent defense.

The White Sox say they will be what they are until you show up in droves to see them play soccer, or whatever it is they usually do in April and May."

First of all, getting 86 wins and finishing just 4 games short of the divison championship is not "mediocre." That's pretty good and it was a lot of fun as well.

Second, nobody's ever told Sox fans to "blindly support your team" whatever that phrase is supposed to mean.

Third, outside of the since departed D'Angelo Jimenez, there was not much in the line of "horrible baserunning, lousy execution and inconsistent defense." In fact, the Sox had the 5th best team defense in the AL in 2003.

Fourth, all KW has said is that the Sox are going into the 2004 season a bit over budget in the expectation that there will be sufficient fan support for the team to not only gain the revenues needed to get out of the red, but to pick up more players later on in the season. Since when is that dumping all over the fans?

Finally, Rozner also included this: "The Sox lost Roberto Alomar, Bartolo Colon, Carl Everett, Tom Gordon, Tony Graffanino and Sullivan - and added a 35-year-old sidearmer in Shingo Takatsu, who throws 85 mph Frisbees and can't strike anyone out." From what I've read about Tatatsu. he's been a pretty effective reliever, strikes batters out and since when is a 85 mph pitch necessarily bad? You don't necessarily need blazing speed to get strikeouts. But Rozner doesn't care about getting his facts straight as long as he can get attention by dumping on Takatsu.

Rozner either is auditioning for a spot in the Cubs Tribune or he's just being a jerk.

I also agree with his opinion that holding Soxfest on Superbowl weekend was not exactly genius marketing strategy, the Saturday sellout notwithstanding.

It's been on SB weekend before. Personally, I don't see the issue. There's 3 days to choose from.

Also.. there's no way of knowing if this is the Sox doing. Perhaps the Hyatt had scheduling conflicts?

If you care more about the Super Bowl, you don't have to go.  No one is forcing anyone to go.

Abo.. I don't think having negative opinions about having it on this weekend makes anyone less of a fan... just one more thing to add to the long list of things to gripe about. They give plenty.

Considering the enitre nation plans there scheduel around the Super Bowl, the Sox should to. Nothing goes agaisnt the SuperBowl, becasue even if your not a football fan, you watch. Im going to a party Sunday where I know 75% of the people arent football fans, and the person thorwing the party isnt a football fan. The Superbowl seems to become a bigger event every year, and the Sox need a good kick in the ass for planing SoxFest on SuperBowl Sunday.

Good point you just proved. It's for the party, not the event. And for the record.. SB ratings have gone down the past several years. The Daytona 500 is fast becomming the most watched sporting event.

The point though isn't about attendance at Soxfest, it's about media coverage of the event.

Here it is 48 hours before Soxfest kicks off and there is How many Sox stories in the papers today vs Super Bowl stories?

Sun Times: 5 Super Bowl - 0 Sox

Tribune: 4 Super Bowl - 1 Sox

Daily Herald: 4 Super Bowl - 0 Sox

Southtown: 4 Super Bowl - 0 Sox

And sadly the one Sox story is a rip job on the org and couldn't possibly be considered positive, and Monday and Tuesday were basically the same and tommorrow and Friday won't be much better. Sports radio except for the KW interview(and bad publicity from it) have been non-stop football/super bowl talk since the weekend, do you think that'll change with them doing live remotes from Houston? To top it all off, come Sunday night with the Sports wrap shows just how much do you think will be devoted to the SB and how much to the Sox?

The point though isn't about attendance at Soxfest, it's about media coverage of the event.

Here it is 48 hours before Soxfest kicks off and there is How many Sox stories in the papers today vs Super Bowl stories?

Sun Times: 5 Super Bowl - 0 Sox

Tribune: 4 Super Bowl - 1 Sox

Daily Herald: 4 Super Bowl - 0 Sox

Southtown: 4 Super Bowl - 0 Sox

And sadly the one Sox story is a rip job on the org and couldn't possibly be considered positive, and Monday and Tuesday were basically the same and tommorrow and Friday won't be much better. Sports radio except for the KW interview(and bad publicity from it) have been non-stop football/super bowl talk since the weekend, do you think that'll change with them doing live remotes from Houston? To top it all off, come Sunday night with the Sports wrap shows just how much do you think will be devoted to the SB and how much to the Sox?

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the media coverage? Will more media coverage help us get another starter? Fill in our problem at 2B? Resolved the Maggs issue? :huh

Am I the only one who doesn't care about the media coverage? Will more media coverage help us get another starter? Fill in our problem at 2B? Resolved the Maggs issue?  :huh

Considering that most of any media coverage of Soxfest will be negative, the less media coverage of SoxFest, the better.

Good point you just proved. It's for the party, not the event. And for the record.. SB ratings have gone down the past several years. The Daytona 500 is fast becomming the most watched sporting event.

Watching auto racing is like watching water boil. Other than the thrill of seeing someone get killed, why does anyone watch it?

Watching auto racing is like watching water boil.  Other than the thrill of seeing someone get killed, why does anyone watch it?

I watch NASCAR. I enjoy watching the passing the wrecks (when there are no injuries, which is most of the time due to all the improvements in safety gear), the science of cars and aerodynamics that's covered during the race and I enjoy the end of race coverage where there is inevitably one racer who loses his cool and tries to deck another racer.

It's an acquired taste.